Allergic Reaction to Neoprene Girth

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
Just wanted to know if anyone else has had a problem with a neoprene girth or even just neoprene!!
My daughter's little Section A had a new girth on Friday which was a short neoprene dressage girth. On Saturday she could barely walk and had a huge swelling in between her legs as well as big puffy bits of skin in her armpits and in between her legs. The skin then went hard and stiff and pony couldn't bear to be touched and now the skin seems to be peeling off. She's been covered in Filtabac since it happened and had bute. Vet is coming later - we spoke yesterday but she did seem to be improving so we thought we'd see how we were today. She can't have a steroid jab as she's very laminitis prone. The bute definitely helped though and hopefully we are over the worst of it.

Has anyone else had anything like this?

Imogen Rose

Visit site
Not exactly, but related enough to possibly be of interest!
I don't understand why neoprene is used for girths, as from an engineering standpoint it is a terrible material.
It isn't breathable, and traps heat against the skin, which is why it's great for a wetsuit.
A few years ago I was walking up from the beach to my tent at the campsite, and couldn't be bothered to take my wetsuit off completely, it was pulled down to the waist so I essentially had neoprene shorts on. It was a hot day and a 15 minute walk. By the time I got to the top my legs were dripping in sweat, and I had huge sore red welts on the inside of my thighs, where the.skin was raw. It took weeks to heal, and was really really painful.
I have never worn my wetsuit other than in the sea or used neoprene in a horse again after that!
I really feel for your pony, it sounds like her skin is as sensitive as mine, as it mustn't happen to every horse or they wouldn't sell the girths.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
I can't have it on my skin as it makes it flare up on red blotches

Same with what's in stretchy jeans and work out leggings, my thighs within 10 ish minutes start itching and getting red.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i used neatsfoot oil on my leather girth many years ago, obviously let it sink in and used saddle soap on it before using it. my horse swelled up all round the places where the girth touched him. it took about a week to go down and i had to ride him bareback, i know its not neoprene but the same area...i bought a new girth and never used neatsfoot again..