Albion saddle for a Connemara?or other suggestions?

sparky1981

Visit site
im about to get the saddler out for new Connemara. 15.2hh has some filling out to do but has a broad shoulder but fairly low whither but not flat whither. Finer type connie.My friends Connemara had a Albion k2 jump saddle as found was the best fit and didn't interfere with his shoulder so I'm thinking to look at those. Has anyone using one on either their connies or broad shouldered horses?are they a good fit?
Alternatively any other suggestions. I mainly hack, hunt and jump but probably could use a GPs, event or jump saddle happily.

sparky1981

Visit site
That's great thanks guys. Which Black Country do you have?is it in medium wide?with the albions do you think the jump k2 would fit aswel as the gp?or would they be too forward cut for the shoulder?

sparky1981

Visit site
I've heard a falcon hawk event can be good for connies. Do you find them nice to ride in?are they quite roomy on the shoulder?with the Albion kontrol saddle do you find it a similar fit to the k2?

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
In my experience the best way to fit a Connie is with a very flat tree, not too wide in the pommel, twist or seat, plus short tree points which Albion certainly doesn't have and then the cut of the flap doesn't matter if you get all that right. You could fit a jumping saddle if the basic fit is right to most large shouldered horses.

edenwood

www.claresconnemaras.com
All my Connies are either wide or extra wide. They change an awful lot up until they are around 7 years old. Some mature quicker than others. I would recommend using someone that is used to dealing with natives to fit your saddle.

Caramac71

Visit site
Thanks for your help. Has anyone had any success with a thorowgood cob saddle or Kent and masters cob?

We've got an ID x Connemara mare. She was initially fitted with the T4 cob saddle but she hated it. She's now in a standard T8 - but saddlers still think she's better suited to the cob version as she has a wide spine and flat back (she thinks otherwise). Perhaps it is just too low on the wither for ours?

I'm no expert and I'm not convinced our horse in the right saddle for her (it's just the best we've found so far), but from what I've been told by various saddle fitters, the Thorowgood / K&M is a flatter tree than the Wintec / Bates so should be more suitable.

sparky1981

Visit site
That's interesting to know thankyou. I think I'm leaning towards a falcon hawk event so will speak to the saddler to see if she has any in stock to try. If anyone has one I love to hear about it. I'm thinking a wide fit even if I have to pad with prolite pad and shims till he fills out.

twiggy2

Visit site
we have an ideal close contact event on a very opinionated mare, she is flat backed, wide through the shoulder and very short coupled and it was the best fit from many saddles.

we also have a connie in an ideal dressage saddle and in a prestige (like sitting on a plank of wood) jump saddle-I love ideal and Kent and masters but do not like bates, albion and prestige and that is after plenty of time sat in a variety of each and also plenty of time cleaning them

sparky1981

Visit site
I've heard that ideals are quite good. Will ask the saddler to bring a few different types. I'm not sure that the Albion will be quite right

atlantis

equinetouchjo.wordpress.com
Thanks for your help. Has anyone had any success with a thorowgood cob saddle or Kent and masters cob?

Yes. I have my connie in a Thorowgood T8 cob. It's changed shape with her well and I'm happy with it. It's a dressage saddle and I'd love a jump version but apparently they don't do them in the cob tree, which is a shame. The T8 is synthetic with a leather seat and knee roll and I love it!!

w1bbler

Visit site
None of the thorowgood / Kent & master worked on my connie, constantly moved & saddler blamed it on her shape & said use a sticky numnah
Now have an andrea hicks native saddle & its perfect. Even been adjusted a couple of times as she has grown up & got some topline, still fits brilliantly

hihosilver

Visit site
I love my falcon hawk event saddle for my Connie x ID. The beauty of it is the changeable gullet! which I have had changed for my horses growth spurt! x

Smitty

Visit site
I love my falcon hawk event saddle for my Connie x ID. The beauty of it is the changeable gullet! which I have had changed for my horses growth spurt! x

Do you by any chance mean a Jeffries Raptor saddle which do have the changeable gullet? I am thinking of one of these for my newly arrived irish import Connie who i can see is going to change a fair bit. If so, are you able to change the gullet plates yourself or is it a job for the saddler?

starryeyed

Visit site
obviously it depends on the individual, but my late Connie had an Albion K2 and it fitted him really beautifully, he went very well in it - and it was so comfy!

Deltaflyer

Visit site
Sam is a connie with a touch of ID and I have a K&M jumping saddle and a Thorogood dressage saddle as they both have the same tree. He has what I'd call a normal wither, not flat like my little arab/welsh had but not high either. My saddler fitted several different makes of saddle on him, some way more expensive than the K&M but we settled on that because it fitted him nicely, hence why we went for the Thorogood Dressage saddle. I don't have the cob versions though.

meesha

Visit site
I have a comfort jump saddle, no longer available I think! But was designed by Andrea hicks, it fitted my 16h no wither flat backed appy and is now on my new horse which has a little mkre wither, has saved me hitting the deck many times as has lovely knee and thigh blocks. Soo comfortable even when hunting and has never moved on either horse.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Yes, Andrea designed all the original Native Pony and Comfort saddles, and similar saddles are available from her now at AH Saddles, I am a fitter for her and can answer questions about any of the designs, old or new. They're rare second hand but happy to advise on what might work if anyone is searching ebay etc.