Alexanders v Equitrek v Oakley etc Small Horseboxes?

yeddow2002

New User
Visit site
Hi,

I'm looking to get a 2 horse / pony 3.5 T horse box and am looking at Alexanders, EquiTrek, and Oakley. Would like to hear people's feedback if they own them. Pros? Cons? Other recommendations?

Thanks

Elliebabe

Visit site
I've posted similar this morning although I'm looking for recommendations for a 4.5T horsebox.

I like the look of Bloomfields leisure and Equi-hunter horseboxes. Boss also look really good as do Kevin Parker's.

Good luck with the search, there's so much choice out there but it's hard to sort the wheat from the chaff :)

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
You're not likely to get the payload to carry two horses in a 3.5 tonner. As for which brand, Oakley if you're loaded, Theault are really good and slightly less pricey but I wouldn't touch either of the other two with a bargepole.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Equi-hunter are another I'd leave well alone - bloke was aggressively rude when I tried to find out what reinforcing had been done and also exactly what was in the lorry in the way of partitions, floor coverings etc when they went to weigh it. I'd heard on the grapevine that everything that could be taken out was taken out :( Being told to buy the lorry and then weigh it didn't seem like a reasonable answer!

minimex2

Visit site
I have just spent close to a month on researching the small boxes. Bottom line is you get what you pay for and there is a lot of "i can build a horsebox" people out there.
No comments on Oakley (out of my price range) but Bloomfields are fab - but have an 16-18 month waiting list! - Have heard people have had a few issues with Equitreck. Alexanders are more of car sales type people with loads of extras (human ) instead of horse. Not sure whereabouts you are but Equi Hunter also come out on top in the region of £23/24k. Ive gone to a local builder who is doing my 3.5 but being upgraded to 3.9 to give me a payload of 1.5 so i know i can carry 2 ponies, 2 daughters and all associated cr&p legally!. My guy generally builds the big 'posh' lorries but is demoing 2 small ones. will be kitted out with 'proper' materials and latest safety enhancements (but living/people area is v basic) If i wasnt using him id definately go for Equi hunter or if i could wait Bloomfields. Both should be able to upgrade you to a bigger payload.

Visit site
We have an Equi-trek at work and the horse bits contantly break. They are HUGELY unstable but most wee vans are. The ramp hydrolics have been changed 3x in the 6months we have had this one.

Personally I wouldn't ever get one of these van conversions because of the instability.

Jules19

Visit site
I have a Kevin Parker Aeos, and totally love it, build quality is excellent, and they are great at letting you know exactly where they are in the build, with pics etc. Properly know their stuff and do not cut corners. Agree that you won't fit 2 horses/ponies legally in a 3.5T though. Mine has some living and a 1.1T payload, I am only ever going to carry one though.

ironhorse

Visit site
Love our Bloomfield to bits - ours took about 6mths from deciding we wanted it to final delivery but that was before they got so popular I guess!
Built completely to your spec in the final detailing - we had two small lockers, solid wall in front of horse, basic but spacious tack area to accommodate two western saddles, extractor fans and extra windows in horse area. They are extremely solid and well built.
Our big, thug like youngster travels brilliantly in it and was cool, calm and collected even when we were stuck on the M25 for an hour in 30 deg heat last summer.
Interestingly when we had a breakdown (mechanical issue!) the recovery people used a Theault and despite the driver being extremely careful he didn't travel at all well and was reluctant to load the next time..

Follysmum

Visit site
I have a Sonic Equitrek and love it. Have had to change the strutts once in five yrs thats all. I like the fact it has the gates which others didn't have when I bought mine. It drives like a car is fab on petrol and I sleep over in it.

I have not looked at any other makes and models since I bought mine but I will have a good look when I upgrade.

Loopylouz

New User
Visit site
My dad ordered my Bloomfields today I'm so excited. Dads an engineer and was just so impressed with everything! Which is a miracle for him.

Not impressed with alexanders, Equihunter Kevin Parker or regent compared to Bloomfields.

Only problem is the waiting time as I have to wait till February.

Can't comment on Oakley as not visited them but can say NO to alexanders! Didn't visit equi trek as a friend has one and it's always having things go wrong and her horse put its head through the roof!!!!

Polonaise

Visit site
Don't rule out some of the smaller companies, we found they offered better value for money and build quality was often better then the big companies. Mine was made by Maneline Coachworks, but it was one of the first they made and the design/price have changed big time. Also been round East Riding Horseboxes and quite impressed. Less impressed by Marlborough and Equitrek. Go for the long wheel base and bigger engine, it shouldn't make too much difference to cost on an older van and why would you need a new one, mine's done 120000mi and reliable as clockwork! Be aware of the horse jumping over the breast-bar issue, had nearly happen with one and it's scary, their's various solutions available just check it's practical.
Please ask for your box to be weighed...and ask if it was with fuel fixtures and fittings. A lot of these companies are not quite telling the truth about weight. 1.2t payload is not enough for 2 horses, fuel, water, feed and people.
As far as stability they vary hugely, apparently it's something to do with the springs.

blood_magik

Visit site
I had a look at an Aeos 3.9T on Monday when I was at Kevin's to see our new 12T Helios. It was a lovely little box - Have to say, the finish looked much nicer than the Alexanders demo box we have at the yard.

Originally looked at an Equitrek but the build quality just isn't there.
Oakley are just stunning but a lot of £.

Old Bat

Visit site
We have an Equitrek Supersonic and haven't had the problems most have over the years apart from changing the gas struts on the ramp once, we love it. Angelbones on here has a boss which I think she is very pleased with as well.

Equihunter

New User
Visit site
Equi-hunter are another I'd leave well alone - bloke was aggressively rude when I tried to find out what reinforcing had been done and also exactly what was in the lorry in the way of partitions, floor coverings etc when they went to weigh it. I'd heard on the grapevine that everything that could be taken out was taken out :( Being told to buy the lorry and then weigh it didn't seem like a reasonable answer!

Not sure who you spoke to jemima*askin, when you got this appalling response but it certainly wasn't me.... Are you sure you have the right "equi" as there are so many similar builders company names ...!!

Tern

Visit site
Ifor Williams Container.

Pros: partitions spaces big, removable partition, has storage space.

Cons: Windows are tiny and don't let much air in, only carries up to 16hh. :/

foraday

Visit site
Oakleys all the way!

Equi trek are still poor materials and my friends one for the price was sold after 1 year losing a lot of money but frustratingly Equitrek after service or lack of continues!

Alexanders as someone said more luxury cars and lets put a jacuzzi on the horse box rather than looking at the horse section and being practical!!! Also getting hold of them is hopeless! My friend contacted them twice over a lorry they had and got zero response! So again why would you buy from them!

You have also got to look at the resale value and Oakley's tops the bill at keeping a high value