Albion Legend

SmartieBean09

Visit site
Looking for advice. I’ve found the perfect second hand Albion Legend Dressage Saddle and it’s in amazing condition. However I just called Albion to give them the serial number for info on the saddle and they’ve advised me that the saddle is over 25 years old! The saddle has obviously been looked after but the shop are asking for nearly £500 for it, so now I’m unsure and am thinking that perhaps I should search online for a newer one? Just wondering what others would do?

C1airey

Visit site
The last one I saw was going for £300 and probably about the same age (and looked it). If it really is in excellent nick, and it fitted both me and my horse, I’d probably buy it.

Does it definitely fit? Will they let you have it on trial?

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
I've got an Albion Legend that's 27 yrs old and still in perfect condition. It's always been my favourite saddle and was valued at £495 by a saddler a few years ago. I wouldn't worry about the age of the saddle, I'm not sure newer means better.

SmartieBean09

Visit site
Thank you everyone. The tack shop has let me take it away to try on my horse which ive done today and ridden in it and all seemed so perfect! Saddle has been inspected by an independent saddler the shop uses and the tree is sound etc. They are asking £465 and I honestly cant fault the condition of the saddle. Had I not known the age, I would have gone back to the shop and paid for it today!

oldie48

Visit site
I sold an Albion saddle to a friend a couple of years ago, it was over 20 years old and in excellent condition. I sold mine for £400 and nearly had my arm snatched off. If it fits you and the horse it's probably worth the money. I've recently had my old GP saddle reflocked, I bought it secondhand at least 10 years ago and it's got years of life left in it. Good quality saddles that have been well cared for always have a value.

eggs

Visit site
I have an Albion Legend dressage saddle that I was considering having the saddler sell on my behalf. They advised that I would get about £300 after their cut which would mean they would sell it for around the £400 mark. It is in excellent condition having not been used for the last 15 years. I decided to hang on to it for the time being though.

SmartieBean09

Visit site
Well Ive decided to buy it! Like you all say, it’s an Albion, it fits us both and if I’m honest, I’m struggling to see how it is over 25years old! It’s immaculate! Its also been checked internally and so if you take off the cost of that then it falls in line with similar saddles on eBay. It’s beautiful and I feel happy. Thank you :)

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i also have an albion legend dressage saddle which i bought 2nd hand 17 years ago and paid £600. i loved it and it fitted my old horse really well. although i have given up i still have it and it is still in good condition, as long as a saddle has been looked after i would prefer to buy used as they are already broken in.... if this one fits both of you and is in good condition why not buy it. you may not find anything else that fits you and your horse as well.... you could try and get a bit off, maybe offer £400 ?

just seen you have decided to go for it, good choice IMO...

Micky

Visit site
I too bought an Albion legend saddle a few years ago, great condition, v comfortable and only had the flocking re done as old flocking was very hard n lumpy, abit extra on too of the £300 I paid but well worth investing in if it fits your horse and you!