Aintree

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Some of the bets they're talking about are obscene- 195k someone apparently just put on. I'd love to have 195k and I sure as he'll wouldn't be gambling it

Looks like it was landed too ?

What a sit by Sam! I'd need new knickers and would be on the floor!

Last edited:

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Watching the clips of Red Rum winning his 3rd GN, and the total carnage behind him, and the drop on Beechers, you can absolutely understand AP's comments. Tomorrows course is a long distance chase with fences covered in fir. There is rightly so, no comparison and no one would want to see the awful carnage that I and others of my age will remember.

Lets hope they all come home safe.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Watching the clips of Red Rum winning his 3rd GN, and the total carnage behind him, and the drop on Beechers, you can absolutely understand AP's comments. Tomorrows course is a long distance chase with fences covered in fir. There is rightly so, no comparison and no one would want to see the awful carnage that I and others of my age will remember.

Lets hope they all come home safe.

I completely agree with him about TR never being comparable to Red Rum. Would TR win over the fences Red Rum did? I'm not so sure.

Unfortunately I see TR greedy owners keeping him going to "try and emulate Red Rum" wish they'd just retire him!

Is it me or have there been no adverts? What a treat!

humblepie

Visit site
I am old enough to have watched Red Rum and he was truly amazing - just seeing that film about him going into the hotel bar was fabulous. Tiger Roll is a fabulous horse as well to have won what he has won as well. I never like comparing different generations be it horses or F1 drivers. Livelovelaugh who just won was having a ball over those fences.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I saw Red Rum parade at Bicton too! Such a handsome chap.

I also saw him many years later as an old horse, parading at a Cheshire team chase. He'd lost his lovely muscling by then, but as soon as he realised he was the centre of attention again he grew a hand taller, the years fell away, and he proudly accepted the applause of the crowd.

Visit site
I'm impressed he lasted home! He borderline looked like he was being run away with a bit at the start.

Has he bit his lip, or does he have pink lips?

He was being run away with a bit, the horse is a thug at the best of times ? so he has probably bit his lip too! We knew he stayed 3m as he won his ptp over 3m by 30l but its a different kettle of fish asking them to do it in a Grade 1 against proven Grade 1 horses.

He is part owned by LVR's dad so he will be over the moon too!

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I never bet but usually pick a couple for the GN, watching the virtual one for pointers as its usually fairly accurate. So many adverts!

Bob notacob

Visit site
I just love this race. Its a shame that the jockey club had to take actions that were contrary to horse safety to apease the ignorant public. Ultimately the race is too fast . Lowering and softening fences has made it so. Bring back the stiff fences to slow the beggers down.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I just love this race. Its a shame that the jockey club had to take actions that were contrary to horse safety to apease the ignorant public. Ultimately the race is too fast . Lowering and softening fences has made it so. Bring back the stiff fences to slow the beggers down.

I agree look how easy the fences were made to look in the Topham, it almost ruins the spectacle of the GN fences. Surely there's a way to keep the height, but make them safer.

Bob notacob

Visit site
Make them big makes them safer .lOOK AT OLD GN PATHE FOOTAGE . i got taught how to jump those fences by someone who had. The public want softer fences but dont understand that this means faster jumping .

Clodagh

Visit site
I hear Harry Cobden got an 8 day ban for the Melling Chase. That’s a lot! I thought he’d get 3.

As for the GN it is now just a long distance chase like the Eider. My least favourite form of horse racing and pretty disinteresting. I agree with AP completely.
Also agree with AA that it would not be an acceptable image nowadays to be like it was BITD.

Visit site
You can read all of the stewards reports online a few hours after racing. Here is what it says about the Cobden incident:

An enquiry was held to consider interference having jumped the third last fence when POLITOLOGUE (FR), placed fourth, ridden by Harry Cobden, caused interference to NUTS WELL, placed second, ridden by Danny McMenamin, which in turn interfered with MASTER TOMMYTUCKER, placed seventh, ridden by Sam Twiston-Davies. Mark Walsh, the rider of the winner, FAKIR D’OUDAIRIES (FR), was also interviewed, but found not to be involved. Cobden was suspended for 8 days for improper riding as he had intentionally ridden across to cause interference to McMenamin, which in turn caused interference to Twiston-Davies on the rail.

https://www.britishhorseracing.com/racing/stewards-reports/

fankino04

Visit site
Can someone in the know advise how much smaller the fences have got over the last 10 years, yesterday they looked tiny compared to a few years ago. Is Bob right that making them smaller increases speed and therefore increases risks? (This is what I always thought) would limiting the numbers not be a better safety precaution rather than lessening the challenge of the race?

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
They did look tiny, especially when the fluff was knocked off those at the back could almost step over them, barely anything happened in the Topham, obviously it's good all were OK but it didn't feel like a race over the GN fences, it'll be the same today if most get round for a long time.

Was there not a way to keep the height, but make them safer. I agree with Bob not a Cob as surely if they are bigger and more solid you almost have to ride it like its a fence out eventing. Whereas now they can just brush most of the fluff off them and not have to jump as well, especially if you're towards the back

Probably the chase fences as harder, as they are stiffer

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
@Elf On A Shelf you're probably best to ask as you have connections with One for Arthur - are they doing the past winners parade this year or are they not able due to wanting minimal people there due to covid? I always enjoy seeing them all parade