Alfalfa Question

HazuraJane

Visit site
How quickly does the 'heat' of a hay/feed manifest itself when fed to a horse? Does it build over time or is it a quickly-observable behaviour?

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Depends on the horse, also may depend if fed previously and how long reaction took then. I had one who reacted within hours, especially if put under any pressure in that time. Current one is similar but I think her reaction was increased by the numpty who was chucking cattle creep feed into the field for her!

Shay

Visit site
I had an ISH who would react in a hour or two. I wasn't entirely convinced about feed sensitivity before him - I am now! Slower reactions tend to be more about too many calories for work rather than a sensitivity. But sensitivity to Alfa specifically can develop on a threshold basis - you can feed it for years without an issue and suddenly it becomes one. But once it is an issue the observable reaction is usually quite quick.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I had an ISH who would react in a hour or two. I wasn't entirely convinced about feed sensitivity before him - I am now! Slower reactions tend to be more about too many calories for work rather than a sensitivity. But sensitivity to Alfa specifically can develop on a threshold basis - you can feed it for years without an issue and suddenly it becomes one. But once it is an issue the observable reaction is usually quite quick.

Actually, it is well-known that in people a severe allergic reaction comes on quickly but an intolerance can build up over time and the effects can take several hours, or longer, to be manifested, which is why it can be so difficult to work out what is causing the problem. IME, it can be the same with horses.

ihatework

Visit site
If you are going to get a reaction with Alfa it’s generally one of 2 things you see -

Skin changes / lumps - these can appear reasonably quickly or build up over a few weeks

Irrational behaviour - spooky / over reactive - this generally comes on (and goes when Alfa stopped) reasonably quickly I.e days

HazuraJane

Visit site
If you are going to get a reaction with Alfa it’s generally one of 2 things you see -

Skin changes / lumps - these can appear reasonably quickly or build up over a few weeks

Irrational behaviour - spooky / over reactive - this generally comes on (and goes when Alfa stopped) reasonably quickly I.e days
Hmm. My mare has both these reactions. It didn't occur to me the alfalfa was causing her heinous skin bumps, I thought it was flies.
She gets that wide-eyed crazy girl look as well but seems to keep herself under control.
You've given me something to work with here, thank you for the reply.