Alas, she will be a spotty!

GemG

Visit site
3 months old today...

image.jpg7_zpsr1c8tatx.jpg

...and we have a visible definite 'snowflake' under the foal fluff bottom!

image.jpg1_zps9gjucphb.jpg

It is small, but it's there! I think she will 'flake' out over the years. Could end up colour wise along the lines of UnaB's mare she just posted updated pics of as now 3 year old. She has all the other characteristics, including one pink teat and one black one oddly enough!

Last edited:

GemG

Visit site
Thank you! I am a sucker for a spotty.

Sire is actually a 14.2hh reg British Spotted Pony, Spotalot Rocky.
He is 21 year old now. Temperament to die for. (I've grown up with him and he has taught me everything and still does!)

752bbf8f-08d8-4e9d-8d39-7c82cddca87a_zpsotorvmkt.jpg

Dam is a beautiful pink papered 16.2hh trakehner, Holme Grove Irroy. Who I'm lucky enough to have on breeding loan. She has added height and quality in buckets.

image.jpg79_zpsacziv0ts.jpg

So the resulting filly, "Irock" will replace the stallion as my riding horse and I'm hoping to have a lot of fun with her. She will maybe grow into her ears one day! The spots are a huge bonus!

I ideally wanted spots, but also performance ability and trainability. The mare has Caprimond on her side who was renowned for producing 'rideable' stock. There are a lot of spotties out there that are badly put together etc, especially the small ones.

Ps. The horses in your banner are stunning and have beautiful markings!

Last edited:

GemG

Visit site
I always think a mare with big ears is a sign of a genuine and honest sort. Prob a complete old wives tale, but it's stuck with me nonetheless! Thank you for the kind comments.

GemG

Visit site
6 months old and newly weaned....

image.jpg6_zpsw7gakaww.jpg

image.jpg9_zpsj8ute2lw.jpg

She has coped brilliantly with weaning and is very settled.

There are dark spots under the fluff that you can't see now the winter coat is in, there is a bit of grey coming in, so she may look a different colour come next summer!! ...and still has to grow into those lugs!*

*=ears

image.jpg1_zpspq4lfnwt.jpg
[/URL]

...Under watchful eye of 'nannie' pony!

Last edited:

Rollin

Visit site
I always think a mare with big ears is a sign of a genuine and honest sort. Prob a complete old wives tale, but it's stuck with me nonetheless! Thank you for the kind comments.

I agree. If it has big ears def a Cleveland Bay!! (can't make smiley faces work)

GemG

Visit site
She has the mottled skin on her muzzle now, around eyes and all her bits and stripey feet and white sclera - definitely going to roan out into spotty something as time goes on...

Clodagh

Visit site
She is gorgeous. How big do you think/hope she will make? I like her a lot.
Big ears also give you something to grab onto in a crisis!

GemG

Visit site
Ah thank you Clodagh, we wanted to add height and blood/quality to the stallion, but without using a TB mare if that makes sense! They say the Trak is the thoroughbred of the WB world. The mare also has full known breeding, so I could check (along with horses trainability etc) heights (no surprise small ones in ancestry) and colours (to avoid greys, as looking to keep spots and not have a fader).

If I were a betting person (which I'm not!) I would put a wager on her finishing at 16hh or 16.1hh...

...but who knows, she has always been a big, tall foal and more 'horsey' in build and face than 'pony' - but you know what horses are like, height is always a guesstimate lol! Her Dad is full up 14.2hh and mum is 16.2hh. I would like her to ideally finish up 15.2hh+

Just have to play the waiting game!

Yes - the ears can double up as handle bars :)

It's been a long journey from having to source a suitable broodmare, through to weaning the end product (with a young human baby alongside also!) , so there has been a lot of hopes, dreams, decisions, worry and effort involved. Yes, it's been worth it, but this is a one off effort for us!

Last edited:

GemG

Visit site
Thank you M - and you managed with two bundles of beautiful galloping joy!! ...You must have been doubly stressed :-/

GemG

Visit site
She looks like a strapping big foal. Be really interesting to see how she develops. I've bred a few half Trakehner foals (as well as pure breds) and always been very pleased with them.

Oh I'm glad you were pleased with your part breds, I've always really liked the Trak type and after having the pure broodmare for nearly a couple of years on loan - she has given me the bug, I'm smitten. I certainly don't have capacity or time for any other horse for now, but in future I would definitely look for and be very tempted by a pure bred one!

GemG

Visit site
image_zpsfrsrz3im.jpeg

image_zpsxokq2bnc.jpeg

image_zpsxokq2bnc.jpeg

image_zpshryni92s.jpeg

I hope the upload works, I'm out of practice! Well she is now 15 months old and spots are definitely here to stay. I suspect she will eventually roan out and leave spots and varnish marks behind (definite little white hairs in the base coat). Note the winter coat starting already (sighs!).

Last edited:

GemG

Visit site
ty, what is varnish,

Varnish marks are most commonly seen on Appaloosa type colourings and is a feature where a horse roans out (gets whiter or white in colour, or a funny roan) and is left with dark knees, hocks, nasal bone areas (normally prominent boney areas). Likened to being dabbed with some 'varnish' I guess. The horse can still have spots, or have no spots at all and can still have varnish marks.

Sorry that is a lay persons explanation!?!? I'm sure some genetic buffs on here can clarify/explain better!

* our stallion has varnish marks (see photo of him on page 1? Of this thread I think)

Circe

Visit site
Beautiful filly. I love spotties and you have obviously put a lot of thought into breeding her.
I agree that there is a lot of breeding for the colour and not so much thought put into temperament or conformation, ( at least here in AAustralia ).
Here she would be classes as a 'sportaloosa '. Do they have that term in the UK?
Kx

GemG

Visit site
Interestingly Circe I have heard the term sportaloosa banded about here. I think if you have a +14.2hh you can do so much more.

Our stallion is a registered British Spotted Pony, (he is 14.2hh) but their 'type' is based upon a hardy, tough, all round pony type. Which is fine. But in reality can range from a minature to a 14.2hh chunk/feather cob and everything in between. They have a 'sport' book, but there is no grading or performance basis for this sub registration. Which in my eyes is completely pointless. It has no value.

I am all for a sport section /group, but there has to be quantifiable, 'qualification' to allow that registration, to give it a value.

...there are a lot of very ugly spotties out there!!! Depends what you like I suppose.

Lammy

Visit site
Love the look of her, she's gorgeous :)
I really like Holme Grove horses though - visited their stud when I was in college and it was a really wonderful day, lots of happy horses and naughty foals. And their stallions are lovely animals.

GemG

Visit site
Was going to post up to date pic of filly, from Flickr. I can copy /paste URL from photo but does that mean my whole album is public (on here?!) I just want to post a photo. Any technology experts?

Last edited:

Leo Walker

Visit site
Just right click the photo, select copy image address and then post it here between [mg][/img] Unless flckr has a ready set up link for images, in which case just copy that. And no it wont give access to the whole album, it will just post the picture on here :)

GemG

Visit site
Just right click the photo, select copy image address and then post it here between [mg][/img] Unless flckr has a ready set up link for images, in which case just copy that. And no it wont give access to the whole album, it will just post the picture on here :)

Ah thank you !!

GemG

Visit site
I go onto photo, click and it gives me options (save or URL) I can copy/paste URL onto here but I think that brings up my entire collection... ! Argh!

HH forum should have easy upload photo function!

Last edited: