Air jacket to protect pelvis and hips

Foxy O

Visit site
Hi All, recently fell off and fractured my hip. When I get back on I am looking for an air jacket that will hopefully protect those areas. I have had a look and some air jackets seem short.
I was wearing a body protector when I fell which saved me from spinal damage but now I want something to wear over that to protect my hips and pelvis.
Any recommendations please?

Annagain

Visit site
I don't think any of them go down far enough to protect your pelvis and hips - riding requires them to be short so you can sit on the horse properly. I have a Helite and still ended up with a hell of a bruise on my bum when I fell off and landed on it.

Foxy O

Visit site
I don't think any of them go down far enough to protect your pelvis and hips - riding requires them to be short so you can sit on the horse properly. I have a Helite and still ended up with a hell of a bruise on my bum when I fell off and landed on it.
Thanks, are any of them longer than others at the back? I don't want to lose another 6 months of riding :(

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
My P2 covers to the base of my spine at the back and the points of my pelvis at the front.

ycbm

Visit site
You might find these threads helpful

ycbm

Visit site
It does seem to be the longest at the back so they are looking the best at the moment 😊

The Hit Air is pinned up at the back, it comes down when it inflates. In that respect I think it's better than the P2, which can catch on the cantle, but if you read the first thread I pointed to, there are some real drawbacks with warranty, safe length of use, and service, and there are aspects of the design that some don't like.

Maxidoodle

Visit site
Hi All, recently fell off and fractured my hip. When I get back on I am looking for an air jacket that will hopefully protect those areas. I have had a look and some air jackets seem short.
I was wearing a body protector when I fell which saved me from spinal damage but now I want something to wear over that to protect my hips and pelvis.
Any recommendations please?
I don’t think anything would go down far enough for hips (and pelvis), could you have a look at motorbike rider accessories, they sell hip protectors to slot into motorbike trousers, perhaps you could try motorbike trousers or fashion a way for the hip protectors to be worn under your existing riding gear.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
We've discussed padded breeches or undergarments before. I have no idea of the practicality or advisability of using ice hockey or biking protective gear for riding but d3o would probably be the best tech materials for the job and it's used in those items.

Britestar

Visit site
Did you have a replacement or DHS?

I understand the fear, but in reality, once you're back on, it usually fades away.

If you're very traumatised by the fall, then some work with a confidence / mind set coach will be really useful.

Birker2020

Visit site
The Hit Air is pinned up at the back, it comes down when it inflates. In that respect I think it's better than the P2, which can catch on the cantle, but if you read the first thread I pointed to, there are some real drawbacks with warranty, safe length of use, and service, and there are aspects of the design that some don't like.
Reluctantly sadly agree with YCBM. I've recently heard that you are meant to replace the Hit Air every four years! Yikes. After spending £440 on it I won't be doing that. I bought mine Nov 2014 at YHL. I've deliberately set it off once, and I've taken a very silly fall when my saddle slipped and I half slid/half fell off the damn thing. Got it serviced that time. :( I'm glad I haven't had worse falls but after having 14 years of concussion history/SI damage falling from Bailey and being carted off on a spinal board around 4 times I wish I'd have had it on then.

I was not told at the POS that I would have to replace after four years so I'm a bit disappointed tbh.

Birker2020

Visit site
OP if you are who I think you are (a friend has recently broken her hip and is off for 3 months) you are welcome to try my Hit Air on for size and see how it fits downwards.

Foxy O

Visit site
OP if you are who I think you are (a friend has recently broken her hip and is off for 3 months) you are welcome to try my Hit Air on for size and see how it fits downwards.
Thank you, I have now bought a second hand point two air jacket, I have gone for a larger size to go over my body protector and hopefully cover the hips better :)

Foxy O

Visit site
Reluctantly sadly agree with YCBM. I've recently heard that you are meant to replace the Hit Air every four years! Yikes. After spending £440 on it I won't be doing that. I bought mine Nov 2014 at YHL. I've deliberately set it off once, and I've taken a very silly fall when my saddle slipped and I half slid/half fell off the damn thing. Got it serviced that time. :( I'm glad I haven't had worse falls but after having 14 years of concussion history/SI damage falling from Bailey and being carted off on a spinal board around 4 times I wish I'd have had it on then.

I was not told at the POS that I would have to replace after four years so I'm a bit disappointed tbh.
Eek having to replace after 4 years is not good. Point Two offer a half price air vest if you send any one in to them doesn't matter what make

Foxy O

Visit site
Did you have a replacement or DHS?

I understand the fear, but in reality, once you're back on, it usually fades away.

If you're very traumatised by the fall, then some work with a confidence / mind set coach will be really useful.
My hip was left to heal naturally hence it's taking so long. I think I am definitely going to get a session or two with a confidence coach as I need it

ycbm

Visit site
For anyone looking for extra protection, I've just been told by a friend that kevlar padded pants for skateboarders have hip and sacroiliac protection and are comfortable to ride in.

Britestar

Visit site
Oh that's a different approach. Hope it heals well.

Have a look at this lady.

She's very good.

My hip was left to heal naturally hence it's taking so long. I think I am definitely going to get a session or two with a confidence coach as I need

Foxy O

Visit site
For anyone looking for extra protection, I've just been told by a friend that kevlar padded pants for skateboarders have hip and sacroiliac protection and are comfortable to ride in.
Wow I will look inti those :)