Alabama Rot in your area?

npage123

Visit site
Don't know if this has been posted before but you can search on the following website if there's been reported cases in your area:

http://www.vets4pets.com/stop-alabama-rot/

I was shocked to see that there are 2 cases in my local area! I've always thought it was more of a problem 'up north'.

Will definitely avoid walking through wet, cold mud with the dogs and wash any mud off instead of letting it dry!

Clodagh

Visit site
It started fairly near me. I’m trying to keep it in perspective it’s still very, very rare.

Do you take any special precautions? It hasn't appeared in Essex yet (although according to the above link it has not far over the border in Herts). In winter when I work the dogs in woods a lot I did think should I rinse them off with hibiscrub afterwards. I didn't though.

Tinkerbee

Visit site
Don't know if this has been posted before but you can search on the following website if there's been reported cases in your area:

http://www.vets4pets.com/stop-alabama-rot/

I was shocked to see that there are 2 cases in my local area! I've always thought it was more of a problem 'up north'.

Will definitely avoid walking through wet, cold mud with the dogs and wash any mud off instead of letting it dry!

Two cases in 20 miles of me according to that website, but local press have reported it in Long Eaton as well, which wasnt on that map. Will have to get better at washing off muddy legs..!

madamebonnie

Visit site
22 cases within 20 miles of me. Biggest risk is my dog walker but they are washing off paws daily at the moment as a few very local cases confirmed recently. I keep a close eye on her skin as prone to skin infections anyway, so like Meleeka said just keeping it in perspective really.

satinbaze

Visit site
Confirmed cases in blidworth woods and Attenborough nature reserve in Nottingham. I think vets 4 pets map has not been updated recently. If walking in wooded area I take a jam jar full of water and hibiscrub and was off dogs feet and tummy before getting into the van

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Tbh I would have expected to see it in hounds and dogs that go shooting, they are the ones in and out of woods and in this particularly wet winter its impossible to avoid mud so I wash my dogs off when I get back from walking but then would be doing that anyway regardless of A.R.

RunToEarth

Visit site
Tbh I would have expected to see it in hounds and dogs that go shooting, they are the ones in and out of woods and in this particularly wet winter its impossible to avoid mud so I wash my dogs off when I get back from walking but then would be doing that anyway regardless of A.R.

I thought this - were a plough pack and have had a wet season. The map isn’t up to date as I know there have been recent cases around here, although it isn’t hard to avoid woodland.

rara007

Visit site
No official case but one very very likely case atleast near me (Essex). I’m not taking special precautions (yet).

oldie48

Visit site
Walked Stan and the Viz near Chepstow on Sunday, went for a pub lunch and was told there had been confirmed cases in dogs in the area we had walked. It's also been confirmed quite near to where we live. We have started washing Stan off in a dilute dettol bath when he gets home from a walk and checking him for any lesions when I dry him off. Some of our nicest walks are in wooded areas and everywhere is so wet ATM.

MissTyc

Visit site
A few cases v near to us in Sussex. Dettol, Malaseb, etc - mud gets everywhere and who really knows how this thing is transmitted. We're doing precautionary washing, but trying to stay realistic. I did read somewhere that a research group is looking into links between this "disease" and a bacterial infection that occurs on fish farms. This would be a hopeful link since a vaccine for the fish already exists.