All these dogs being stolen...

2Greys

Visit site
Sounds scary hopefully they won't be back.

My friend told me of a lady she knows that had adopted 2 saluki lurchers (so both neutered) that was broken into & her dogs stolen. I've been told theives often want the sighthounds for hunting /gambling on.

Think some are stolen for breeding, sell on or even kidnap & ransom to get your dog back. Dogfighting is awful, probably even worse if you'd given your dog away naively than stolen.

MissMistletoe

Visit site
Because a documentary recently interviewed a dog fighter who SAID this. It was on Ch4. look it up.

Also, our local feed shops/pet stores have put notices up on their notice boards warning people not to offer dogs/cats free to a good home for that very reason ^^^^

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Dogs are being stolen there is no doubt about that but there is also fb hysteria as well, last night someone said on fb someone had knocked on their door asking to see their dogs, they said they were from the RSPCA but obviously wasnt, this was in Liverpool. There was the usual response of fear and sharing until someone started asking the poster questions like did you report this to the police etc, immediately the original poster shut down her page, so people are deliberately making hoax posts to get a response and stir people up.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Isn't it Alec! After being out in that wind and on seeing my hair I believe I may be stolen tonight!

Channel Four made a "documentary". It wants viewers and ratings. It won't pick the non shocking ones to interview...

90% of what you read from Facebook that is shared from random people you've never encountered is created for the buzz of watching it spread.

I'm involved with a few rescues. I've not seen a dog that has been involved in dog fighting ever. I've seen many battered and hurt or starved by stupid owners, lots of cruelty cases, but most are simply dumped in reasonable condition by numpties who didn't plan how to look after a dog when they bought it.

Both of my cats were free to good home cats from Preloved. Their previous owner (who rescued them when the local rescues didn't take them as it was full) vetted me and our home. We haven't yet killed them! Charging a few quid won't really make a difference if the seller is an idiot.

Personally I would never leave my dogs outside a shop or pub, never leave them unattended in my garden (I know they'd get out somehow anyway). They are part of my family and I do everything I can to safeguard them.

I've had dogs over 30 years and have hundreds of friends and acquaintances with dogs yet I've never met anyone who had a dog stolen. I'm a huge panicer, but this one doesn't set me off!

MissMistletoe

Visit site
It's just as well that dogs don't have manes, isn't it?

Alec.

Ha ha Alec!! Indeed it is!

Honey08 makes a good point really, about not leaving your dogs unnatended (which is common sense anyway)

Anyway,am happy to report that both Lurchers currently 'plait free' and unscathed after lounging on the sofa all afternoon. One does have goose poo on her face though!

Aru

Visit site
Unidentified road traffic accidents on escapies likely make up a large proportion of the missing dogs as well. We get plenty in without any details (dead and alive)and not everyone thinks to ring all the vets in the surrounding areas.Council clears up a lot as well.no collar with tags and no microchip chip(or not properly checked..not sure if council coĺlecters would even be able to check for a chip!)means no way to contact owners.

Plenty of people just keep strays without looking properly for owners as well esp friendly small dogs .we often find microchips in "strays" but sadly few are registered correctly to get them home.

working dogs get stolen for selling on as well.lurchers etc are workers to some people.

puppy farming always needs new breeding bitches as well so an entire female who looks the part is attractive.
In the country esp in sheep areas shooting and disposing of wandering dogs is not uncommon either.

I do think unattended dogs escape more often than are stolen though.

planete

Visit site
"puppy farming always needs new breeding bitches as well so an entire female who looks the part is attractive."

My bitches have "neutered" written on their tags.

Teaselmeg

Visit site
Over the last 10 or so years I know of 2 incidences of dog theft to people I 'know'. One had their kennels broken into and their spaniels stolen, they got them back after months of searching. The other one had a van pull up in the distance and they called and whistled and produced a lurcher themselves and my friend's very friendly lurcher ran over to play with their dog and was bundled into the van and gone. She got him back about 2 weeks later, he was on a traveller site.

The owner of a Lurcher rescue know, regularly warns people not to put their dogs for free on Gumtree etc, she has seen the consequences.

paulineh

Visit site
I was riding the other day in my local woods and came across some people that asked us to keep our eyes out for a Golden Lab that had gone missing. While talking to them they had a phone call. Someone had found the dog a mile away. It was just wondering around.

My feelings are that if you can not keep an eye on your dog while out then it should be on a lead.

Twenty years ago I had my working Springer stolen from my yard. In those days there was no FB or other means of advertising on the internet. We had a phone call saying where the dog was but as it was a gypsy site the police would not go in. I never did see my dog again.

RunToEarth

Visit site
My JRT disappeared before Christmas, she is a farm ratting dog and was outside with me at about 10pm one evening, we were cleaning everything up after the sale, I could hear her ratting in the yard but when it came to coming in time, she was nowhere to be seen.

I don't know what happened to her, we probably never will find out. We had taken all of the dogs out of the way for the farm sale, mostly because we have two well bred gun dogs and you always get dubious types knocking about at sales.

It's a bit strange, she was 8years old and a very streetwise JRT - she knew her way around and wasn't stupid, it is not like her to wonder off or get stuck, but the farm has been gone over with a fine tooth comb and she isn't there. Unfortunately, much as I love her, you wouldn't be pinching her to sell on - she is a scruffy little farm dog with a bit of a bad attitude. I really hope she didn't get stolen by anyone wanting to use her for bait, but all I will ever do is hope for her to come home.

FionaM12

Visit site
My JRT disappeared before Christmas, she is a farm ratting dog and was outside with me at about 10pm one evening, we were cleaning everything up after the sale, I could hear her ratting in the yard but when it came to coming in time, she was nowhere to be seen.

I don't know what happened to her, we probably never will find out. We had taken all of the dogs out of the way for the farm sale, mostly because we have two well bred gun dogs and you always get dubious types knocking about at sales.

It's a bit strange, she was 8years old and a very streetwise JRT - she knew her way around and wasn't stupid, it is not like her to wonder off or get stuck, but the farm has been gone over with a fine tooth comb and she isn't there. Unfortunately, much as I love her, you wouldn't be pinching her to sell on - she is a scruffy little farm dog with a bit of a bad attitude. I really hope she didn't get stolen by anyone wanting to use her for bait, but all I will ever do is hope for her to come home.

:( I hope she turns up. That's so sad.

RunToEarth

Visit site
:( I hope she turns up. That's so sad.

Me too, or she was found by a nice family who think she is a stray because she had been ratting and was filthy, and they haven't seen my missing posters so are looking after her.

More than anything I just hope she hasn't met a bad ending, she is such a wonderful trusting little dog and I love her to bits.

Alec Swan

Visit site
RTE, your predicament has never been mine, and I pray that it never is. You'll have turned the place in-side-out, obviously, but it wouldn't surprise me were you to find your wee girl, closer to home than you think. It's the 'not knowing' which is so dreadful, I'd imagine.

Even though the lost dog is a terrier (bloody things!:p), you have my sympathy.

Alec. x

shannonandtay

Visit site
Just a few years ago our local paper reported that organised dog fights was a very real problem in my area and that the local dog wardens were struggling to cope, it didn't mention if ordinary pet dogs were being used as bait, but would I put it past these nasty individuals, no I certainly wouldn't.

RunToEarth

Visit site
I've just heard that my friend who lives a couple of miles away also lost her JRT the same evening. So it's either a huge coincidence, or the worst of my fears. I'm completely heartbroken.

RhaLoulou

Visit site
I would never leave my dog unattended, I only ever leave her locked in the car if I can see her while I run an errand. She is a mongrel, so no monetary value, but she is an attractive dog and has always solicited interest and not just from people who want to give her a pat, it's always makes me grip her lead tight!

WelshD

Visit site
I don't think the craze for 'designer' dogs helps. Previously people who wanted to spend good money on a dog did some research in to the traits they needed (working dog, show dog etc) and selected accordingly.

These days more people seem willing to spend money on pets which has led to an explosion of undesirables (of all walks of life) round here at least who are making a killing selling dogs with snazzy 'breed' names (the list of which seems evergrowing) that have no breeding history or registration which at the end of the day only needs two unneutered canines of recognisable breed to produce. Half a day of trawling parks and streets would no doubt throw up two candidates and then not too many months later you could pocket a couple of grand or more

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Hate to throw the cat amongst the pigeons, but a while back, on TV (but don't remember the channel) I was watching a program where health inspectors or Trading Standards or similar were inspecting the meat in curries in some lower priced establishments, and found it was dog. I think the dog replaced lamb. The source of the dogs was unknown. I guess it *could* be cheaper than lamb though. It was in the UK. I guess the taste of curry would disguise the type of meat.

I only have chicken curry now rather than horse/beef or lamb/dog.

bonny

Visit site
Hate to throw the cat amongst the pigeons, but a while back, on TV (but don't remember the channel) I was watching a program where health inspectors or Trading Standards or similar were inspecting the meat in curries in some lower priced establishments, and found it was dog. I think the dog replaced lamb. The source of the dogs was unknown. I guess it *could* be cheaper than lamb though. It was in the UK. I guess the taste of curry would disguise the type of meat.

Blimey, I thought it was paranoid that people think dogs are stolen as so called bait dogs but you've hit a higher bar with the idea that dogs are stolen to go in curries !

FionaM12

Visit site

Blimey, I thought it was paranoid that people think dogs are stolen as so called bait dogs but you've hit a higher bar with the idea that dogs are stolen to go in curries !

And there starts another internet scare story... ;)

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I can't remember which TV program it was, but did a quick Google and found a load of responses, this being one from the Telegraph... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodandd...8347/Was-dog-put-in-an-Indian-lamb-curry.html

And this one about cats from the Independent.. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...ered-near-manchesters-curry-mile-9674567.html

Daily Mail... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Thailand-s-dog-meat-trade.html#ixzz3HSuHY3KR

So, it looks like a daily paper scare too, although it was the TV I first saw it on.

bonny

Visit site
I can't remember which TV program it was, but did a quick Google and found a load of responses, this being one from the Telegraph... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodandd...8347/Was-dog-put-in-an-Indian-lamb-curry.html

And this one about cats from the Independent.. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...ered-near-manchesters-curry-mile-9674567.html

Daily Mail... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Thailand-s-dog-meat-trade.html#ixzz3HSuHY3KR

So, it looks like a daily paper scare too, although it was the TV I first saw it on.

Think you'll need to do a bit better than that with your detective work ! One is a story from Thailand, one about cat's heads and one about an unidentified meat in an Indian takeaway ! Hardly evidence of dogs being stolen to eat .....

Tiffany

Visit site
I'm amazed at how many dogs are being stolen. Some from gardens, house break ins, when being walked or if they get away from owner and then caught by an opportunist thief.
The thought of them being used for bait is heart breaking.

FionaM12

Visit site
I'm amazed at how many dogs are being stolen. Some from gardens, house break ins, when being walked or if they get away from owner and then caught by an opportunist thief.
The thought of them being used for bait is heart breaking.

How do you know so many dogs are stolen though? Genuine question. I see stories on Facebook saying a dog's been stolen, but often the outcome is it turns up nearby, clearly having wandered off. I'm involved with a local dog charity and through my involvement follow lost and found dog cases, and haven't yet actually come across a case of a dog which had definitely been stolen.

I'm NOT saying it never happens, and it must be awful for the owners when it does. :( It's just that when people say it happens a lot, I have to say that's not my experience.

Smitty

Visit site
How do you know so many dogs are stolen though? Genuine question. I see stories on Facebook saying a dog's been stolen, but often the outcome is it turns up nearby, clearly having wandered off. I'm involved with a local dog charity and through my involvement follow lost and found dog cases, and haven't yet actually come across a case of a dog which had definitely been stolen.

I'm NOT saying it never happens, and it must be awful for the owners when it does. :( It's just that when people say it happens a lot, I have to say that's not my experience.

I think you need to forget Facebook and look at Its Been Nicked (where you need a crime number to post) and Dog lost.

I really have no idea if theft is on the increase, proportional to say 50 years ago, but I remember my mum telling me that she never put the dogs names on their tags as people could call them away.

Were not dogs reputedly taken for vivisection in 'the old days'? I think the Indian/Chinese restuaraunt thing has been going forever, but are are the proprietors of such going to risk their licences in the event of a spot check by the authorities?

What I do think has happened is that with the internet it is now dead easy to make people instantly aware that your dog is missing - and the people up at my yard tend to put on Facebook that they have just had a cup of tea, never mind their dog has gone missing for a couple of hours - whereas a few years ago you would have relied on newspaper coverage, adverts and word of mouth, and by the time all that had been put into place, any dog that had merely wandered off would likely have returned.

I lost my very nasty, muzzled terrier whilst walking him 5 mins from my house. He was just in front of me and then i lost sight of him when the pathway curved. That was 5 years ago now and there has never been any word of him. I'm 99% sure he nipped under a chain link fence into some industrial units where there is a lorry park and also the usual suspects collect scrap there.

He was a rescue dog and very good looking - I always had a feeling he would be pinched. There are not many 'plain' dogs on Dog lost!!

Nudibranch

Visit site

Chicken curry? Ive heard cat is almost indistinguishable ;)

hairycob

Visit site
Oh gosh, if you looked into some of the exposes on "unfit for human consumption" chicken making it's way into the catering industry you would probably never have chicken curry again!