Allen & Page Fast Fibre

starry94

Visit site
My horse who is a good doer is currently fed on a handful or 2 of Dengie hifi good doer, just to give him something to come in for as he can be tricky to catch, and to give him his supplements.
I have been looking at other feeds and have come across Allen & Page fast fibre, who uses it & reccommends it? Thinking of possibly switching him onto that if it's as good as people say

smellsofhorse

Visit site
My horse didn't like it as it was too
I now feed him pure feeds conditioning cubes.

I've also heard fast fibre is full if things you wouldn't want a horse watching his weight to eat and can make them hyper.

Why not try something like pure easy from pure feeds.
Its balanced. Only a small amounti needed and looks and smells lovely!

picolenicole

Visit site
My RI uses fast fibre and she reccommends it, that much that once my happy hoof is all gone I will be feding it to my cob.

Both me and RI have very good doers and she says it has not put weight on hers, and has not sent him hyper (welsh cob type)

monkeybum13

Visit site
I'm full of praise for fast fibre, certainly doesn't make them hyper!

I've fed it to good doers to mix supplements in. I feed such a minimal amount that chaff went 'off' before I would finish the bag but being pellets the fast fibre lasts much longer.

Mister Ted

Visit site
I would highly recommend this product as I used it for years with my welshB. The ingredients are good quality ,soaks very quickly and as its low energy ideal fo r good doers.Very palatable and every bit eaten without having to add tit bits.I dont think molasses are added which reduces the sugar content further.

ThePony

Visit site
Love fast fibre, a good fatty feed that our 'prone to chubb' two seem to love. No undesirable side effects, particularly good as one of ours seems very easily het up by different feeds. It is easy to get hold of, pretty cheap and because it is soaked a little goes a long way.

Pure easy is pretty much grass and straw, with some oat and oil. Not much in it which is of course a good thing, but you could always just feed the straight chaff if you want something basic. Can't possibly be balanced as the manufacturers have no idea what the rest of your horse's diet is like! Can only be a best guess.

starry94

Visit site
Thanks everyone, how long does a bag generally last you? My good doer chaff can last me 2 months because he only gets small amounts.

Also, would like to know what high fibre cubes people reccommend?

ThePony

Visit site
We have two on fast fibre (a couple of handfuls each though) and a bag lasts well over a month. We use badminton high fibre nuggets if a treat is required, and I also use spillers high fibre cubes as a tea sprinkle to get my fussy mare to eat up!

Unless you want to, then there would be no reason to add a chaff or high fibre cubes to the fast fibre. A little fast fibre along with a vit and min supp (As I assume you won't be feeding the - rather massive - recommended amount) would cover all bases.

starry94

Visit site
We have two on fast fibre (a couple of handfuls each though) and a bag lasts well over a month. We use badminton high fibre nuggets if a treat is required, and I also use spillers high fibre cubes as a tea sprinkle to get my fussy mare to eat up!

Unless you want to, then there would be no reason to add a chaff or high fibre cubes to the fast fibre. A little fast fibre along with a vit and min supp (As I assume you won't be feeding the - rather massive - recommended amount) would cover all bases.

thanks :) i'm thinking of getting a bag of high fibre cubes to use as an occassional treat instead of using actual treats :)

ThePony

Visit site
thanks :) i'm thinking of getting a bag of high fibre cubes to use as an occassional treat instead of using actual treats :)

Just what I do, ponies think they are wonderful and I would rather spend £9 on a massive sack rather than ££££s on tiny little bags of pretty much the same thing! The badminton nuggets are ace for treats as they are pretty chunky. I just keep them in a tupperware box then they are to hand if I want one. Them or the spillers ones at just one or two at a time go down very well. The ponies certainly don't seem to feel cheated by my miserliness!

AngieandBen

Visit site

I've also heard fast fibre is full if things you wouldn't want a horse watching his weight to eat and can make them hyper.

!! Never heard of it making a horse hyper! Its about the lowest feed in terms of sugar/starch you can get, certainly wouldn't make them fat! ( unless you gave them the whole bag :) ) Plus its fairly good price and lasts my two months.

acw295

Visit site
It's a really good feed - if your horse will eat it!

Molly ate it for about a week, then she would only eat it mixed with chaff. Now she won't touch it at all, even when starving! I have almost a full bag of the blimmin' stuff left :/

I LOVE the badminton high fibre nuggets- use these in her treat ball (she is on box rest post surgery). I've never met anything that does't love the nuggets :)

teasle

Visit site
Would not recommend feeding fast fibre for hand treats as you have to soak it in lots of water- but it is a good feed for good doers to put supplements in.

starry94

Visit site
Would not recommend feeding fast fibre for hand treats as you have to soak it in lots of water- but it is a good feed for good doers to put supplements in.

yes im not going to feed fast fibre as a treat, i was asking what brand of high fibre cubes people suggest :)

LittleGinger

Visit site
My laminitic has FF (as a feed, not hay replacer) and looks really well on it - he's not hyper and is just the right weight. It's cheap to buy and seems to last weeks as well.

The only problem was that he went off it quite quickly - I mix it with Mollichaff Veteran now and he likes that mix.

nosenseofdirection

Visit site
Mine ate FF for about a fortnight and then turned her nose up at it, so I gave up on it. Tbh I'd rather give her speedibeet as it's cheaper and she eats it all- FF is supposed to be a complete feed but there's no way you can feed as much as it says on the bag, so you have to feed a balancer anyway.

SO1

Visit site
My pony is on it and he is on a long stint of box rest after breaking his splint bone so I hope it does not make him hyper or fat! Though having looked at the ingredients there is nothing in that should make them hyper.

sleepingdragon10

Visit site

:rolleyes:
Really?

I use FF for my boy, have done for about 18 months. I feed it alongside a small amount of Coprameal and he's thriving, is NOT hyper, and he loves it.
It's perfect for the good doer, is low in calories and starch and you can feed it in small quantities as a bucket feed, or in larger quantities as a partial hay replacer.

To me it's invaluable, the pony loves it so I won;t be changing anytime soon.

AngieandBen

Visit site
My laminitic has FF (as a feed, not hay replacer) and looks really well on it - he's not hyper and is just the right weight. It's cheap to buy and seems to last weeks as well.

The only problem was that he went off it quite quickly - I mix it with Mollichaff Veteran now and he likes that mix.

I certainly wouldn't be giving a laminitic Mollichaff Veteran, there's a lot of sugar in it, about 15%!!

katie_southwest

Visit site
I feed Fast Fibre to my 2 - One good doer cob, and one 30 year old pony :)

I like it for my cob because it hides her supplement in nicely...
And the oldie likes it because its nice and sloppy and he doesnt have many teeth :D

They arent keen on it just on its own, so I put a sprinkle of chaff into it which seems to make ALL the difference :)

SNORKEY

Visit site
We give this to our fatty's in the winter and my nutty horse in the summer as he still needs a little bit to eat. They love it and it doesn't wind them up. It only takes 1 min to soak and in the winter you can do that with warm water to make it nicer.

spookypony

Visit site
I use FF as a base for the minerals my pony gets. He won't eat it by itself, sadly, so I add a bit of Spillers Meadowherb (which he almost certainly shouldn't be getting!). All in all, I use about 150g of the FF and 150g of the MH, which barely covers the bottom of the bucket.

superted1989

Visit site
Love fast fibre! Most horses can eat it, and it fulfils the horse owner's desire to 'feed'.
My good doer cob doesn't need the recommended amount, but he gets it to damp down his balancer and fibergy combo. During the winter, his amount of fast fibre will increase to a kilo a day (split over 2 feeds). A bag lasts just over 3 weeks in winter, during the summer months a few of us share a bag to stop it possibly spoiling.
It takes just a minute to soak, so there's no need to hang about or make feed ready way before you need it.

MissMistletoe

Visit site
Mine ate it for a while, then went off it even refusing to eat it in the depths of winter.

I use cheap Pegasus or Hi-Light brand high fibre nuts for £6.50 a bag, and they soak into a lovely mash within seconds, like FF does.

So you have a soakable mash for a bucket feed and nuts for treats in just one bag!.

**Vanner**

Visit site
I use cheap Pegasus or Hi-Light brand high fibre nuts for £6.50 a bag, and they soak into a lovely mash within seconds, like FF does.

So you have a soakable mash for a bucket feed and nuts for treats in just one bag!.

This ^^^^. I feed spellers hi fibre cubes, can make a mash, use as treats or just add to feed for some crunch, and no on can accidentally feed them with possible side effects.

Perissa

Visit site
IMHO it is an expensive way to feed straw, oat husk and sugar beet, which is what Fast Fibre is. It does NOT contain a broad spectum of vits and mins. It is palatable because of the addition of Mint and Fenugreek.

It also contains garlic which should not be fed to horses suffering Sweet Itch and other auto immune problems.

JMHO :)

AngieandBen

Visit site
IMHO it is an expensive way to feed straw, oat husk and sugar beet, which is what Fast Fibre is. It does NOT contain a broad spectum of vits and mins. It is palatable because of the addition of Mint and Fenugreek.

It also contains garlic which should not be fed to horses suffering Sweet Itch and other auto immune problems.

JMHO :)

Most people use it to carry vitamins and minerals in though, usually a very small amount ie a handful. It works out very cheap, one bag at £8 last my two at least two months.

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
Most people use it to carry vitamins and minerals in though, usually a very small amount ie a handful. It works out very cheap, one bag at £8 last my two at least two months.

Agreed :)

One bag currently last me about 6/7 weeks at 1/3rd scoop per day, in winter it's a bag a month.

TBH, as long as pony is happy on it I won't be changing anytime soon. As far as I'm concerned most of these low energy/fibre nut feeds are pretty much the same thing. I like FF due to it's low starch profile which is essential for my lami prone boy. Even the Spillers cubes are 10% starch which is not a huge amount I know, but for him it may just be too much.