All weather turnout advice

Charlie31

Visit site
I'm looking into the possibility of installing an all weather turnout area. It would be used all year round, both for when the fields are muddy in winter and to limit grazing during the summer.

The land is rented so ideally I need a fairly practical solution but equally I don't see the point of putting in something really cheap if it only lasts five minutes.

I don't really know where to start with this so could anybody give me some helpful pointers please?

TheMule

Visit site
The problem is that any permanent solution will need planning permission and any temporary solution is likely to not really be cut out for the job. I guess Mud Control slabs might be a good compromise, but they are eye-watering lay expensive, much more expensive than digging out, hardcoring and putting a top surface on would be

poiuytrewq

Visit site
We have a woodchip turnout area. It’s not huge and was done fairly cheaply. We don’t own the place and was just told to tidy and use an area that the previous people by the looks had used as a rubbish burning area. We scraped the top off. Don’t think it was dug down a lot. Put hard core, scalpings then woodchip.
Post and rail around it with retaining boards round the bottom.
It’s great. The chip does need replacing every few years as it turns to mush.
We are this year going to look at other surfaces.

be positive

Visit site
The problem is that any permanent solution will need planning permission and any temporary solution is likely to not really be cut out for the job. I guess Mud Control slabs might be a good compromise, but they are eye-watering lay expensive, much more expensive than digging out, hardcoring and putting a top surface on would be

You would also need the land owner to agree to any plans to make changes to the land before putting in for pp, although you do not need to own it to apply, the land owner may be less than happy to have changes made or have a failed application linked to their property.

Lintel

Visit site
We have a woodchip turnout area. It’s not huge and was done fairly cheaply. We don’t own the place and was just told to tidy and use an area that the previous people by the looks had used as a rubbish burning area. We scraped the top off. Don’t think it was dug down a lot. Put hard core, scalpings then woodchip.
Ditto this ???

Charlie31

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Obviously wouldn't do anything without the owners permission and I don't think mud control mats would be a long term option so I guess it does come down to the practicalities.

Ditto this ???

In these cases did you need to apply for planning or not? I will obviously seek professional advice on whether is needed or not and that's not necessarily a problem anyway but I'm just trying to get a feel for what's what at the moment.

Lintel

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Obviously wouldn't do anything without the owners permission and I don't think mud control mats would be a long term option so I guess it does come down to the practicalities.

In these cases did you need to apply for planning or not? I will obviously seek professional advice on whether is needed or not and that's not necessarily a problem anyway but I'm just trying to get a feel for what's what at the moment.
We didn't, we are in Scotland thought not sure if it is any different?

Charlie31

Visit site
We didn't, we are in Scotland thought not sure if it is any different?

No, neither am I! Not sure if it might even be regional as people who have put in permanent track systems seem to vary a lot with whether they needed planning or not. Will have to look into it.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
No we didn’t, I can’t see why it would need pp. That said it’s needed to build a school which is much the same thing looks wise? Mines smaller sadly, otherwise it’d be a school not a turnout ?