Allergic reaction/ Fly bites?

Jemayni

Visit site
Just wondered if anyone had any ideas on this. My pony has never had any sort of reaction to anything previously, but in the last week he's started to get raised lumps all over his body, they are about 1 - 2 cm in diameter and have little scabby heads, there are clusters of them on his shoulder. At first I thought these were fly bites, but Im now questioning this as the lumps are not going down and he is in for most of the day anyway. Does anybody have any other ideas as to what the lumps may be, or any suggestions for how to resolve the problem (Im reluctant to buy a fly sheet just in case as he lives with several boisterous colts, that can reck a fly sheet in hours!)

Bossanova

Visit site
A few of ours are having this problem this year.
Vets advise is wrap up in fly sheet and give steroids. Does the trick!

gemmaw

Visit site
There seem to be loads more midges about this year so might be them, I've just got a fly rug from tesco, tried loads others but dont like the fit and its fab!!! fits lovely and close but is plenty deep enough and covers all the important bits, the withers and mane have an anti rub section and the neck is detachable. Even better they are on offer for £17!!!!!!

Llwyncwn

Visit site
Two of mine came in last week with face and neck covered in what I thought was bites initially, but on closer inspection I think it was more like a protein rash (they both had the same when I tried them on black sunflower seeds).

Yesterday my shire came in covered in lumps around head and neck and itching like crazy (he is sweet-itch horse). After putting lotion on they went within a few hours.

I am now of the opinion that due to them being on limited grazing (fatties), they are nibbling on something in the field, trees etc which has had this affect.

Jemayni

Visit site
Interesting, my other horse has had a protien rash before from eating too much rubbish haylage, (it gets left in the fields after the ruminants have been grazing in them,) but I don't think thats sky's problem because he has no real rich protien source at the moment, (unless he could be getting it from the rich grass?) I will take note of what you have said though, Ive been up to DH today to get him a fly rug & if they arent gone in a few days Im going to have to get a vet anyway as the problem is getting worse; if it gets to this stage I will talk to vet about it being a potential protien rash.

Thanks for the input Llyncwm

kayleigh_and_rocky

www.kayleigh-nicholls.piczo.com
I would also say its a type of fly or midge - Rocks and his field mate come up and down with them randomly even though Rocks has a fly sheet on.
My advice would be get yourself a fly sheet, smother in fly spray and apply bite cream - works most of the time. If they get really bad the vet will prescribe you prednisalone (a steroid) but I would avoid that if you can because in my experience the lumps just come back once they're off the preds and you don't want your horse on them all summer, so really I would say thats the last option (I got to that option when rocks entire body was just one big swollen mass)

Jemayni

Visit site
Ritey thanks for the tip hun, Im a bit new to all this lumpiness
tongue.gif
. Rocky is looking fantastic By the way (sig pictures!)