All weather turnout, advice please

whiteflower

Visit site
Wondering if anyone can give any pearls of wisdom in relation to an all weather turn out. I'm about to put in a planning application so after any dos or don'ts for my situation from those of you with experience/ideas.

We are going for proper drainage like a small arena with surface. It will be used winter only to turn out 1 horse at a time (possibly 2 that get on) the biggest I think will fit will be 15 X 15m will this be big enough for a leg stretch, roll ?

What surface ? Our muck heap gets taken by local farmer and I want the ability to put the poo on the muck heap so no rubber/carpet. Will just equestrian sand work ? I don't want it getting too deep as I have some with lameness issues ?

I intend to put a hay bar in one corner or is there a better way to give hay on a surface to reduce the risk of them eating sand ?

Is it worth putting in an automatic waterer or will they kick surface into it ? Am I better putting a hanging bucket on the fence ?

Anything else I need to consider ? Open to all ideas as I really want to get it right. Does anyone else have this kind of set up ?

Trying to make winter easier, we r on the stickiest clay and no matter how few horses on the land it just bogs in the winter !!

GirlFriday

Visit site
If it wasn't for the rolling requirement (do none of them do this in their stables?) I'd have thought a harder surface might be more practical for that size... Won't get boggy/into much heap/mixed with hay... something large-ish with a finer topping?

ironhorse

Visit site
At our previous yard they have six pens (it's a big yard!) most of which I think are 15m max - horses tend to go out individually. They have used old arena surface (might be worth putting an advert on local Facebook groups etc to see if anyone is getting rid) on top of a membrane and drainage. Hay is simply fed in haynets tied to the fence, and they use ordinary water buckets (although you might want heavy ones and top them up with another bucket if you have thugs!) They use full width yard gates - i have seen narrow gates used and they are not much fun with a fresh horse! It needs to be secure but easy to lead through. They also use high, sturdy vinyl electric tape for fences - many of the horses are big warmbloods and this is to discourage jumping out, and also so that stallions can go out next to a gelding. It's one of the best pen set ups that I have seen.
Some people do use hardcore type surfaces but the risk of injury would worry me as they do tend to have a bit of a hooley in them and if you can't turn out on grass in the winter, they need to be able to let off steam safely. Mine was pretty quiet out there even when on restricted exercise but loved to have a roll followed by a buck and squeal!

whiteflower

Visit site
Hi thanks for the reply, I'm going for a soft surface as some of the younger horses are likely to have a bit of a hoon round and don't want them doing that on hardcore type surface (or rolling!) But thank you, we do already have an area with type one then road plannings on top but they do roll on it and scuff their knees/hocks and I don't like them cantering on it. Would save me alot of money if they would just happily mooch round and eat hay !!

whiteflower

Visit site
Thanks ironhorse, that exactly the sort of thing I'm thinking of. It sounds like 15x15 may be big enough then. Good idea re the fencing too, something to consider as I was thinking post and rail .

case895

Visit site
Club Tropicana (my winter turnout) is 15 m x 15 m. It has a field shelter, tap, haynets and is surfaced with Type 2 and rotted straw.

pippixox

Visit site
I think that is a good size for mooching!
my friend has woodchip pens for her horses, with access from their stables.
they have hardcore underneath to aid drainage. But it does rot down quite a bit when it is very wet.
however, we have a tree surgeon company at the same farm so they dump their chip for free- saves them space and both of us money (there are some chips you were meant to avoid encase they eat them) also no problem with muck heap then

whiteflower

Visit site
Thanks for the replies, club Tropicana made me laugh out loud !!
I had considered bark chips but really want something easily maintained long term and as you say it will mulch down and need topping up and I'm not lucky enough to have tree surgeons on site , that must be a big bonus !
We have just had the quote through for a 15x15 area with drainage pipes, membrane, crushed rock, membrane heat sealed in with sand on top and it's not quite as horrendous as I thought so unless better ideas come up that's probably where we will go. Sounds like 15x15 will be big enough which is a relief as that's the area it will fit on best.
Just a bit concerned it may get deep ?
Good comment re the gate size, I had considered a small gate but good point re big fresh horses ! We will go standard field gate I think.
I'm also concerned how it will stand up to digging and rolling ? It's such a big outlay but I really think it will make winter life easier

Fiona

Visit site
Our all weather turnout is roughly 15 by 15. It is made of stone, membrane and then 6mm stone as a surface. Post and rail fencing with normal size gate so we can get in to level it.

Fiona