Almost took a flying lesson.....

noodle_

Visit site
Annoyed dosent even come close....Appologies if this sounds like a repeat thread - its not as its now learnt to bronc........

Had the brown ones back/tack/teeth and vet checked in june (well vet was july)....then the stupid thing decided to try and commit suicide through a fence - but all was well, it lived and cost me another £100...so thanks for that :rolleyes:. Total vet bill in 2 months is going to be around £600 me thinks....

Anyhow that said - i do love the little sod to bits, until she tried to launch me tonight - she has been bucking for i guess 2 +? months or so now - only when im asking/have asked for canter - (hence all the checks before!) As well as the checks she has a new saddle (fitted by a master saddler) so hand on heart i know its not something ive done/not done however you want to see it....

She bucks when asking to canter, thats if she does even go into canter...! But then tonight after her spaz out buck when i asked i cracked her as i was loosing patience badly... then i asked again and i got a lovely head between knee bronc... which i think (thank god) her stupid bucks over the past few months have taught me to sit up and back and i sat it... nothing mega but im bothered now the bucks have turned into broncs.....

I only posted y'day/other day about her stupid bucking but now shes broncing im more bothered.....Someone suggested ; Sacroiliac Pain as a few symptoms describe her but it seems a bit extreme? She dosent (yet) buck when out on an open straight field which makes me think shes just being an absolute witch.... but she does put her ears flat back when i ask for a more forward trot and does not even want to go forward in trot and canter is just forget it unless you want to eat sand......

I really cannot afford to hit the deck so i was thinking about asking someone more experienced than me to get on her and see if shes the same with them - and if she is - what next???

If shes not the same with them then obviously she hates me....:rolleyes:

any help?

orionstar

Visit site
My youngster started to do this in March after starting canter work again after the bad winter. It turned out to be OCD in her hocks (also causing back pain for compensation) and she's just had the op today. I would agree with you about getting someone else to try her but if it continues ask your vet for another check.

noodle_

Visit site
Thanks for the reply :)

I had thought if i cant get anyone else on her - if i get hold of some bute off the vet and put her on that for a couple of weeks to see if that makes any difference.... if it did then we have problems.......?

be positive

Visit site
What does she do if you lunge her?If she is in pain it will often show on the lunge as they are constantly turning. If she is happy to canter on lunge I would use this for a while to establish transitions ,if she is uncomfortable I would definitely get a vet before going further.

aidybex

Visit site
My daughters pony has just turned 4 and when she was cantering him started to hump his back, buck or kick out. I tried everything and had everything checked. Discussed with many a pony club instructor and the general consensus was he was just being awkward........then a friend of mine tucked up the long ends of her stirrup leathers, that were through the keepers and as if by magic he stopped. He was just trying to tell us he didn't like the ends of the leathers touching his sides!! He only ever did it in canter and I was concerned because he was getting much worse as time when on. Thankfully all stopped now!!

Mince Pie

Visit site
Am I right in thinking this is a young horse? A lot of youngsters buck when asked to canter as a balance issue, they soon grow out of it.

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
Right not an expert, so feel free to take what I say with a pinch of salt, but I do ride 4-5 yr old who did this.

1) he used to buck going into canter anywhere, was totally a balance issue he felt awkward and you can only liken it to he felt he was going to fall flat on his face, so lots of ground work and he is now a non bucker in canter :)

2) I Really wouldn't smack your horse if you are suspicious its not naughtiness as if there is pain, having a spack is a bit mean

3) Our boy sometimes bucks after jumping a new big jump, we tend to ignore it as its excitement... but it has gota bit bad lately after he squared up to a large jump he wasn't asked to do, he was turned away and he had a complete tantrum, did the full on bronc, head between knees , straight back and ditched his rider, this was not acceptable,rider got back on and he had another tantrum, he did get a tap on his bum and was growled at, this really helped , the tapping on the bum does tend to make him worse for an instant,but its just a way of saying oi, wait a min listen to me, he doesn't get a belt.

4) hope some of this helped you!! haha xx

noodle_

Visit site
Thanks for the replies :)

DD - i agree its a bit mean smacking her but tbh i have tried the nicey nicey approach for a long time and its go me no-where...

I *think* shes just being evil (hence getting someone whos 100% balanced and brill riding on her)

but when im asking for canter, the ears go back and it just like "just f-off" which makes me think a little pain.....rather than being naughty?

she is sensitive when im asking her to move over etc - so mabey its her sides shes funny with - whether shes in season or not btw has no change.....

i will go with the good rider option and go from there - and if shes fine there then its obviously me and i need to forget canter until i can afford lessons again to get her going forward properly....

Its just been literally months now and i cant get her out doing dressage or even progress to jumping until the stupid thing will canter without trying to make my fly :D

Thanks again for the suggestions :)

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
Thanks for the replies :)

DD - i agree its a bit mean smacking her but tbh i have tried the nicey nicey approach for a long time and its go me no-where...

I *think* shes just being evil (hence getting someone whos 100% balanced and brill riding on her)

but when im asking for canter, the ears go back and it just like "just f-off" which makes me think a little pain.....rather than being naughty?

she is sensitive when im asking her to move over etc - so mabey its her sides shes funny with - whether shes in season or not btw has no change.....

i will go with the good rider option and go from there - and if shes fine there then its obviously me and i need to forget canter until i can afford lessons again to get her going forward properly....

Its just been literally months now and i cant get her out doing dressage or even progress to jumping until the stupid thing will canter without trying to make my fly :D

Thanks again for the suggestions :)

Oh yes I am not against a smack on the arse and a growl if they are being dangerous, I just meant if you're unsure if pain, smacking her would only make her worse, but you seem to get that anyway lol... if we aren't careful thetre will be a 300 page smacking thread on your page lol

Sounds like your plan is a gooden!! Let us know how shes goes ! xx

elsielouise

Visit site
Just wondering...

What is your surface like?

My mare really doesn't like deep surfaces and occasionally bucks if I'm working her in our school which in winter can have really boggy bits. It does tend to be only the transition though and only if I ask in a rubbish bit (we had a sand surface last winter and it was awful in places).

However, she did also do a buck the other day when the school was dry (now have rubber on sand surface so still deep in places) and tbh it was an awful transition and she 'fell into it' from a fairly rubbish trot. I shouldn't have asked her but made a bad decision to carry on so had to deal with the consequences. She didn't do it once I paid a bit more attention. She doesn't do it on a a hack eihter.

I got a bit worried she wasn't quite right though and since I am sooo lucky to share my grazing with an equine vet, on his advice took her in this morning to work her slowly and correctly to see if she did it and with a bit of concentration on my riding from me, she was as good as gold on both reins. For now I've decided it's not pain but I'll keep an eye on her. My friend said if she does develop a pattern of it then a full work up would need to be done since there are so many potential causes

Oh and go and do a few walk and trot tests if you want to get it out. No shame in that and I took my youngster to do loads when her canter was still unbalanced. Loads of adults doing them.

In your case, a young horse could just be reacting to unbalanced as you say - good luck in finding a solution.

noodle_

Visit site
Oh yes I am not against a smack on the arse and a growl if they are being dangerous, I just meant if you're unsure if pain, smacking her would only make her worse, but you seem to get that anyway lol... if we aren't careful thetre will be a 300 page smacking thread on your page lol

Sounds like your plan is a gooden!! Let us know how shes goes ! xx

haha oh yeah never thought of that (300 page) :D:D:D:D:D thanks for the heads up :D

Just wondering...

What is your surface like?

My mare really doesn't like deep surfaces and occasionally bucks if I'm working her in our school which in winter can have really boggy bits. It does tend to be only the transition though and only if I ask in a rubbish bit (we had a sand surface last winter and it was awful in places).

However, she did also do a buck the other day when the school was dry (now have rubber on sand surface so still deep in places) and tbh it was an awful transition and she 'fell into it' from a fairly rubbish trot. I shouldn't have asked her but made a bad decision to carry on so had to deal with the consequences. She didn't do it once I paid a bit more attention. She doesn't do it on a a hack eihter.

I got a bit worried she wasn't quite right though and since I am sooo lucky to share my grazing with an equine vet, on his advice took her in this morning to work her slowly and correctly to see if she did it and with a bit of concentration on my riding from me, she was as good as gold on both reins. For now I've decided it's not pain but I'll keep an eye on her. My friend said if she does develop a pattern of it then a full work up would need to be done since there are so many potential causes

Oh and go and do a few walk and trot tests if you want to get it out. No shame in that and I took my youngster to do loads when her canter was still unbalanced. Loads of adults doing them.

In your case, a young horse could just be reacting to unbalanced as you say - good luck in finding a solution.

I have done several walk/trot tests but this mare i eventually wanted to affilated dressage with! which she *could* do if she stopped flipping bucking :D

Our surface is wonderful - rubber/sand (we recently moved) its flat/very well maintained and the first day i lunged her on it she went beautifully.....

our old school (where the bucking originated) wasnt level as such - deep in some parts so that i could totally understand tbh........

The problem is like you said - there are so many potential causes - which im trying to eliminate.... i think the next sensible step is to get someone else on her to see if its just me....

if she does it with someone more experienced i would honestly think pain?.....then id be tempted to bute her for a couple of weeks and go from there....