Aloe vera for itching

Widgeon

Visit site
My cob gets itchy in the summer; not desperately bad by any means but when he's in he'll take the opportunity to have a really good bum / tail scratch on the wall. He also has a hole in his mane where I suspect (but I've never caught him at it) he is scratching himself with a back foot. This happened last summer too and we checked for pinworm (just in case), which he didn't have. The scratching isn't bad enough to worry the vet (she is very good and if she was worried about his welfare she'd have suggested something - we have discussed it), but I'd like to sort out the hole in his mane, and if I can stop the itching that would surely be nice for him.

Has anyone had any success with aloe vera gel or other soothing type things that I could try just rubbing on the affected bits?

[ETA - and if you have, I would welcome any suggestions of the cheapest source of a decent product!]

smolmaus

Visit site
All the ones I know of are for sweet itch, and none of them particularly cheap ?

I get the most out of a bottle of biteback sweet relief by spraying it on my hand and then rubbing it in so it gets to the skin and nothing is wasted. It does seem to work, no new chunks out of the mane in ages (touching every bit of wood within reach). I'm still only about halfway through my first 750ml bottle 3 months into midge season doing it this way.

I know the sanctuary use the Barrier Aloe Vera Soothing Gel, its £7 for a 250ml tub but I haven't used it personally so can't say how long that would last you. They also use Botanica soothing cream as they sometimes get discounts/freebies etc but I personally do not pay full price for Botanica products ?

Widgeon

Visit site
I get the most out of a bottle of biteback sweet relief by spraying it on my hand and then rubbing it in so it gets to the skin and nothing is wasted. It does seem to work, no new chunks out of the mane in ages (touching every bit of wood within reach). I'm still only about halfway through my first 750ml bottle 3 months into midge season doing it this way.

Thank you - I might give this a go, it looks like I can get a 1L refill bottle for about £20 and then I'd just do as you say and rub it in. I wouldn't rule out the possibility of him actually having very mild sweet itch so it would be interesting to see if it helps. I can see it's benzyl benzoate so I'll patch test it first.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I use gold label wonder gel it's similar to the botanica but much cheaper and one of mine is allergic to benzyl benzoate and as long as I apply it every day it stops them rubbing.

Pokitren

Visit site
My cob gets itchy in the summer; not desperately bad by any means but when he's in he'll take the opportunity to have a really good bum / tail scratch on the wall. He also has a hole in his mane where I suspect (but I've never caught him at it) he is scratching himself with a back foot. This happened last summer too and we checked for pinworm (just in case), which he didn't have. The scratching isn't bad enough to worry the vet (she is very good and if she was worried about his welfare she'd have suggested something - we have discussed it), but I'd like to sort out the hole in his mane, and if I can stop the itching that would surely be nice for him.

Has anyone had any success with aloe vera gel or other soothing type things that I could try just rubbing on the affected bits?

[ETA - and if you have, I would welcome any suggestions of the cheapest source of a decent product!]
Aloe vera constricts blood vessels, so it can help with itching. But sometimes it doesn't work. You have to try it.

Widgeon

Visit site
Aloe vera constricts blood vessels, so it can help with itching. But sometimes it doesn't work. You have to try it.

Thank, yes, I'm not expecting miracles from any particular product but based on other people's replies I'll try the biteback and the wonder gel first, as they seem to work for others and they're not too expensive.

Pokitren

Visit site
Thank, yes, I'm not expecting miracles from any particular product but based on other people's replies I'll try the biteback and the wonder gel first, as they seem to work for others and they're not too expensive.
Of course :) Sometimes itchy skin just needs to be washed with clean water - that helps, too.