Albion saddle dressage fitting

magic123029

Visit site
need some advice please, im looking for an albion dressage saddle, i know different models are based on different trees, i need a saddle to take a wither into account but flat backed also (for a KWPN) i like the SLK but not too sure if the tree is too curved for her? (looking at second hand)
12227162_10153787431022490_3558221438868283350_n.jpg

magic123029

Visit site
ive got a fitter but didnt do a template of her, ive got more pics of her (from behind etc) shes currently in a thorowgood (just until she fills/muscles out) and my saddler doesnt supply only fits

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
i am currently going through the 'trying to find a saddle' dilemma too.
I purchased an albion slk but it was too curved in the tree for my gelding, but it's very difficult to tell until you actually get it on their back.
I'm currently trialling an Ideal suzannah which hasnt got such a curved tree.
If you can get a tamplate done you can send it in to places like saddlesdirect and patrickwilkinsons and they will advise which saddles they think may be suitable

magic123029

Visit site
thankyou its a nightmare! ive read the SLK is more curved than others ive been recommended to try the albion SL or ideal suzannah, can try and get a template of her, how you getting on with the ideal? just dont trust saddle fitters due to 2 bad experiences of saddles being fitted but clearly dont fit! and both master saddlers and new/used albion sellers x

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Here's a radical idea: why don't you get/borrow the saddle in question, plonk it on horses back, look at it, girth it up, look at it, lunge horse a bit, look at it, sit on it, look at it/feel it, and make up your own mind? That's what I've done all my life - and never had a sore or unhappy horse yet.

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
thankyou its a nightmare! ive read the SLK is more curved than others ive been recommended to try the albion SL or ideal suzannah, can try and get a template of her, how you getting on with the ideal? just dont trust saddle fitters due to 2 bad experiences of saddles being fitted but clearly dont fit! and both master saddlers and new/used albion sellers x

The ideal suzannah sits better on him definitely (ie the panels actually touch his back!) and is very comfy to ride in. I have my saddle fitter coming out on Tuesday to give me a yay or nay.

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
the ideal has come from patrickwilkinson.co.uk, you have to buy them upfront but you have a 7 day return policy so if it doesnt fit and you return within 7 days you get a full refund. Th one i have is still on their website listed as 'on trial with customer' until my 7 days have passed.
I have looked at saddlesdirect.co.uk too but they didnt have the saddle model in stock i wanted to trial.

NZJenny

Visit site
I have an Albion SLK. I originally bought it for the Arabian in my avatar - he is flat backed. It's now being used on a Cldie/TB cross, also flat backed. Both horses are wide for their size (about 15.3 hh) and the W gullet fits them both. The only thing I would say is neither have a huge wither.

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
thanks national saddle centre replied with the SLK as the better fit but believe it has a curved tree and my mare being flat backed...?

tbh it is very hard to advise as each horse is different and each saddle, although the same make/model etc can be flocked differently, or have slightly varied panels, so the only way to know is to put it on your horses back.
No easy way around it unfortunately.

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
shame just so i roughly know what im looking for or e.g. SLK is defo out as it has a curved tree type thing

i know what you mean but it really is very hard. I had a fitting where an slk fit my gelding really well, but it was brand new and i couldnt afford it, so i bought a second hand one off the internet, same make, same model, same width etc and it didnt fit him at all. So you never really know until you get it on the horse. Both saddles were same model but sat completely differently on my horses back.

Therefore i dont want to say no to the slk as you may find one that suits yours perfectly.

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
yeah juts if i find one and it fits and i dont buy that its a hard situation and possibly expensive!

thats the situation i am in at the moment. I purchased one which didnt fit but managed to resell it for a profit within 24 hours. I have one on trial now. If it doesnt fit i get a refund but will be down about £25 for the postage but it's a small price to pay to find the right saddle.

Quite a few online saddle sellers do trial facilities now so worth having a good look around. Or look on preloved and if you find something local ask the seller if you can trial it.

magic123029

Visit site
yeah thats not too bad emaild national saddle centre explaining shes flat back with a wither and said the slk would be perfect?? (yet ive heard its got a curved tree?)

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
yeah thats not too bad emaild national saddle centre explaining shes flat back with a wither and said the slk would be perfect?? (yet ive heard its got a curved tree?)

if i were you I would phone albion directly, they are very helpful and will be able to tell you about the tree shapes in their different models. Their contact number is on their website. :)

Micropony

Visit site
Your horse looks a very very similar shape to mine, who is in a Platinum SLK, so if it's the same tree I suspect it could well work. Tried an Ideal of some sort when I was buying but the horse preferred the Albion.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
when I was looking for a dressage saddle I had a similar problem and went to a local saddlery and they let me take 5 secondhand saddles to try which absoluteley amazed me... ..I had to show them proper id...I had a driving license with pic.. and I was allowed to keep them for 2 weeks....I got a saddle fitter to come and assess them and ended up buying an albion legend wide fit, it was fab for me and saddle fitter adjusted the flocking to make it perfect for my horse....this was quite a while ago but the saddler was alfred French and sons, huntingdon road, Cambridge, so if they are anywhere near you they may be worth a visit...