Aintree

Visit site
I know Rachael Blackmore doesn't like to be referred to as a Female Jockey - she is just a Jockey - but I am sure she won't mind her name being down in the record books for what she has done this year! Champion Rider at Cheltenham and now to follow it up with the National! And De Bromhead too! What a year he is having!

Sports Personality of the Year? Far more worthy of the nomination and accolade than Holly Doyle!

Visit site
There have been so many broken back legs on the flat lately, surely this needs investigating?

We had one at Aintree too a few months ago.

A few of the vets I have spoken to at the races were seeing more injuries in the first few weeks of the return to racing than you normally would - they put this down to horses having extended time off due to covid then being rushed back. As the season has gone on there was a lull in the middle for injuries, and now towards the end of it a few more horses are picking up injuries, the effects of a long season off the back of an extended holiday. We shall see if they pull some stats together for publishing in time.

Kadastorm

Visit site
Very sad for Long Miles connections. there have been so many breaks on the flat recently.

I also hope Bryony is ok.

Harry Cobden has facial fractures after his fall earlier in the afternoon.

But history made. Great ride Rachael, well done to Henry and the Irish who have thrashed our butts!

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
We had one at Aintree too a few months ago.

A few of the vets I have spoken to at the races were seeing more injuries in the first few weeks of the return to racing than you normally would - they put this down to horses having extended time off due to covid then being rushed back. As the season has gone on there was a lull in the middle for injuries, and now towards the end of it a few more horses are picking up injuries, the effects of a long season off the back of an extended holiday. We shall see if they pull some stats together for publishing in time.

Do you think they would cause back legs to break as presumably they'd have still been able to do the day to day training, and jump racing didn't have that much cancelled did it? I know you wouldn't have "match fitness" but think there was a weekend where about 3 went on the televised races, they definitely need to do some sort of investigation but would they want to "draw attention" to it, hoping the day to day punter won't care?

Visit site
All racing was cancelled when we went into lockdown in March last year. Jump racing did not start again until July. Most of the horses running through the winter would have been roughed off mid-end April and come back in at the start of July. They have had an extra month off. Plus I suspect a lot didn't get wound down as normal as with no racing to go to no owners wanted to pay training fees for horses that had no where to race for the forseeable future.

Smitty

Visit site
There have been so many broken back legs on the flat lately, surely this needs investigating?

Does roadwork have anything to do with this?

Traditionally, hunters, racehorses etc did roadwork at a walk and trot to harden their legs. I used to see strings of horses from a local trainer on the roads, plus pointers from the local yards. Not so much now, due I suppose to increased and faster traffic. So, do their legs need different surfaces to withstand the work we ask of them? Just musing...

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
I think that's a valid point Smitty. I am no expert on racehorses, Elf certainly is so would be interested in her view. However my old vet always said that there was no substitute for road work and that horses that were constantly worked on a surface may have less concussion injuries but were prone to many others. Certainly as far as hunters are concerned I still do plenty of roadwork.

Visit site
Most yards do still do road work to get to and from their gallops though a lot just chuck them on the horse walker instead. So they do still do the walking and trotting but the surface is different for each yard.

We have to go on road for 1.5miles to get to and from our main gallop at one yard. The other yard they don't see tarmac beyond the drive.