Aintree Grand National Meeting

Kadastorm

Visit site
@Smitty i know! Poor little guy!

Really interesting to see the stewards enquiry. Rachel Blackmore was the straightest and Paul Townend did run all over the place. Would have been interesting to see the result had they all ran in their ‘lane’.

Clodagh

Visit site
I’m a bit Humpf at JP winning it. Hardly an amateur concept!
And trained by a pro trainer? I thought they had to be trained by an ‘amateur’?

Last edited:

Snowfilly

Visit site
I’m a bit Humpf at JP winning it. Hardly an amateur concept!
And trained by a pro trainer? I thought they had to be trained by an ‘amateur’?

If they limited it to amateur trainers, I doubt they’d have six horses. I go pointing a fair bit and aside from the member’s race and very occasionally the maiden, they’re all professionally trained and produced. The days of people racing their own hunter are gone.

Clodagh

Visit site
If they limited it to amateur trainers, I doubt they’d have six horses. I go pointing a fair bit and aside from the member’s race and very occasionally the maiden, they’re all professionally trained and produced. The days of people racing their own hunter are gone.
I suppose, I thought it used to be pretended that an amateur trained them, so the real trainers partner or something. JP comes across as a nice chap and has a lovely retirement pad for his horses, so I’ll let him off.

Snowfilly

Visit site
Another lovely race to watch! Some good jumping on display and the ground didn’t seem to be too much of a hassle.

Does anyone know how the jockey hurt in the Foxhunters is?

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I actually managed to get 1 winner, 3 seconds and 2 thirds in the ITV 7 which is my best score after doing it 3 times . my pick in the last race was pulled up, I nearly picked Bryony but changed my mind at the last minute… I am really pleased she had a good win, nice to see her joy… message to myself - must do better !!! I’ve also entered the sweepstake on ITV,

Smitty

Visit site
30 years ago I had a £1.00 to win bet (I was rich then! 😂) on a 20/1 horse, bred, trained and ridden all by same chap. Suppose he was a permit holder. Can't remember what the race was, think it was one of the last at a summer at meeting at Stratford, but it did win.

Haven't most pointers been trained by Professionals and their side kicks for many years now? Do they still have to turn up at a couple of meets to qualify?

JP used to be a very shadowy figure that you never saw, and was referred to as the legendary gambler, JP McManus. I was surprised when he turned out to be a very affable, ordinary chap😅.

I hope the horse of his that came in 5th in a grade 4 hurdle at Taunton in March gets a glamorous retirement, same as his brilliant ones😊. It was very sweet and did try...

Clodagh

Visit site
30 years ago I had a £1.00 to win bet (I was rich then! 😂) on a 20/1 horse, bred, trained and ridden all by same chap. Suppose he was a permit holder. Can't remember what the race was, think it was one of the last at a summer at meeting at Stratford, but it did win.

Haven't most pointers been trained by Professionals and their side kicks for many years now? Do they still have to turn up at a couple of meets to qualify?

JP used to be a very shadowy figure that you never saw, and was referred to as the legendary gambler, JP McManus. I was surprised when he turned out to be a very affable, ordinary chap😅.

I hope the horse of his that came in 5th in a grade 4 hurdle at Taunton in March gets a glamorous retirement, same as his brilliant ones😊. It was very sweet and did try...
I bet JP is less affable in his business dealings than he is at the races! He’d not have any money otherwise 😄.
I don’t think he can possibly retire all his horses to his, he must have thousands, but you never hear anything shady so 🤞
Thankfully pointers no longer have to go hunting, they just have to pay a sub. They were always a bit lively!

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Just started watching, have the GN fences been made smaller?

Got to hope more for rain/heavy, or they'll just fly over them which is more risky

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
They just look so small I think on the second circuit even I would have a crack at them provided I could cling on to a neck strap

I think it's made them less safe as they will just hurdle them now, even the chase fences look stiffer, put the height back up so they back off. Now we will get the flat long and low hurdle style jumps

Need the ground to stay wet to keep the speed down

I know there's safety but its starting to feel very meh, and I don't think they've made it as safe as they think by making them small

I get maybe removing the drop at Beecher's (which now looks like any of the other fences) but keep the height. A couple of inches is quite significant too