Air jackets-worth investing in one?

horselady

Visit site
Hi,
So after another fall resulting in "possibly long term damage to the back muscles" as I landed flats on my back taking the impact on my back I was wondering if an air jacket would be any good at protecting my back in a fall? If so which one is best? I really can't afford to do too much more damage on my back even though it's lots better than it was. If an air jacket is no good what else would you think? I already always wear a body protector after the first fall.

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
air jackets are brilliant, I took a really nasty fall in mine out hunting, completely supported my neck and back. I have a Hit-Air. Far better than the Point 2 in my opinion.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I don't like the Hit Air having a big piece missing at the base of the neck. It's a P2 or Helite for me. But yes, they really do protect your back, I've fallen on a road on mine and bounced.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Recently flew off sidewards and hit and took out two panels of wooden fencing. Jacket did its job and I walked away. I did hurt my hand but that's what you get when punching a fence :D

When you need them a jacket or a BP are worth every penny.

horselady

Visit site
Recently flew off sidewards and hit and took out two panels of wooden fencing. Jacket did its job and I walked away. I did hurt my hand but that's what you get when punching a fence :D

When you need them a jacket or a BP are worth every penny.

Which one do you have Suki?

horselady

Visit site
I don't like the Hit Air having a big piece missing at the base of the neck. It's a P2 or Helite for me. But yes, they really do protect your back, I've fallen on a road on mine and bounced.

Were you wearing a BP when this happened? Do I need to wear a BP when hacking in one of these as I find them quite cumbersome at the minute even though I do wear one.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I fell off onto concrete from my 17h horse last week and walked away with a sore elbow only. I honestly hate to think what would have happened to me without it.

It 100% protected my torso including my neck. No stiffness or whiplash at all.

Exactly a year ago I fell off onto a surface and broke all my ribs on one side. That was from a 14.2 cob (!). I've worn the air jacket every ride since I purchased it after that accident.

My daughter and I both have hit air jackets which is the original motorcycle technology which I already thought was the best option for us and now I am sure of it. I would not ride any horse ever without my air jacket. I've never in my 34 year riding career fallen off out hacking - until last week!

horselady

Visit site
Do you think the hybrid air jacket and body protector would be better than just wearing a body protector with air jacket over the top?

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
I have a Point 2, though know other people with Hit Airs, it was a very close call between the two when I was buying and only went for Point 2 as I got a good deal. I would absolutely not hesitate to buy one if you can afford it, though I don't wear mine perhaps as much as I should... I had a rotational fall XC in mine and walked away 100% fine except a few bruises on my leg where horses hooves hit me. I know they don't always inflate in rotational falls apparently, but mine did, definitely could have been much worse for me without one...

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I meant to say I don't usually wear a BP with mine (other than for XC), didn't have a BP on when I fell off last week. My daughter always wears both. I know I wouldn't wear it as happily if it was also a BP as I would be too hot. A BP is going to protect you from things an air jacket can't (like impaling yourself on something!) but a BP isn't going to help with crash landing where as the air jacket definitely does.

Polos

Visit site
I wear a helite air jacket and it's been a really good investment.

I've had a few spectacular falls but I have walked away fine

If you can afford it I'd pick an air jacket over a Bp

Helite ones come in a gilet or jacket (even a show jacket too) so they are a lot more discrete (I wear mine under animo show jackets but just do up the popper buttons so the jacket can pop open and allow the air jacket to expand)

They are a lot more comfy to ride in too, I don't feel restricted at all

ycbm

Visit site
Were you wearing a BP when this happened? Do I need to wear a BP when hacking in one of these as I find them quite cumbersome at the minute even though I do wear one.

No, just the air jacket. Because I had it on, I actually made a decision to throw myself off a horse which was caught in a fence before he could throw himself on top of me attempting to get out of the fence.

On my way down, I remember clearly waiting for the bang to save me from the tarmac road. People around (it was a hunt) were astonished when I got up straight up and caught the horse.

horselady

Visit site
No, just the air jacket. Because I had it on, I actually made a decision to throw myself off a horse which was caught in a fence before he could throw himself on top of me attempting to get out of the fence.

On my way down, I remember clearly waiting for the bang to save me from the tarmac road. People around (it was a hunt) were astonished when I got up straight up and caught the horse.
Was that the point two or the helite?

asmp

Visit site
Daughter rides in her Hit Air all the time. I use it when hacking out her horse and don't even notice I have it on.

Just remember to plug it in if you get one - went with friend xc schooling and she came off. Had forgotten to plug it in and fractured her pelvis. (Although that might have happened anyway)

ycbm

Visit site
Was that the point two or the helite?

Point two, but effectively they are the same jacket. The principle difference, the last time I looked, was that the Helite canister screws in and the P2 canister is an easier bayonet fixing.

wingedhorse

Visit site
What would people recommend for hacking. That is lightweight and comfy and effective? With maximum coverage?

Thanks

ycbm

Visit site
What would people recommend for hacking. That is lightweight and comfy and effective? With maximum coverage?

Thanks

A standard P2 or Helite. It's fitted loose so any breeze or big movement circulates air. It's got no gap in the protection at the base of the neck when it blows up. And it covers from the bottom of your hat to the base of your spine.

Watch out also for the smaller sizes of Hit Air. Apparently they have the top of the canister inside the air bag, next to your body. That's not very sensible.

ycbm

Visit site
Point two are no longer going to be servicing their older style jackets so be careful if you buy second hand!

Good point.

They did a buyback on mine and I paid half price for the new one. Worth asking if that still applies of anyone has got one.

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
I rode in a point two and how baggy it was, drove me nuts! Much prefer the slim fit of the hit air, they also look so much smarter when hunting or showjumping. Out hunting someone fell off in a point 2 and an ambulance was called as the jacket itself hurt the lady by crushing her, she couldn't get up for a while, the inflation inwards completely winded her and hurt her ribs without a body protector underneath ( not sure exactly how) but that really put me off them. We did a lot of research and tried them on a few times. We were buying two, so had to be sure! And the hit air won by far.

ycbm

Visit site
I rode in a point two and how baggy it was, drove me nuts! Much prefer the slim fit of the hit air, they also look so much smarter when hunting or showjumping. Out hunting someone fell off in a point 2 and an ambulance was called as the jacket itself hurt the lady by crushing her, she couldn't get up for a while, the inflation inwards completely winded her and hurt her ribs without a body protector underneath ( not sure exactly how) but that really put me off them. We did a lot of research and tried them on a few times. We were buying two, so had to be sure! And the hit air won by far.

If the jacket itself damaged her then it was ludicrously badly fitted. I believe that the buckles would snap before the air expansion could actually cause anyone any physical damage. I'm sorry, but I just don't believe that this woman was actually hurt by the jacket; more likely that she was in shock from the fall. I've seen a riding club member screaming in pain, after pain relief, as she was put into an ambulance and we all feared the worst. She was released from hospital an hour later with mild bruising to the ribs. And she wouldn't have had those of she'd had an air jacket on.

Aspire

Visit site
Have a HitAir and wouldn't be without it. The HitAir explodes, the Point2 implodes hence the need for correct fit to avoid being winded. That sdaid, better to be slightly winded than damage vertebrae etc. An investment in wellbeing, imho especially when you no longer bounce like me.

ycbm

Visit site
Now thats worth knowing

It's still at that bottom of the servicing forum. Send an old jacket back and they send you a new one for £200.

They also swapped all my spare canisters for me.

Mine was in a terrible state after five years hunting in it and I got a brand new one send by return post.

ycbm

Visit site
Have a HitAir and wouldn't be without it. The HitAir explodes, the Point2 implodes hence the need for correct fit to avoid being winded. That sdaid, better to be slightly winded than damage vertebrae etc. An investment in wellbeing, imho especially when you no longer bounce like me.

The point two does not implode, it just inflates. They are easy to fit. You'd have to ignore all the sizing instructions to get one to crush you. Perhaps some people are kidding themselves about how big they really are when they buy one?

cavalo branco

Visit site
I've got a Hit-air, I wear it on its own for pretty much everything, it's been excellent on the few occasions that I've fallen off.��

wingedhorse

Visit site
A standard P2 or Helite. It's fitted loose so any breeze or big movement circulates air. It's got no gap in the protection at the base of the neck when it blows up. And it covers from the bottom of your hat to the base of your spine.

Watch out also for the smaller sizes of Hit Air. Apparently they have the top of the canister inside the air bag, next to your body. That's not very sensible.

Thanks - would a gilet like this provide enough protection and neck protection? http://www.treehouseonline.co.uk/product/248

It looks easy to wear?

I am separately thinking about getting one of these - http://www.treehouseonline.co.uk/product/392 Racesafe Provent 3.0 Adult as I need one to visit local gallops (and don't have one)

But am thinking about using an air jacket for more local faster hacking.

Thinking about investing in both. But want to be something that is safe, comfy and lasts next ten years :)

It looks like I couldn't sensibly combine air jacket and body protector. If wanted to ride both separately, most of the time. As I'd need a very loose air jacket to do this, likely to be bulky.