Albion - Poor customer service

Hanno Verian

Visit site
Why is it that companies in the equine world think that its acceptable to treat you as if they are doing you a favour by allowing you to buy their product.

I bought a brand new Albion K2 Jump Saddle from a large saddler/countrystore in Wiltshire in April 2016 for £1500, I rode out in it in the pouring rain about three weeks later and then took it into the saddler to have a minor adjustment made, which meant me leaving it with them for a couple of days.

I had a phone call from my saddle-fitter asking me if I had seen that the leather dye had come out of parts of the saddle, she recommended that she take it up with Albion on my behalf, which I agreed to.

So I was without a saddle for ten days whilst they waited for the Albion rep to inspect it, the upshot was that Albion admitted that there was a fault in the leather processing and agreed to replace the saddle and return the old one to me as an "interim" saddle for 12 weeks until they built one to the same spec. I was told how lucky I was that Albion agreed to do this by the store, who seem to have completely missed the point that my contract is with them, not their supplier Albion, and it would be them that I pursued.

July came and went, I chased it up with my saddler, who chased up Albion who admitted that they had "forgotten" about it and as soon as the factory came back from their summer holiday would get onto it. Then they tried to renege on the "new saddle" and wanted the old one back so that they could replace the damaged panels, which I refused. They finally agreed to replace the saddle and told me it would be another 12 weeks.

That takes us up to December, guess what - No saddle and they are all on Christmas holiday!!

Why on earth would a company think that this is acceptable, if I had returned the saddle to have it repaired, I would have been riding out in my dressage saddle for 6 months. My reaction would have been to tell them to shove it, but here's the problem my boy is a full ID with big shoulders and Albion was the only saddle that fitted him, as he is far from the TB shape that 90% of saddles are geared to.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with Albion??

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
I had to send a gp saddle back to Albion about 25 yrs ago because of dye problems. First time I rode out in a light rain shower it developed pale splots all over the seat. Their customer service agreed to replace the seat and was most affronted when I asked if it would be two tone again ( the saddle was definitely in two tones of brown and I rather liked it that way) ....she said they take great pains to match the leather colour on all their saddles...failed there then!
They replaced the seat but never returned my saddle cover that I'd put on it for protection in the packing...despite promising to.

Hanno Verian

Visit site
Its really annoying as I want to order a custom made Bridle, Martingale and 5 point harness, but I'm not prepared to order them until I know they will match my saddle and there is still the chance that if they don't sort it out I will return the saddle and be looking for a full refund.

Plus I'm not looking forward to having to having to break in a new saddle again....I just wish they would take ownership of the problem and do what they say, plus an apology for ruining the nummnah and breeches I rode in that day and the inconvenience wouldn't go amiss, or am I asking for too much!

Identityincrisis

Visit site
I would be furious! I have had issues with a saddle I bought (not Albion) and while they were incredibly helpful and apologetic, after faulty leather on 3 saddles I gave up returning them!! I was without a saddle each time.

When you receive an apology it goes a long way to easing the pain but in your situation, they would be suffering my wrath

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
I have one and it's had to have everything but the seat replaced once before as the dye was coming out, it took ages but the tack shop lent me a saddle in the interim. This was about 4/5 years ago now so seems a command problem.

It's still not great to be honest dispite me taking very good care of it. Am not sure I'd buy another!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I would see if you qualify for free legal advice from somewhere, BHS or Household Insurance policy.

As I understand it you have to set a time limit for them to respond. Such as for 14 days, or by the 30 January. Then you tell them what resolution you need. Then you tell them that if they do not respond then you will go to small claims court.

I would say that this is to the retailer, not Albion.

If you paid even partially by credit card then a copy needs to go to them too, as they are jointly liable.

I recently took legal advice for a slightly different matter, but similar in a lot of ways, and the letter, delivered by recorded (signed for) delivery, brought success within return of post for me for £ returned.

So, my advice is to seek professional advice!

OWLIE185

Visit site
This is disgraceful service.
Simply take the retailer to the small claims court to recover your money and expenses.
You can do this on line.
End of

Frumpoon

Visit site
I've certainly been told by a master saddler not a million miles from me that their customer service is terrible

I love the saddles but would only ever buy a second hand one