Alarming accident/999 call

Time Tells

Visit site
Dizzydancer, I think you are a bit confused. You can make emergency calls with no credit, or when your own mobile provider doesn't have a signal but another does, for example an Orange phone could borrow the o2 signal, but if there is no signal at all you can't make any sort of call as the phone can't connect to a network. It is like with phone boxes, you could call 999 if you didn't have 10p but if the phone had its wire cut you couldn't.

If you ride in remote areas it is vital to have ways of getting help. A whistle and a torch would be sensible as well ad someone knowing where you are and how long you will be. Back in the days before mobile phones we would leave a note of our route and times so that if we hadn't returned by the specified time the mountain rescue could be alerted.

Here Here...Exactly!

Good point about a whislte, maybe an idea even in this day and age, given the fact rural areas rarely have signal. (Well in mine anyway)
I am so far remote, a fog horn maybe an idea! lol

bex1984

Visit site
I experienced the same when calling 999 for someone who had fallen off in a field next to the yard. I didn't know the postpone but did know the adjacent road name. I posted on here shortly afterwards suggesting everyone learn their yard postcode for this very reason. They also kept asking me if the person had fallen more or less than 8ft...I knew she had been bucked off but didn't see it happen...in the end I opted for more than 8ft in the hope they'd come quicker!

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
How many of you have ICE on your mobiles?

In Case of Emergency - names and phone numbers of people who need to contacted should you have an accident.

Emergency people can then enter ICE into your phone and get in touch with the people who matter most to you.

I do !, I have

ICE - husband
ICE - sister
ICE - yard manger for horse probs

Weezy

Visit site
I skidded on some ice and turned my car over through a hedge. Called 999 and when put through I was asked the road name/number...no name or number so I explained which road it was...*you know the turning for Filkins, well it is the road to Southrop just passed there on your right*...this made no sense to the operator, I thought I was speaking to the local police but turned out I was speaking to someone in Slough! With clear instructions tho they found me pretty quickly, so the main thing is to always be aware of your surroundings :)

Double_choc_lab

Visit site
We have maps that we can click, zoom in on, click a locatio and it puts the co ordinates in. Most crags, hills, quarries etc are also in the system

When monkeybum dislocated her hip in the middle of a field far away from a road the operator used a map. I was able to describe where we were in relation to a golf course and power cables and by sending a "spotter" out they found us no probs.

Meaning we sent a spotter not the emergency services!

Last edited:

snowcrew

Visit site
Update on my friend.

She returned to hospital on Monday, unable to control the pain and stability of her arm and they have NOW advised it needs to be pinned and plated etc.

They admitted her immediately to get her on a better pain killer and she is presently waiting for the operation, her post op recovery will now be shorter and less painful.

Fortunately, no other injuries were sustained and she will make a full recovery.

Do we all know our post codes now!?! I certainly do ..

Thanks for well wishes.