Alfa A Oil - does your horse eat this product?

EllieandGeorge

Visit site
I fed my old pony on it, and he went off it after a while. Had him on mollichaf and he gobbled that up, but got bored of it after a while as well.

Queenbee

Visit site
Struggling with feeding my very fussy horse. He's currently on Dengie Alfa A Oil and Allen & Page fast fibre. He's been a bit fussy lately eating up but has decided (after I've bought a new bag of this product) to not eat it.

I've tried him on Mollichaff which I just happened to have a sample of in my car from Your Horse Live and he's wolfed it down.

Does your horse object to the Alfa A Oil or is it just my horse? I think its the consistency and the oiliness of it that he doesn't like. Do you think my local feed merchant would swap the Alfa A Oil for a bag of mollichaff? Its obviously unopened.

My 2 1/2 year old and m 17yr old are both on Alfa A Oil, they have a scoop of this with a scoop of good old fashioned molassed sugar beet. Just a quick question, why are you feeding 2 types of fibre, surely the use of Alfalfa would negate the need for Fast Fibre, you could then add something like beet for palatability.

Melanie_91

Visit site
I work on a yard and we switched one of our pointers and a show jumper from Hi Fi to Alpha A and they both now constantly leave food in the bottom of the bowl. Whether it's because they're so highly strung or because of the feed itself I'm not sure - but they didn't do it before (unless theyd just come back from a race/event/something exciting). However a friend of mine has had her youngster on it for ages and he loves it!! All down to the horse I suppose... You can occasionally ask for a sample if you contact the brand direct can't you?

Jasmine*

Visit site
My fussy warmblood used to only eat out of people hand and refused a feed bucked when i first got her. changed her from HI-FI to Alpha A Oil and she loves it. we never have problems at feeding time any more. However she wont eat it dry, it has to be soaked for 10 mins before she'll eat it :)

applecart14

Visit site
My 2 1/2 year old and m 17yr old are both on Alfa A Oil, they have a scoop of this with a scoop of good old fashioned molassed sugar beet. Just a quick question, why are you feeding 2 types of fibre, surely the use of Alfalfa would negate the need for Fast Fibre, you could then add something like beet for palatability.

The fast fibre and the alfalfa were the best combination of feed products for the possibility of gastric ulcers which the vet thought he might have.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
Forgive my ignorance but doesn't Mollichaff contain Mollasses? Alfafa is reknowned for it's bitter taste - so it's little wonder OP that your horse prefers the Mollichaff.

I don't feed mollasses (one sugar intolerant and ulcer prone and one lami and the other has just gone barefoot), but I know they all like it given the opportunity and the treat ball of Alfalfa pellets is not as popular as grass nuts :D

Mince Pie

Visit site
My mare used to eat it before she got turned out for several weeks on ad lib hay only, now she picks at it so I do 1/2 AAO with 1/2 dengie good doer (for the fatty cob) until the bag is finished.

Puzzles

Visit site
The TBx that I care for loves it. She's a poor doer and a fussy and slow feeder, but she always finishes her 2kg of Alfa-A Oil. I always mix it with a lot of water as I find it very dry and not as oily as I expected. I think this makes it easier and more pleasant to eat.

flyingfeet

Visit site
At a push I can get my mare to eat it, but have to add something molassesd to placate her

At the moment to get her to eat this and sarc-ex I have to add mint, garlic molassed chaff and a molassed feed.

She won't touch plain Pure feeds condition, so guessing alfalfa isn't her thing and she has a sweet tooth

onemoretime

Visit site
My mega fussy horse would begrudgingly eat it but it sent him bonkers! He adores the spillers conditioning chaff & the mollichaff conditioning chaff.

Another vote for Spillers Conditioning chaff. My mare loves this and is looking really well on it. Its also cheaper than alfa A oil. Also Baileys do a chaff with oil and clover in it - may be worth a look.

minniemouse

Visit site
my boy eats the mollichaff alfa a oil but won't eat the dengie one? the mollicaff one seems softer and not as stalky as the dengie but i do mix it with speedibeet so it is nice and moist and he wolfs it down. he is putting on condition nicely with it and has a good shine to his coat, it hasn't made him silly either and he has gut problems but seems a lot better now on the alfa a x

applecart14

Visit site
Forgive my ignorance but doesn't Mollichaff contain Mollasses? Alfafa is reknowned for it's bitter taste - so it's little wonder OP that your horse prefers the Mollichaff.

I don't feed mollasses (one sugar intolerant and ulcer prone and one lami and the other has just gone barefoot), but I know they all like it given the opportunity and the treat ball of Alfalfa pellets is not as popular as grass nuts :D

Heh, heh. Yes you are right Mollichaff does contain molasses. :) Sorry I didn't explain myself very well. When I went to Your Horse Live I spoke to various stands. Mollichaff do an Alfa A with oil. They gave me a sample which came in a little sealed plastic cream coloured bag. I didn't realise at the time this chaff contained oil. I fed it to my horse mixed in a little bit at a time with his usual feed and he wolfed it down.

Next week went to my local feed merchant and the only cream coloured bag they had was the one I bought which unfortunately was a straw like consistency and not at all like Alfa A. As i didn't know the sample contained oil I didn't realise that I was buying the wrong one. The bag they put it in at Your Horse Live was not the same coloured bag that they sold it in at the feed merchants! Just to confuse people!! :rolleyes:

Anyway said horse is now on Readi Grass and to borrow Mc Donalds logo - he is luvin' it.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
Heh, heh. Yes you are right Mollichaff does contain molasses. :) Sorry I didn't explain myself very well. When I went to Your Horse Live I spoke to various stands. Mollichaff do an Alfa A with oil. They gave me a sample which came in a little sealed plastic cream coloured bag. I didn't realise at the time this chaff contained oil. I fed it to my horse mixed in a little bit at a time with his usual feed and he wolfed it down.

Next week went to my local feed merchant and the only cream coloured bag they had was the one I bought which unfortunately was a straw like consistency and not at all like Alfa A. As i didn't know the sample contained oil I didn't realise that I was buying the wrong one. The bag they put it in at Your Horse Live was not the same coloured bag that they sold it in at the feed merchants! Just to confuse people!! :rolleyes:

Anyway said horse is now on Readi Grass and to borrow Mc Donalds logo - he is luvin' it.

Ah ha that explains it. Oh yes Readigrass is lovely stuff, I feed that to the horses, guinea pigs, rabbit.........:)

claribella

Visit site
I had my girl on the molasses free version but she wasn't overly fussed about it. I ended up going onto the fast fibre because I could stomuch handing over 15 quid for a bag of stuff she didn't really like. She was also on a twenty six quid bag of balancer so I'm making quite a saving.

Just wondered if you've tried adding hot water to the fast fibre it. My girl is so fussy and so highly strung that I could never get her to eat breakfast in the whole two years I have had her unless I turned her out and after an hour, went to feed her in the feed. Obvioulsy I didn't really have time to do that every day. Since swapping to the fast fibre and adding the hot water to it in the mornings, she's eaten it every time and quicker than I've ever seen her eat anything!

Also you could try adding Linseed to it. I have had my girl on the linseed for about two weeks and already I'm seeing a difference in her shine and condition. She's a poor doer.

applecart14

Visit site
I had my girl on the molasses free version but she wasn't overly fussed about it. I ended up going onto the fast fibre because I could stomuch handing over 15 quid for a bag of stuff she didn't really like. She was also on a twenty six quid bag of balancer so I'm making quite a saving.

Just wondered if you've tried adding hot water to the fast fibre it. My girl is so fussy and so highly strung that I could never get her to eat breakfast in the whole two years I have had her unless I turned her out and after an hour, went to feed her in the feed. Obvioulsy I didn't really have time to do that every day. Since swapping to the fast fibre and adding the hot water to it in the mornings, she's eaten it every time and quicker than I've ever seen her eat anything!

Also you could try adding Linseed to it. I have had my girl on the linseed for about two weeks and already I'm seeing a difference in her shine and condition. She's a poor doer.

Yes I was told on the stand at Your Horse Live that adding hot water makes it more palatable. It did to start but then he just went off it. I think it was the consistency - bit like why I am not keen on porridge - yuk!:D

I tried adding a mug of half a pkt of strong mints and boiling water to the fast fibre but again he wasn't too keen. Then I tried feeding it with barely any water in and he preferred it that way but then stopped eating it again. In the end I gave up, must remember to give it away to my friend what's left as she feeds her youngster it.