Aloe Vera Juice for Ulcer horse

diamondrockharvey

Visit site
My horse is on week 3 of Abprazole. He has made massive improvements already although still not going as forward as I would like and still not very happy to pick up his back feet.
I am thinking of adding Aloe Vera Juice to his feed to continue on with after the treatment has finished. Does anyone else use this? How much should I feed per day?

He is currently fed Dengie Hi-Fi Molasses free with Protexin Gut Balancer and Equine America Magnitude. He is on restricted grazing and ad lib hay and 24/7 turnout.

I tried him on Equishure before the Aborazole as I was convinced hind gut acidosis but this did not seem to help that much so I haven't bought a second tub. He is already in much better condition after 2 weeks of Abprazole as he was looking quite tucked up and poor.

Any recommendations of products etc appreciated.

Thanks

asommerville

Visit site
I really recommend aloe Vera, got mine from holland and Barrett and just used to pour a bit into feeds, made a massive difference to my boy. I also found that feeding micronised linseed has really settled his tummy

diamondrockharvey

Visit site
Thank you both.
I was looking at buying the Equimins one which says 'Equimins Aloe Vera Juice A high quality blend of whole leaf and unfiltered inner gel Aloe Vera to provide maximum strength'
I guess if I order 1 litre for now and see how he goes and then order larger bottles after that? 1 litre should last about 10 days then?
I will take a look at micronised linseed too

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
Thank you both.
I was looking at buying the Equimins one which says 'Equimins Aloe Vera Juice A high quality blend of whole leaf and unfiltered inner gel Aloe Vera to provide maximum strength'
I guess if I order 1 litre for now and see how he goes and then order larger bottles after that? 1 litre should last about 10 days then?
I will take a look at micronised linseed too

I don't know the Equimins one, I use Forever Aloe which is 100% stabilised inner leaf gel. It's a bit more expensive, though.
The outer layers of aloe leaf have purging and irritating qualities, so bear that in mind.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I don't know the Equimins one, I use Forever Aloe which is 100% stabilised inner leaf gel. It's a bit more expensive, though.
The outer layers of aloe leaf have purging and irritating qualities, so bear that in mind.

Martlin, What sort of money does this work out at? Its something ive always considered trying for my horses but the Forever living reps are so pushy I hate to ask for info incase its wildly expensive!

martlin

Martlin, What sort of money does this work out at? Its something ive always considered trying for my horses but the Forever living reps are so pushy I hate to ask for info incase its wildly expensive!
LOL, I am a distributor :p

The gel costs £20.80 per litre, I use 2 bottles a month per horse, either of plain gel or Forever Freedom, which is also a joint/mobility supplement.

martlin

Haha! sorry, Ok the two local to me are pushy! Im sure your lovely and thank you for the information ;)
No problem :)
I can be pushy when I need to, it generally doesn't extend to Aloe, though :D

I find that if you pester people, you just get them angry, I have an on line shop and people can buy stuff from it, or not, it's not that I'm not bothered, more that I'm all for free choice ;)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I use Holland & Barrett's AV juice, or similar from a local Health Food shop. The Draft mare has about !00ml daily. If I ran out in the first few months, her symptoms would return in less than 48 hrs. I had no formal diagnosis for her but her symptoms screamed ulcers when I first got her.

diamondrockharvey

Visit site
I use Holland & Barrett's AV juice, or similar from a local Health Food shop. The Draft mare has about !00ml daily. If I ran out in the first few months, her symptoms would return in less than 48 hrs. I had no formal diagnosis for her but her symptoms screamed ulcers when I first got her.
That's good to hear, thank you.
I am hoping Aloe Vera is just the thing we need now. I will check out the health food store in town and see what the prices are like. My pony is a 14.3hh Welsh Sec D. I think I might start him on about 60ml and see how we get on. That way I should be able to make 2 litres last a month.

sem9999

Visit site
Not sure how directly beneficial for ulcer AV juice might be, but it is very good stuff in general. Alternately you could also use Barrier Aloe Vera juice, this works out quite economic at around £45 for a 5 litre bottle.

fairyclare

Visit site
I am just putting my 2 onto Aloeride www.aloeride.co.uk
My 21yr old has had a funny turn, vet is baffled but I have 'treated' her as if she had ulcers - no diagnosis but thought there was no harm in feeding her it. Well, she has been on aloe vera juice and coligone for 5 days, symptoms have completely gone and I have my normal horse back!

The aloeride do a 12 month subscription, a box a month for around £44
I have been using holland and barrett aloe vera juice, but at £11.99 and a bottle lasting 3 days, its working out quite pricey!

The Hobster

Visit site
I've used aloe-ride and can recommend, it's easy to use being powder in sachets. I used to be a Forever distributor but the juice has a disgusting taste and my boy wouldn't take it! apart from it being very expensive too. I actually found the Barrier AV juice had better results on our other horse.