AIBU (Pony Shopping)

buddylove

Visit site
So far, in my pony shopping experience, I have had a pretty easy ride, but this search is proving a little more difficult.
So I am just after a bit of a sense check from the good people of HHO to check that I am being reasonable with budget and wish list.......
We are into second PC pony territory, something around 14-14.2hh, her first pony has done a sterling job and as well as getting too tall she is ready to move onto something with a bit more scope. But we are not yet in the territory of a full on comp/teams pony. So this one will be a stepping stone, capable of jumping up to 80, and have experience in the arena and cross country.
Can be a mare or a gelding, the only thing I am not looking for is a cob. As much as I can appreciate a cob in all it's glory, they are just not for me. Wouldn't mind a cross, just nothing that needs it's legs clipping every few weeks!
So, to the crux, is a budget of £8k going to get us what we need, or do I need to delay the search and get some more dosh together?

millikins

Visit site
Have a look on NFED, may be too far away for you but several likely ones at around your budget, would give you an idea of what £8K could get you.

ihatework

Visit site
I think it depends on what sort of age you are looking for. If outside of the golden 7-11 bracket then I think your budget is reasonable

buddylove

Visit site
I think it depends on what sort of age you are looking for. If outside of the golden 7-11 bracket then I think your budget is reasonable
Would be happy with something in it's early to mid teens for sure ?
She is not at the stage where she would want to bring on a youngster (she's only 10) ?

maya2008

Visit site
I agree a loan might be easier if this is just a stepping stone to bigger things. Especially if you’re happy to take on something older through the winter, perhaps it would be worth looking? Although my ten year old still has at least a year left on the 12hh ponies so haven’t had to worry about one that big yet!

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
Cast your net wider within the Pony Club network..not just your own…a 14.2 black gelding is up for sale locally up here…he s been out competing and can jump but can be a bit hot and is probably half your budget. If I can find out where he is being advertised I ll post on here.

throwaway2022

Visit site
I agree a loan might be easier if this is just a stepping stone to bigger things. Especially if you’re happy to take on something older through the winter, perhaps it would be worth looking? Although my ten year old still has at least a year left on the 12hh ponies so haven’t had to worry about one that big yet!

Same here with my 10yo, although I think she'll be on ponies forever considering how short her Dad and I are ;)

minesadouble

Visit site
I bought what you are looking for in August and paid 9k for pony and a bit more for tack.

15.yrs.registered Connemara mare. Been on PC and RC teams for dressage, SJ and eventing.
Placed BE80s and is pretty,. sensible, and a lovely person to boot. My youngest daughter is having a whale of a time with her and is progressing at a rate of knots. So I'm sure the pony you are looking for is out there somewhere.

.I put a wanted ad on the.PC ponies FB page stating exactly what we were looking for and her owner contacted me. So that may be worth a try.