Air jacket..remembering to unclip!

kinnygirl1

Visit site
Just bought myself an air jacket at bramham horse trials. Very excited about riding in it but terrified I will forget to unclip it before I get off after a ride and ending up scaring horse and costing myself a bomb in canisters. Do any air jacket wearers have any handy tips for ways of reminding yourself to unclip at the end of a ride?

Also, it seems quite heavy with the canister and all compared to my body protector Do you just get used to that as time goes on?

asommerville

Visit site
It's easy to get used to and at £18 a good you'll soon remember - the thought of that amount of money also gives you a remarkably sticky bottom I've found!!

Tamski

Visit site
You get used to it just like taking your feet out of your stirrups before you get off. I do mine at the same time so feet out, unclip, get off.

Takes a bit of getting used to. I have done a whole ride and forgotten to clip on! Also managed to get on once, clip myself on then realise I didn't have my hat on!

pony&cow

Visit site
Also managed to get on once, clip myself on then realise I didn't have my hat on!

Ive done this too! Althought much to my amazement I have never dismounted clipped up yet.... £18 is 2 bags of fast fibre!!!!!
Im one of those naughty ones that dismounts by putting one leg over the front of the saddle, you soon unclip when your leg wont go any further.

Tobiano

Visit site
i forget to unclip about 50% of the time when getting off but luckily my horse is only 15.2hh and it has never gone off yet!

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
You do remember. I have never forgotten to unclip yet, although it did help that to start with everytime i hacked out in it my friends would shout 'UNCLIP' as we got back to the yard gates!!

wilsha

Visit site
Air jackets have a 6 stone pull on the., so 6 stone in pressure must be pulled onto the lanyard to set the jacket off, so basically if you get off very carefully and slowly, from a smaller horse your jacket may not go off

kinnygirl1

Visit site
Thanks everyone .... I think I will try to remind myself by doing it as I take feet out stirrups. It's gonna be weird! I was talking to someone today at bramham who suggested tying a coloured ribbon on horses mane to remind myself to unclip until I get used to it.