all 4 feet warm -should i be worried

whiteflower

Visit site
Ive always thought if all 4 feet are the same temperature then no need to worry, however with this sunshine and showers we have been having the grass is very lush.

My boy is out at night and in during the day and have noticed all his feet are noticably warm both when i catch him and when i turn him out.

hes not massively over weight.

hes a tb x who's barefoot but has generally good strong feet

hes not lame, a little footy over stones but often is as some of our forest tracks are quite flinty.

am i being an over anxious mother worrying about the dreaded 'lami' ??

indie999

Visit site
They can become warmer in hotter weather but yes you are right to be worried (as we do). It is very spring like at the moment. Can you not turn out at night and keep in during day time(with small holed hay net) or pen off an area with a hay net. Turn out at night.

Chop grazing in half with electric fence. There is plenty of grass around.

The thing is to get use to feeling their feet and pulses. Get someone to show you so you know what normal etc

whiteflower

Visit site
thanks, i have sectioned his field off and started to soak his hay. has anyone else had a case of laminitas with heat in all 4 feet, my other thought was bruising ???

VioletStripe

Visit site
Just keep an eye out for a digital pulse, and be very vigilant. If you can, maybe restrict the grazing in some way - section it off or maybe a grazing muzzle for some period of time if you're really worried. Have heard before that the temperature of feet is not always an accurate way of telling, as the foot temperature naturally alters a bit throughout the day? I think I read that on a laminitis info site somewhere. Anyway, good luck, I too am being very cautious. Connemara + Lush grass = worries :eek:

Tiffany

Visit site
Best to be cautious until you determine what is the 'norm' for his feet so agree with Indie999 about regular checks.

You are soaking his hay, restricting grazing, turning out at night and he's not really overweight so you're doing the right things - I'd keep a close eye on him and call vet if you are concerned.

Janah

Visit site
I had a bit of a panic a week or so ago when I noticed how warm my pony's feet were.

My YO told me to feel some of the other horses feet on the yard. They were all the same!

Panic over.

LittleGinger

Visit site
My friends and I are split over this - a couple think temperature is too variant anyway so not reliable (see link below!) whereas I tend to check it anyway because it could indicate things like abscesses if one is hotter than the other three. Having said that, I do take it with a pinch of salt and tend not to worry if all four are the same - the temperature is warm at the moment and I'm finding that whilst their feet are hotter, so are the bases of their ears and general allover body feels warmer.

I think if it were mine I would check for other signs - e.g. soundness, digital pulse etc., - and if I was still a bit worried I'd probably leave in for 24 hours anyway just to be sure. I tend to be overcautious with lami but then I do have a native and would rather him stay in for one day when it wasn't really needed than let it develop into anything more serious.

Link to article of hoof temperature:

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/horse-care-index/1370/313024.html

From article above:

"The results showed no association at all with diet, even on the laminitis-inducing feed, so they ruled out foot temperature as an indicator of an impending laminitic attack.

They also showed that the temperature varied by as much as 17°C between two feet belonging to the same healthy horse at the same time
."

Obviously just the findings from one study, but interesting anyway.

Last edited:

Alyth

Visit site
Barefoot hooves are warmer than shod hooves due to the blood circulating. Horses need movement and regular intake of food. I would do some investigating on track systems and barefoot sites to get some ideas....