Air jackets

stimpy

Visit site
Sitting here feeling about a hundred years old having taken a fall of a bolting youngster yesterday I am considering investing in an air jacket. I've done a bit of research this morning but it seems that most shops only stock one brand of air jacket so much as I'd like to be able to go somewhere and try a couple of designs that's unlikely. Does anyone have some (impartial) pros and cons to compare Hitair, Helite and Point 2? I will get it fitted, but I will have to choose a stockist according to the brand.

I'm 5'1, and a bit over 9 stone if size is a factor. I only want it for hacking and schooling, I hardly ever leave the ground intentionally these days.

ponios

Visit site
I tried all on and went with hit air. It is the quietest (in my opinion) when it goes off, expands outwards and is lower profile.

I have replaced gas twice and it is very simple to do.

I don't realise that its on as nice and light weight

Steerpike

Visit site
I'm sure you will get many replies but it's down to the individual, definitely worth trying different brands on, I found the Point 2 suits me best.

GoldenWillow

Visit site
I tried on both a hit air and a point 2. The hit air fitted me better as I have a comparatively long back which was the most important thing but I found it a lot lighter, I like the fact that it expands outwards and also that I can wear a my hi vis jackets under it and they are clearly visible. The shop I tried the point 2 on wouldn't set it off for me to see what it felt like as that was something that bothered me even when I offered to pay for the canister.

Batgirl

Visit site
I did a lot of research and I prefer the hit air becasue of the neck and pelvis coverage - there is an extra flap that comes down to protect that the point 2 doesn't have. As I was getting it for hacking and expecting car impact I felt this was an important benefit.

Fransurrey

Visit site
My friend went with Hit Air for the extra pelvis coverage and the opening outwards. I was with her when she came off wearing it and she literally bounced! Can't compare with other jackets for noise, but neither horse reacted to it.

stimpy

Visit site
My Hit Air suits me. It's so light that I don't know that it's on. It also shows up under my usual hi viz when I'm hacking - I never ride without it now.

Thanks Tiddlypom, that photo is really helpful. I always ride in hi viz and all my winter jackets are hi viz so I was wondering how much it would obscure my jacket if I wore it over the top. I would prefer to buy a black one and wear over exiting hi viz than get a hi viz air vest.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
I went to a big horse event and tried on all 3 brands and also different styles. I am about 9 1/2 stone and 5’ 2”. The Helite gilet fitted me best. Most of the other styles were too long. It hurts sitting on the hem too.
I felt unprotected in the Hit Air as there were so many gaps in the design.
I am unconvinced about the exploding inwards and outwards argument. Surely the air jacket expands in the direction of least resistance? When mine went off it held me securely and safely without even a bruise and yes I bounced a bit too.

stimpy

Visit site
I went to a big horse event and tried on all 3 brands and also different styles. I am about 9 1/2 stone and 5’ 2”. The Helite gilet fitted me best. Most of the other styles were too long. It hurts sitting on the hem too.
I felt unprotected in the Hit Air as there were so many gaps in the design.
I am unconvinced about the exploding inwards and outwards argument. Surely the air jacket expands in the direction of least resistance? When mine went off it held me securely and safely without even a bruise and yes I bounced a bit too.

I suspect we are very similar size so it's v interesting to hear that you found the gilet better. Thanks.

Moogleberry

Visit site
I love my Point 2 but agree it’s best to try both on and see what suits you best, I have to say the aftercare from Point 2 re servicing and customer service is amazing

Britestar

Visit site
I'm a similar size and weight to you. I have the Helite gilet. Very comfy, and cosy in the winter! I wear a hi Viz over it, and it does not interfere with it f it goes off.

stimpy

Visit site
I'm a similar size and weight to you. I have the Helite gilet. Very comfy, and cosy in the winter! I wear a hi Viz over it, and it does not interfere with it f it goes off.

Thanks Britestar! Is yours a small? I tried on a helite a couple of years ago at a trade stand at Badminton and I think it was a small but can't quite remember.

I am drawn to the gilets as I know myself and I think it is more likely that I will wear it :rolleyes:

Meredith

Visit site
Thanks Britestar! Is yours a small? I tried on a helite a couple of years ago at a trade stand at Badminton and I think it was a small but can't quite remember.

I am drawn to the gilets as I know myself and I think it is more likely that I will wear it :rolleyes:

I think the size required also depends on what jacket and / or body protector you wear underneath.

stimpy

Visit site
I don't wear a body protector but I do have a fairly big winter jacket. I will be taking a set of jackets with me if/when I get to try some.

Britestar

Visit site
I think mine is a medium. I wear an assortment of layers under it depending on the weather. I don't wear a bp under it, as no xc, but there would be room if i wanted too.
I can also change a canister in no time at all (too much practice 🙄🙄)

asmp

Visit site
My daughter and I are both your height and we both wear Hit Air (mine's a Hi Viz one). We found a shop that that sold 2 makes and preferred the Hit Air for comfort.

Myloubylou

Visit site
I am 5’2 and 9 stone and was surprised that tackshop suggested I get a medium in the point 2 but you apparently need plenty of space for it to inflate. Still undecided whether to get one, i was bucked off onto the arena fence and my kan prevented broken bones I’m sure but muscles in my back have taken hammering and something tight/weird in my hip. Would air jacket have been any more protective? Bruise on bum & thigh but fence paint on my shoulder & back of coat which don’t hurt

zola89

Visit site
I have a hit air and unfortunately had my horse slip and fell over back on top of me - got straight up and on again.
It's light so you hardly notice you're wearing it - I never used to wear a body protector and don't ride without it now (only wear a traditional body protector as well when xc schooling).
The 'gaps' make it lighter and more flexible (moves with you) and allow air through so comfortable to wear in the summer (not sure a gilet would be?). In no way do the gaps make it less protective - it has extra bits which are folded shut on poppers that inflate when it explodes.
It is much quieter than the point 2 and my sensitive horse has never spooked - its like a loud can of pop opening rather than a bang.
I wear a large/loose hi viz vest over the top and have never had any problems although could easily wear over a winter coat etc as it is adjustable (again not sure if a gilet would be?)
My friend was exploded in both the hit air and point 2 and said she felt crushed by the point 2 (it inflates inward) - you can't really move when the hit air inflates but you don't feel crushed. It also goes down fairly quick!
It's also really simple to change the canister!

stimpy

Visit site
I am 5’2 and 9 stone and was surprised that tackshop suggested I get a medium in the point 2 but you apparently need plenty of space for it to inflate.

I got fitted for a Helite yesterday and I was amazed when the fitter put me in a medium to start with. When I sat on the demo saddle wearing it I was sitting on the tail (v uncomfortable) and I could feel it push the jacket up my back as I felt it lift up behind my head. She quickly decided that I needed a small, which was much better, but I was still aware of the tail behind my bum, not exactly sitting on the seam but aware of it as it was wedged between me and the cantle. Their demo saddle also didn't have as high a cantle as either of my saddles. I didn't buy the Helite as I want to try a Hitair before deciding but the length is bothering me a little. On a positive note I was surprised that although it feels quite heavy when you pick it up once it is on it feels fine.

I also tried a gilet and although they are v smart I don't think it is flexible enough to accommodate summer and winter riding. I also didn't like that it was only showerproof rather than waterproof and I definitely want to be riding in a properly waterproof top layer for hacking in winter.

Meredith

Visit site
I got fitted for a Helite yesterday and I was amazed when the fitter put me in a medium to start with. When I sat on the demo saddle wearing it I was sitting on the tail (v uncomfortable) and I could feel it push the jacket up my back as I felt it lift up behind my head. She quickly decided that I needed a small, which was much better, but I was still aware of the tail behind my bum, not exactly sitting on the seam but aware of it as it was wedged between me and the cantle. Their demo saddle also didn't have as high a cantle as either of my saddles. I didn't buy the Helite as I want to try a Hitair before deciding but the length is bothering me a little. On a positive note I was surprised that although it feels quite heavy when you pick it up once it is on it feels fine.

I also tried a gilet and although they are v smart I don't think it is flexible enough to accommodate summer and winter riding. I also didn't like that it was only showerproof rather than waterproof and I definitely want to be riding in a properly waterproof top layer for hacking in winter.

I have never been wet through my Helite gilet. When I ride in winter I wear a Musto riding coat underneath. It is lightweight and waterproof and I layer thin thermal tops if it gets really cold.

Britestar

Visit site
Me neither with the gilet. I was out this morning in pouring rain with a waterproof jacket underneath. Everything was fine.
I also fired it 🙄🙄. Back from hack i decided a jump in the school, in the pouring rain was called for. Apparently that was all a bit too exciting, resulting in a bronc session, and a big bang. Lol.

I wear mine all year round. In the summer I have either a thin jumper or a polo shirt underneath.

Meredith

Visit site
Me neither with the gilet. I was out this morning in pouring rain with a waterproof jacket underneath. Everything was fine.
I also fired it 🙄🙄. Back from hack i decided a jump in the school, in the pouring rain was called for. Apparently that was all a bit too exciting, resulting in a bronc session, and a big bang. Lol.

I wear mine all year round. In the summer I have either a thin jumper or a polo shirt underneath.

Oh dear, that’s what aj’s are for though isn’t it? Hope you are OK.
I didn’t explode my gilet today but my mare was rather sharp too and as it was icy I decided to be a wimp and and rode carefully and slowly. For some reason, probably that scary white stuff called frost, mare thought everything was super frightening.

Britestar

Visit site
Oh dear, that’s what aj’s are for though isn’t it? Hope you are OK.
I didn’t explode my gilet today but my mare was rather sharp too and as it was icy I decided to be a wimp and and rode carefully and slowly. For some reason, probably that scary white stuff called frost, mare thought everything was super frightening.

The joy of a soft bouncy landing. I may change my mind tomorrow! Lol

Horses are unreasonable. This came from nowhere. Not even time to yell at him which usually brings him back to me. Just a wheeeeee!!!! Jumpies, head between knees, salmon hump