Alfalfa, Ulcers & Behavioural Issues

Eventer2017

Visit site
My horse was treated for ulcers, and is scoped clear. He is on Alfa A Oil as I have been advised that feeding alfalfa is a good option for maintenance post treatment.

Has anyone experienced behavioural issues feeding alfalfa? My gelding has been extra ‘irritable’.

Does anyone feed non alfalfa feeds for their horses previously diagnosed with ulcers?

Thank you :)

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I have had two mares who could not cope at all with alfalfa, neither were officially diagnosed with ulcers, but the younger one was most definitely symptomatic. We ensure that she has plenty off forage and gave her aloe vera juice for about twelve months.

Nari

Visit site
Alfalfa chaff really didn't suit my horse that had ulcers, he'd look uncomfortable after eating it & quickly chose to leave it. Well soaked alfalfa nuts were ok though. I did stop feeding alfalfa because my other one doesn't tolerate it & if I was away I worried about the wrong feed being given and I can't say I noticed any difference for not giving it. I tried to stick with low sugar & starch feeds, but he was a fussy eater & so there were times when if he'd eat it I'd feed it.

Myloubylou

Visit site
I feed molichaff calmer to my EMS mare who doesn’t tolerate alfalfa. Is good lower starch & sugar chaff which is straw & grass mix.

paddy555

Visit site
if you want to feed alfalfa try changing to the pellets and soaking them. Those seem to cause less problems. I use them and mix them with soaked copra.