allen and page calm & condition?

guccigivi2001

Visit site
any thoughts as to how much it may weigh dry per scoop and then how much that may weigh once soaked? not tried it yet but giving properly calculating neddies grub a go and work out what i should be feeding her with the help f my instructor :) oh and any super non-heating super conditioning feed recomendations would be fab, shes 9, mad as a frog, in light to medium work and hard to keep weight on, someone suggested i try spillers senior mix even tho shes not an oldie? cheers guys :) xx

sms

Visit site
I've had great results with adding condition BUT both relatively sane horses became spooky fizzy things on it!

woodlandswow

Visit site
always had great results feeding calm and condition to my last two ponies,
never weighed it, as on the back of the pack, weigh it dry and then double that as you are adding water, also it depends how much water you add, i like mine with a little on the soggier side!!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Speak to Allen and Page about how much you can feed.

One horse on our yard was fed an enormous soaked amount twice a day - and looked ok on it.

I've only known one other horse on it - and again the horse looked ok.

But both only looked Ok. And It would be interesting to see what other non heating conditioning feeds are out there - because I've seen much better results with products like spillers and D&H.

You could try a senior mix - or cube, which is better - because they contain more calories than 'regular' mix or nuts. But if she's hot - then you're going to have to watch how much she gets.......

sassybebe

Visit site
A great feed - would recommend to anyone with a "skinny". Have fed it to a very poor 4 yo and turned him round to looking normal within a month!

Have done exactly the same with my 4 year old, he looks like a different horse 2 months on. Have also fed it to several highly strung (nutter) horses with no adverse behavioural effects

soulfull

Visit site
The only thing I found was it is an expensive way to feed beet!
baileys do one called 'outshine' expensive but you only feed a small amount and put weight on my old horse when nothing else worked

coen

Visit site
I wasn't a fan, it didn't help my gelding put on weight although it didn't fizz him up either.
You have to feed a hell of a lot to get enough calories and it more than doubles when soaked.

coss

Visit site
i mix C&C in with outshine and speedibeet.. and greengold... my mare also has oats... she's a chestnut arab mare and is 33 so hard to maintain weight. she's not highly strung on any of the above feed but the outshine did perk her up a bit :p

clopper

Visit site
I wasn't a fan, it didn't help my gelding put on weight although it didn't fizz him up either.
You have to feed a hell of a lot to get enough calories and it more than doubles when soaked.
Agree I struggled to get my 'skinny' to eat the recommended amount and she was anyhting but calm when on it.

Thembu

Visit site
I have been feeding my ex race horse it for about a month now, he gets one of the round scoops with 2 scoops of chaff or moilchop and boy what a difference, hes shiney, put weight one and looks fab, it also hasnt made him fizzy at all. but if you ring or email the people at allen and page their really friendly and helpful and will send you a sample of it out to try before you buy :D

guccigivi2001

Visit site
ahhhh fab guys, when we first got her she had dengie alfa-beet (sp?) but sent her up the wall and was a nightmare as had to be soaked for ages etc etc not quite so practical, she currently has spillers slow release cubes from the response range and molichaff showshine, which she loves and will probably have to be weaned off with great difficulty. and its in vast quantities! loads of people have said its worth a go so may be off to buy a bag, apparantly if you add more water it can soak in a little more water to produce more of the finished product? hopefully she wont be one of those ones that it sends loopy!
may give spillers a ring with regards to senior mix as im sort of now understanding why to use it a bit more after some research

Cyclops

Visit site
I've been feeing C&C to m TB ex racehorse for years and she has been brilliant on it - she was a nightmare to hunt when I first got her - now she keeps her weight on, looks really well and will go first or last - even stops after a jump to go back and get someone's dropped whip whilst the rest of the field are whizzing past. I do use a feed balancer as well when she is in heavy work, i.e. eventing, team chasing etc. Also use it on my new DWB young eventer - tried her on the Allan and page Power and Performance but she did get fizzy on that so back to C&C and she has been brilliant all season. I feed her one scoop am and one pm with double scoops of water along with Alpha A and a mug of feed balancer. She is 5 and has evented all season - keeping weight on, coping with the times but not being stupid which she is perfectly capable of!!

coreteam1

Visit site
My boy is a spooky thing and I find Allen & Page C & C great. He also tend to drop a lot of weight over winter and found this feed to be the best for him. I do agree I have to feed a lot of it.
My boy gets 3/4 of dry c&c in his morning and night feed, which when I've added two scoops of water to each feed, makes approx 2/3 scoops of the C&C. I feed this with one large scoop of HiFi and in winter (I've started now) he gets this mixed with Allen & Page Power and performance, which I have found great for the work he does without sending him loopy.

The quantities of feed he gets may sound alarming large, however he is 17.2hh :)

Horseback Rider

Visit site
I feed it to my ex racer and has had no adverse effects at he has put weight on and seems to be maintaining it. he has it with mollichop calmer.

One thing I would say with tb type horses is that mixes that almost always contain cereals can do more harm than good as they have trouble digesting it and they don't really get anything good from it.Last winter I had tried my boy on several types of mix/ conditioning cubes /supplements but nothing put weight on him this year his diet is relativly simple but seems to work !

KatB

Visit site
My boy is a spooky thing and I find Allen & Page C & C great. He also tend to drop a lot of weight over winter and found this feed to be the best for him. I do agree I have to feed a lot of it.
My boy gets 3/4 of dry c&c in his morning and night feed, which when I've added two scoops of water to each feed, makes approx 2/3 scoops of the C&C. I feed this with one large scoop of HiFi and in winter (I've started now) he gets this mixed with Allen & Page Power and performance, which I have found great for the work he does without sending him loopy.

The quantities of feed he gets may sound alarming large, however he is 17.2hh :)

That's really not a huge amount, when you consider the amounts recommended on the bag for a horse of that size ;)

I really like the feed, but it can make some sharp because it's got maize in it. definitely worth a try though as it is one of the lowest starch conditioning feeds out there.

If that doesn't work, I would put her on Topspec and their cool condition cubes. Really conditioning, they look fab without getting silly :) Not cheap though :(