Airowear outlyne v's hows racesafe RS2010?

Brandy

Visit site
I have been 'meaning' to buy a body protector for a couple of years now - I already have one but I bought it probably 14 years ago for my BHS exams, and it has gathered dust in the tack room ever since. It was rather stiff and board like.

So, now I have the idiot welsh and often when I am riding think 'hmm, should really have a body protector on!'

I want something that is comfortable and seem to have narrowed it down to these two. When I last looked into it, the Hows ones seems very expensive, but seem to have come down in price.

Any recommendations?

Spyda

Visit site
After posting about body protectors myself earlier this year I opted for a 2010 Racesafe one after the reponses I received. I managed to get a new one cheaply enough on eBay and it's great IMO. I had been wondering whether I should opt for a Racesafe 2011 version but apparently there's little difference that matters between the 2010 and 2011 - except price that is. :)

MissChaos

Visit site
Have only heard great things about RS but have tried an Outlyne before and really found it a bit heavy (compared to current Rodney Powell one - and the RP sales guy said I have to take a child's as 'ooh, you're built far too much like a boy' anyway so what would I know? :D)

SVMel

Visit site
I have an Outlyne, and love it! That's not to say I wouldn't love a racesafe though, just didn't have them when I got mine :D I think as long as it gives you the protection level you are looking for then it's down to individual comfort levels when you're wearing it. Happy to be corrected if the racesafe gives a different level of protection though :D xx

ThePony

Visit site
I'd def go and try them on as how comfy they are will depend on how the shape suits you.
I have the airowear and I love it, but lots of people rave about the racesafe - so just personal preference really!

vkb

New User
Visit site
I recently got the Airowear one in an effort to placate my mum that I was getting some form of protection (the joys of my mum being a nurse and seeing horse riding injuries), having never worn a body protector I was a bit sceptical as to how comfortable it would be and whether it would affect my riding and end up taking up residence at the bottom of my car boot under the rest of the rubbish - I have to say I really do like my body protector and find it really comfortable - I got mine fitted up (its a good idea to wear similar clothes to those you will be riding in), and find that when i first zip it up I think 'oh that's tight' but after a few minutes and especially after starting to ride you forget your even wearing it. I'm not sure about the other one that you mentioned but this one melts and becomes more flexible the more you heat up. Definately worth looking into

VioletStripe

Visit site
I have both the RS and airowear - and personally I prefer airowear, but it does actually fit me! My RS doesn't as the woman persuaded me to get it with a small amount of 'growing room' and.. guess what? I didn't grow! Knew I wouldn't, but hey ho :rolleyes: Anyway, the airowear I've found to be nice and light weight and surprisingly flexible! I would recommend trying on both in the shop though, just to see which shape suits you best :) Though, the airowear I do believe is more adjustable? My race safe can only be adjusted at the side with lacing, where as the airowear has several alteration points xx

PingPongPony

Visit site
I have tried and ridden in both before i got one for christmas, i prefer the Airowear one and thats the one i got :D I'd suggest going to good tack shop, trying both on but make sure that both are good fit when you're trying as if you try one that is too small then of course it'll feel uncomfortable :)

Brandy

Visit site
Hi and thanks for your responses. My local tack shop stock the airowear, but can't find anywhere local that has the racesafe one, though think it might be worth a trip further afield to try both.

My old one was a velcra at the sides type and was very stiff, didn;t warm up at all. The racesafe one just looks more flexible and comfy.

glenruby

Visit site
Recently bought a racesafe to replace my Airowear. Far far more comfortable. I do 4-6 lots a day in it and forget Im wearing it. And I have always hated wearing bodyprotectors so to have one I dont mind wearing is something else!

The sizes are a little odd though - I have an extra small adult (Im 5ft 8 and about 9stone) with a normal length back. In most cases the standard length bak is actually a little long but the extra small one is obviously meant for shorter people so its a good length. Can thoroughly recommend. I really didnt like my Airowear one!

Lotty

Visit site
Both my daughter and I have the Racesafe, my daughter has the 2000 and I have the 2010 and we both find them comfortable. I haven't tried the other one.

katherine1975

Visit site
I used to have a Rodney Powell body protector and it was too long at the back and I couldn't ride properly in it! Just got a Racesafe one last week and I love it, we went for a long hack and it didn't restrict me at all. They also have a short back version which I needed and the lady in the shop made me wear it for ages and walk around in it to make sure I was happy before we bought it.

MrsHutt

Visit site
I have the Racesafe now. I have had various suits of armour in the past - which I hated, but felt obliged to wear (except for one bought in France - sorry, that's no help ;)

I LOVE the Racesafe; I genuinely forget I am wearing it after a minute or two and I find it suits my generous 'lady bumps' well - quite adjustable enough with the laces up the sides. I would recommend, without hesitation!

By the way, I tried on a friend's to confirm the size (Racesafe's own website has a good fitting guide) and then bought it really reasonably on ebay. I recently noticed some Racesafe 'copies' on ebay for £35 or so - they had the safety standard thingy, but don't know anything else about them. :confused:

photo.php

Last edited:

Vichu

New User
Visit site
Just to bring this thread back to life...does anyone know of any Racesafe RS 2010 stockists in the South West area?
Thanks!