Allen & Page Fast Fibre

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
IMHO it is an expensive way to feed straw, oat husk and sugar beet, which is what Fast Fibre is. It does NOT contain a broad spectum of vits and mins. It is palatable because of the addition of Mint and Fenugreek.

It also contains garlic which should not be fed to horses suffering Sweet Itch and other auto immune problems.

JMHO :)

I'd forgotten that fact about garlic. :)

Just as an aside, if I feed straight beet pulp(not the added mollassed crap, but a speedibeet/kwikbeet product) the pony is just too silly, hence my liking of FF.

Magstepper

Visit site
I fed this to a TB instead of sugarbeet. He used to get hot on any hard feed and it really worked for him. The only thing I would say is it is extremely dangerous if the horse gets any dry by mistake far worse than sugarbeet.

Someone on my yard put a handful of feed in for my horse as they went out riding to keep him quiet. Thought it was the blue chip bag but it was actually fast fibre. Because it swells so quickly especially with warm saliva it got stuck in his throat and caused him to choke. I had arrived at the yard 10 minutes later and called the vet immediately. They cleared the blockage and he seem ok only to go down with collic the next day. He was at the vets for nearly a week and they were very suprised he made it through.

Ive had horses get out and eat some sugarbeet in the night and got away with it, but with this stuff it could be fatal! So just make sure you lock it away, I certainly do now!

charliehands

Visit site
I had my mare on it last winter and she went absolutely bonkers, couldnt work out what it was as it said it was suitable for horses at rest/ light work but it couldnt have been anything else as she was only having hay when in at night. after she dumped me in a field and galloped 2 miles home i decided to try and change something so now all she has is a handful of happy hoof to hide her sups in and back to sanity... phew

but if anyone is considering buying some i think its on offer in ountrywide at the moment :)

ps i should add that she wasnt getting a large amount, shes 17hh and she had 1 cup of ff with 3 cups of water

thatsmygirl

Visit site
I use fast fibre on 5 horses at the mo. It's a great feed for adding their vits/mins.
Most feed contain husks etc and far worst if u look into some feeds.
Fast fibre is cheap and last a long time.

NooNoo59

Visit site
I am interested in feeding this after reading threads about more fibre needed in ahorses diet, have swtiched to Spiller hi fibre cubes, but wonder is this might be a good addition for the winter. We leave our feeds out in the morning as first person on the yard feeds all, so if i soak the night before will it be ok to feed in the morning? Also what does everyone feed chaff wise - very confused with all the brands on the market at the moment, any advice greatfully received. My pony is a good doer and is off at the moment with an injury.

horsey mad matt

Visit site
Thanks everyone, how long does a bag generally last you? My good doer chaff can last me 2 months because he only gets small amounts.

Also, would like to know what high fibre cubes people reccommend?

don't buy actual high fibre cubes because they are around £9 something. whereas if you buy cheap horse and pony cubes, they are exacly the same but cheaper (for example saracen livery pecils £6-7 or rural feeds H+P nuts £7 ish) (the only one that i have found isn't just a high fibre cube is spillers H+P cubes)

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
I had my mare on it last winter and she went absolutely bonkers, couldnt work out what it was as it said it was suitable for horses at rest/ light work but it couldnt have been anything else as she was only having hay when in at night. after she dumped me in a field and galloped 2 miles home i decided to try and change something so now all she has is a handful of happy hoof to hide her sups in and back to sanity... phew

but if anyone is considering buying some i think its on offer in ountrywide at the moment :)

ps i should add that she wasnt getting a large amount, shes 17hh and she had 1 cup of ff with 3 cups of water

Isn't it funny how different things affect different horses :)

I fed my boy Dengie's Alfa A Lite and it got to the point that it was dangerous to ride, so we dropped it, et voila, I had my normal pony back!!

Supertrooper

Visit site
I really like it, even a small amount swells up quite a bit when soaked and therefore lasts awhile when they're eating it. When you have two good doers and one pony who has to have supplementary feed then it works well. Our two love it and a bag lasts them a good while.

At the moment the shire x has 1/2 scoop and the pony has just under 1/4 scoop twice daily xx