Almost too mortified to post this but it's a warning

barkinghorse

Visit site
Gave William his allergy injection this evening, as i came out of the stable to dispose of the needle, he went to follow me. As i went to shut the door he leaned over and caught his headcollar on the bolt and freaked!!
As i tried to loosen it, he panicked, took the steel door off it's hinges and flung it round knocking me to the floor with the door on top of me.
Got the vet straight away as he had smashed his head on the over hang of the door. Vet came and told me to go straight to hospital as two of my fingers were badly dislocated and my elbow was somewhere off to the east!
Waited another hour with Will to make sure he was ok and left him happily munching.
got to go back to hospital on wednesday to see a surgeon as they think i have nerve damage to my hand and elbow but thankfully nothing broken.
I am so p****d off with myself as i never leave headcollars on, and had only gone outside to my "sharps" tin to sensibly get rid of the needle so he wouldn't damage himself on it.
My god!! it really only takes a second, I dread to think what could have happened, I'm so stupid!!
Jo

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Ouch! Scary!! Hope your hand is OK. Sounds very, very painful!
frown.gif

GTs

Visit site
We have all done things like that and in hindsight we know it was wrong. I had a horse carry a gate around the parking lot with it (damaged 2 cars), after pulling back!!

[ QUOTE ]
got to go back to hospital on wednesday to see a surgeon as they think i have nerve damage to my hand and elbow but thankfully nothing broken.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would rather something broken and not have to see a surgeon.

beaconhorse

Visit site
oh hun don't feel so guilty, you had two potential dangers and dealt with them in order, there was nothing much else you could have done. Sounds like you are being overly punished with your poorly hand as it is. Hope it heals really fast so you can put all this behind you ((hugs))

lisan

pets.webshots.com
Well I hope you are ok and recover quickly! Poor William, bet he wondered what happened!

I have a headcollar that has velcro where the headpeice fastens, if they pull back or do anything, it just falls off! (It was leo's cos she used to do things like that all the time!)

Ferdinase514

Visit site
Is one of those freak things....

You could have taken his headcollar off straight away and given yourself a needlestick!

Doesn't sound like you were being careless so don't beat yourself up.

William sounds just like finn...that exactly the type of thing he would do.

Hope you feel better soon. XX

Sparklet

Visit site
I saw a horse get its headcollar hooked on a hook at the end of the bolt once. Five of us tried to hold her down to undo the buckle and she still managed to slice herself across the poll and down the sides of her head.

Frightened the living daylights of of me and I have never left a headcollar on a horse since - in the stable or field.

Saying that I could easily have done what you did - makes you think doesnt it. Thanks for the warning.
smile.gif

Claireg9

Visit site
Blimey, that was a freak thing to of happened!
Its not your fault, i often leave the headcollar on for ten minutes whilst i pop out the stable to grab something!
Just thank your lucky stars nothing worse happened.

I too would prefer broken bones, nerve and ligament damage can take longer to heal and may not heal properly... i hope yours does and its a quick recover! Poor you try to keep your chin up!
xx

Murphs_Mum

Visit site
Having seen this happen twice in the past year (just caught on a bolt not to the extent you experienced) I would now never leave a headcollar on in the stable - it's terrifying to see.

Hope you and horse are both okay. Sounds very painful x

Doreys_Mum

Visit site
On the other hand, I have watched horses tank off towards a garden full of yew trees WITHOUT headcollars, meaning I have to turn around, untie the headcollar, turn back and then try and catch up with the horse - garden is gated (some of the time...) but it has been jumped in the past reguardless...

So what do I do? Leave headcollars on and risk them getting stuck on a bolt? Or leave them off and lose valuable time should they escape?

You can't say what will be safe and what will be dangerous around horses. EVERYTHING is dangerous. I'm not going to change my pattern of leaving headcollars on just cos someone else got theirs stuck on a bolt because imo, it's more dangerous for my horses to be wondering around without headcollars should they escape.

For heaven's sakes, I know a woman who had her arm ripped out of it's socket leading a horse to the field... we gonna stop doing that as well?

airedale

Visit site
So glad you are OK - that was very nasty - and I did the same once - two ligaments in the fingers where they had been bent back too far and the thumb gone west but stayed for the horse before taking self off to hospital driving with one good hand ;-)

now horsey has earn't himself a nice little holiday from you riding him

Alibear

Visit site
eeek only horses us punish us so drastically thank god! Am glad to hear that you are both going tobe OK andI hope it's good news with the surgeons to.

One of lifes real freak accidents by the sound of things (the though of being hit by a flying steel door does not personally bear thinking about)

I'm a cheep leather headcoller person, they look smart and they snap when necessary.

Murphs_Mum

Visit site
I totally agree everything is dangerous - can completely understand some people being terrified of horses. I leave Murphy out in a leather headcollar. I take it off when I bring him in because he is a sod at itching on the door frame. If he got out he is in a gated yard and I don't think he'd try and jump. Most things are totally freak accidents and nothing you can so about it - I for one am not going to stop handling and riding my horse and I certainly don't follow the rule book!

S_N

Visit site
Bloody hell - how scarey must that have been! Sounds REALLY painfull hun! Please don't beat yourself up about it though, that could have happened to anyone, at anytime! I hope your injuries are not as bad as they think!

helenevans71

Visit site
Barking horse, don't beat yourself up - horses are the most Kamikaze creatures I know so you are not alone. Cases in point..... 1. Lady tied horse to door, horse pulled back, knocked lady out with door, broke her foot, horse's headcollar broke, horse OK lady in plaster for 3 months!
2. Girl tied horse to metal door, horse caught rope under the catch, lifted door off hinges, door fell on girl's face, horse ok rider not so pretty now. 3. Owner insisted on having heavyweight headcollar on filly in stable at all times as difficult to catch, filly caught headcollar on outside bolt, pulled back and snapped her neck. Very sad, but it happens! Simply nutty, do you want to get rid of some of your 7ft rugs?