Aintree BSJA Report - a long day & equally long report!

Befney3

Visit site
Took Chilli to Aintree today for their BSJA on the grass. I still get a bit aprehensive about jumping on grass as Chilli has the occasional 'ex-racer moment' where he forgets everything he's learnt about showjumping & thinks grass = gallop. Also we've been BSJAing a fair bit recently but seem to be a bit stuck on 4 & 8 fault first rounds.
frown.gif
Anyway I set off in a positive mood with all the car windows open & the top doors open in the trailer in the hope that we wouldn't get too hot on the journey.

When we got there they were just jumping off the Foxhunter so I watched that then walked for the BN, which looked lovely & small after the Fox fences.
grin.gif
Once I'd walked I hopped on work Chilli in. Unfortunatley I only had my Dad with me & he isn't very good at building fences so I ended up with a fairly strange warm up as I just had to jump what was up. Started with the oxer
blush.gif
& Chilli jumped it fab. I then jumped the vertical & he got dangly legs & hit it a couple of times but it was my turn to go in so I just thought I'd have to cross my fingers & hope for the best.

Anyway, went in & spooked at the shed on the far side of the arena then set off at racehorse pace. Cleared no.1 then I sat there like a lemon as we raced at no.2 but we cleared it fine. After no.2 I decided to ride my horse rather than just sit on him & he popped 3 nicely, was a bit messy over the double at no.4 but got over it, popped 5 & 6 well then just tapped 7 as I'd had to take a pull & we hadn't really got the canter sorted but it stayed up.
grin.gif
No.8 was another double & the last part of the first phase. We cleared that & flew onto the second phase where we just tapped no.10 & it fell for 4 faults.

It's the first time we've gone clear in the first round of a BN & although I'd have loved a double clear I'm very happy with how Chilli went today. I feel like we're getting somewhere now. One thing that seemed to make a difference today was that I felt I rode the canter more forward than usual. I've had a few lessons recently & I'm constantly told I need more canter so I think today I got it & it helped Chilli find his stride better.
grin.gif

So after a good afternoon we set off home & were all happy until I reached the end of the M58 where we join the M6 & I put my foot on my clutch to change gear & nothing happened, my clutch pedal was stuck down.
shocked.gif
Luckily I had slowed for the junction which was only 100 yards away & was only doing about 5mph but I had to stop on the motorway with my hazards on & wait for rescue.
frown.gif
The very nice Highway Patrol men very quickly found us on their routine patrol but the police (who I'd phoned as I was in the outside lane of a two lane motorway junction) never arrived.
confused.gif
The car & trailer had to be towed to the hard shoulder by the Highway Patrol men & I had to ring my friends Mum to come & get the trailer with Chilli in whilst my Dad waited with my car for the AA.

I didn't know the AA won't recover a trailer with a horse in it. So I now need to go & find myself a breakdown company that will 'cos I never want a repeat of today. Luckily Chilli was a star & stood in the trailer wondering what the fuss was about but happily eating his haynet. I've never been happier to get back to the yard tho.

Well, thanks for reading, sorry it's so long & ice cream (Ben & Jerrys Phish Food) & cider if you got this far.
cool.gif

AutumnRose

Visit site
Well done for the jumping
smile.gif

My absolute nightmare is getting stuck on the motorway witha horse on the back, i am so worried about it happening everytime i go on motorway in box!!!! How horrid but at least your pony was fine and behaved well!!!

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
Well done, I avoid Aintree on grass with mine, because I have a feeling it will just undo all my good work. We work on the basis that SJ on all weather or indoors, and grass (especially surrounded by running rails!) is for galloping, racing and eating!
tongue.gif
Notice how dressage doesn't figure
wink.gif

dixie

Visit site
Well done on the sj.

With regard to horsebox/trailer rescue try Equine Rescue Services Ltd on 0800 032 8321. I have't had to use them yet but am a member, its about £45 so well worth the peace of mind.

Befney3

Visit site
Actually breaking down wasn't too bad 'cos the Highway Patrol were really good & got us onto the hard shoulder nice & quickly, it was just the waiting around & sorting out what effectively became two vehicles rather than one. I'm so glad Chilli was good tho 'cos it would have been horrible if he wasn't.

I think I'll be a bit nervous for my next trip tho. I only passed my trailer test in January & I still get a bit
ooo.gif
sometimes.

Befney3

Visit site
I actually thought the way it's set out on the grass was good & it was lovely & quiet but I do much prefer a surface with nice solid walls or fences. And dressage? What's dressage?!
tongue.gif

diggerbez

Visit site
i have OHTO (http://www.ohto.co.uk/index.html) and really rate them- have called them out a couple of times - most notably when my piece of crap equitrek wheel fell off on the most dangerous A road in Britain!
blush.gif
and they have been efficient and great at getting me sorted