AI & Scans etc - How much?

H-J

www.piczo.com
Going to phone the vets on Monday about the packaes they offer for the scans and AI etc for Spider but just wondered on average how much is it? And how much have you paid and what did you get in the package?

Thanks
smile.gif

xfeex

Visit site
I paid about £200 (I think its about £250 now) in a vet package from the studs vet, which for one it worked out way cheaper as she had to be washed out, AI'd, jabbed to bring in season, scanned lots, alsorts!

The other mare It worked out just a bit dearer becaiuse she took first time, natural covering so just needed scanning.

The man at the stud said the very 'tarty' mares usually are harder to get in foal and the ones that dont seem 'tarty' at all normally take easily.

That was definatly the case with my two, the one I thought would take took two years! She really wanted a foal too she even stole a highland calf off its mum
shocked.gif

AndyPandy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The man at the stud said the very 'tarty' mares usually are harder to get in foal and the ones that dont seem 'tarty' at all normally take easily.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure about this. The only reason I could think that it might make sense would be that, if the stud were not getting a vet to scan, and going by estrous behaviour only, then they might miss ovulation and be covering/AI'ing too soon or too late in mares that are more "tarty"... not a good sign. At any rate, I don't think that the statement is true.

neverlate

Visit site
I am getting the semen posted up to me and the vet is traveling out to my stables, wich is ten mins ish from vets. and the whole package is £249, including all scans, wash out if needed, insemination, if i need sedative, it will be £11 more, and if i need regumate it will be £45 more,
If she doesnt take 1st time, its a little less for 2nd attempt.
I dont know how much it will cost in total. i have to admit im a little worried about it, but the stallion i want only does ai.

meridian

Visit site
I have managed to get a great deal this year on a scanning package thats exclusive to my stud £126 + VAT. Insemination is £15. you main cost comes from the type of livery you require.

Do a bit of ringing around to find somewhere that co-insides with your budget.

Meridian

irishdraught

Visit site
My vet is doing an AI package for £325 + VAT for up to 3 cycles. Includes:
Initial assessment, swabs & lab fees, all scans, insemination (upto 3 cycles), semen storage & handling, ovulation induction agents, oyytocin & wash outs, pregnancy diagnosis at 14 & 28 days, up to one week grass livery.

Sounds expensive but I trust them totally. Still cheaper (for me) than sending away to stud & transport costs.

machannah

Visit site
Mine was £325 + VAT, same type of package as irishdraught. However it was also about the right place and trusting them. Both times we were successful on the 1st covering (one chilled and one fresh). I am also very lucky that the vets in question is a 25min drive from where I am, so my mare didnt have to stay, I just drove her up there when it was necessary.