All in one supplements and feed (and a Catrophen tagged on question)

Horsekaren

Visit site
I am assessing my boys feed now i know he wont be coming back into work. I have got into a bit of a supplement frenzie and i need to strip it all back. Non of the supplements have really helped things (apart from the Vit E which very mildly made him feel less stiff to ride about 5 months ago for 1 week)

Can anyone recommend a one stop shop supplement which isn't filled with unnecessary things, has Vit E and is just a good all round dose of good stuff?
His ailments are Arthritis, Wobblers and mild Asthma (Asthma has been managed since living out 24/7)

I know he is retired but i was wondering whether i should maybe look at Catrophen? He has been on Glucosamine for about 6 months (cant say i notice any difference) He is still under insurance for Arthritis and i wondered if i should go down the Catrophen route to see if it helps. My only issue would be if it did, i couldnt be injecting him too often as once insurance is gone it would be expensive. Has anyone used it on a retiree, how often do you top up after loading dose and is it worth while?

He lives out 24/7 on 3 and a bit acres with one other pony, i feed him one big section of hay once a day, and he has one hard feed once a day.

SEL

Visit site
I did cartrophen with my retiree for the first month but he is pretty needle phobic and got to the state after 4 injections where he would look nervously at me if I even gave him a groom, so I decided it wasn't worth the stress. I do think it helped though, but actually danilon is as good for him. After the month loading dose (weekly injections) you move to monthly so might be worth doing it while he is insured and just seeing how you go.

How about just a good quality general purpose balancer? Equinatural can adjust their usual balancer to add in / take out anything you might require so could add the extra natural vitamin E for you.

teddypops

Visit site
Cartrophen definitely helped my old pony. The initial treatment was 4 injections a week apart, I didn’t do any top ups because then my pony’s hocks fused so he didn’t need any.

be positive

Visit site
I started my 30 year old on buteless in the autumn, he had become a bit stiff although no known issues, he is too old to be going through diagnostics when he is basically sound, the difference has been really positive, he is brighter, far more cheeky and active, I opted for this rather than a devils claw one as I had read good things about boswellia, he gets no other supplements just this, grassnuts and linseed as he had dropped a bit more weight than I wanted, worth a try as a joint support.

https://www.equine-america.co.uk/buteless-super-strength-powder/view/178

ihatework

Visit site
I have used Cartrophen strategically on working sports horses but for a retired horse I think there are other ways that are more cost effective and assured to help.

If you are wanting to just give a broad spec supplement I’d go for something like equimins.

Honestly, I would be giving a Danilon a day rather than spending money on joint supps. If you aren’t going that route then a combo of devils claw and boswellia

Annagain

Visit site
My old boy was semi-retired - hacking in walk once or twice a week for 20-30 minutes, to keep his mind active more than anything. We tried retirement and it didn't suit him. He got very depressed so we tried the cartrophen to get him back hacking gently. He only had it once (as in one course of 4 injections) but it definitely made enough of a difference to get him out and about which made a huge difference to his mental state. We lost him to colic before he needed a top up - I think about 18 months after the first lot so can only tell you it lasted at least that long for him. This was 16 years ago and I think they've changed what they do with it now and give more regular injections?

Leo Walker

Visit site
I'm another one who would give him equimins. Probably at half rations. Hes not working or growing, hes got ad lib forage so his food needs are minimal. I'd probably stick it in a handful of grass nuts or chaff etc so I felt like I was giving him a feed.