Ahh Winter the Joys of Horse Ownership know no Bounds!

Chavhorse

Visit site
It has been minus 8 here again last night and we have now crept up to minus 4

Just to cheer everyone up I though I would note my feelings on the absolute joy of looking after a Horse in Winter

Poo Picking
You accept that you need a chisel to get it up off the ground

When picking in the dark with a torch or under the lights of the school it becomes impossible to differentiate between frozen poo and frozen clods of sand or earth at this point you become paranoid that there is something horribly wrong with your horse as it is pooing so much. Remembering that Google is your friend you make the mistake of Googling too much poo this gives you something else to worry about see watering and turnout below.

Some of the more strange liveries actually make “oh it looks quite pretty” at the frost covered diamond sparking mounds of poo

After 20 minutes you pray for a fresh one as at least it will warm your hands up!

Watering
At the first sign of frost the highly expensive automatic watering system will freeze up this necessitates a long walk up to the house as this is the only part of the pipe system that is not frozen .

Your horse (now used to the highly expensive automatic watering system) will now either be terrified of the bucket in its stall or tip it over causing a curling rink effect in the barn and chuck the bucket over the door at your head as you skid past.

Out of desperation and in a Eureka moment you pour water into the feeding trough only to forget what you have done 4 hours later and serve your horse muesli and Lucerne Grass soup.

You also become aware of just how much your horse is drinking in gallons, out of interest Google the “normal amount for a 17hh warmblood” this of course gives you something else to worry about. See Poo Picking above and turnout below..

Rugging
What was once so easy (medium weight turnout 24/7) now becomes very complicated, do you go into a heavyweight turnout and a heavy weight stable blanket, stick with the medium weight TO and put a medium weight stable underneath, where does fleece come into the equation, is wool better, neck cover only when out or in as well. You make the mistake of not only googling what rug weight for minus 36 degrees but you also post a question on a Horse Forum this starts the Inevitable knock fight of over rugging under rugging and some poor soul will become forced into saying My horse my choice so naff off! you start to wish for the days of Jute Rugs and Witney Blankets and no ther choice!

Having made the decision to layer you realise that your horse with his 3 layers is now looking like a bondage victim with all the surcingles, leg straps, neck straps and heavens knows what else. You wonder if they make Gimp Masks in W/B size but decide not to google it in case your OH finds your browsing history.

On the bright side the level of bite marks from the playful field companions goes down, best not to look too closely at the rugs though and start to tot up the repair costs.

Turnout
Your cat loving neighbour approachs you and says you are cruel putting those poor horses outside in the cold weather. This in spite of the fact the horse is wearing the equivalent of a 20 tog duvet and a mackintosh or has a coat that is more like thatch and enough blubber to see it through a nuclear winter. You remain cool calm and collected remembering that neighbourly relations need to be kept good and gently remind the mad old bint about the time she thought the poor horses were dead rather than sunbathing and how annoyed the police were at the emergency call.

You watch as your pride and joy gallops around bronching with his field pal over earth as hard as iron just waiting for the limping to begin, shouting stop it you silly arse has no effect....you start to Google "injuries caused from hard ground" but at least it gives you something else to worry about - See Poo picking and watering above.

Riding
Ahh who can resist the total and absolute joy of hacking through frost covered fields, looking at the beautiful frost covered trees and the frozen rivers and lakes……On horse that has done nothing for weeks but stand rugged up, eating its head off and now it is outside wants to GOOOOO eyes on stalks, jogging and spooking at everything it sees, some things it believes it sees, and its own excitement farts, add some locals dressed in a selection of woolly hats, boots and maybe even killer walking poles and you have the recipe for a lovely relaxed ride NOT!

When your school finally thaws out you book a lesson. You wear, a thermal vest, t-shirt, thin jumper, thick jumper, and thick coat, gloves, thick socks and a woolly hat over your riding helmet, You wonder why suddenly you do not feel as flexible as you normally do.

It is now snowing so am off to buy a sleigh!

Chestnutmare

Visit site
PMSL...this post has really made me chuckle...I was going to post something similar too....cos I too have forgotton what doing horses is like in winter...
crazy.gif
the taps freezing...so I empty her old water on the floor and then try to get water working...doh rule 101 error....thankfully water in stables on main yard are working...so had to lug it up from there...not good!
frown.gif
mad.gif

Hard ground - even though she's on box rest still...
frown.gif

Cant comment on poo picking again as dont do any.
grin.gif

It is snowing here too this am...yay i love the snow but doing them in snow is somewhat more trickier....merls used to love the snow...it makes them turn into daft youngsters all over again....wish I could let mins out in it..oh well!
frown.gif
tongue.gif

we do all this because?.
confused.gif
confused.gif
........errrrrr........oh yeah we love our horses thats why....LOL
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

MyBoyChe

Visit site
And just think how much fitter and healthier we are than our non horsey friends who are still lying in a nice warm bed/crashed in front of TV/sat in pub whilst we are out in the nice fresh air!!!
tongue.gif

kittykatcat

Visit site
OMG that is the funniest thing...i have actually just printed it off and pinned it on my desk!!! Was SO up for riding last night, only to discover that the school had actually turned into the moon...rock solid and full of ruts and craters, almost broke my leg testing it out...oh the joys of my first winter without an indoor school!!!

Enfys

Visit site
LMAO here.
smile.gif
Very good.

I can't believe you actually poo pick at those temps though! Once the stuff starts welding itself to the ground with me, welded it stays and I hope the snow covers it so I don't have to see the mess. I scrape the paddocks with the tractor when the thaw comes.

Hippona

Visit site
Have you noticed...during summer when we skip around in tee-shirts going la-la-la ....you forget how BAD winter is?

I'm at the point where I'm more looking forward to the shortest day than Christmas, because I know the slow journey to light summer evenings will have begun.....I just look at the pic in my siggy...it keeps me going..... and bears no resemblance the horses I will drag in from the field tonight
grin.gif

Chavhorse

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Love it.

Just missed the bit about the joys of cleaning 'going green tack" with freezing water!

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope draw the line there.....it comes home a sheet goes on the living room floor and I do it in hot water then wrap it up so the ruddy dogs don't lick all the leather oil off
grin.gif

f_s_

Visit site
PMSL !!!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Very, very funny CH
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I will just add, when they all decide to play the Christmas party game "pick a paddock!!"" and you have to get the lump hammer, man with muscles, JCB etc...to push the bl**dy posts back in through the rock hard iron ground!!!
shocked.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Googling furiously - "How to put up a horse proof fence in thirty seconds without it resulting in divorce!!!"
shocked.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Fransurrey

Visit site
Brilliant post! Just what I needed and all so, so true (although my exmoors aren't rugged, thankfully - don't think I could cope with their wardrobe decisions in addition to my own!).

SaffronWelshDragon

www.facebook.com
LOL great post! I couldn't face doing the poo-picking this morning, I always use gloves to do it and the damn stuff is welded to the ground
frown.gif
The girls currently have the run of the full 6 acres which they seem happy about, although can't figure out the the grass is under the frost. Haven't ridden for at least a week, typical for winter, although the little'uns went for a walk with the dog this morning. I'm off to clean my tack in order to feel like I'm doing something productive.

catdragon

Visit site
After 20 minutes you pray for a fresh one as at least it will warm your hands up!

Yup !! Im with you on this one !!

But... At least if the grounds frozen, the barrow won't get stuck in the mud.... I HATE dragging a barrow full of heavy wet poo through 8" of mud
frown.gif