Also in Breeding , can you look at my mares lady bits

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
bought my mare in February and she was underweight, poor, dirty beyond belief! 6 yrs old and had 3 pregnancies, am sure her vulva didn't look like this, am new to mares, is this an in season vulva, or could she be pregnant again?

supaspot

Visit site
the size of each mares vulva will vary , you should know whats normal for each horse , if hers looks differently than it normally does Id have to ask is there any chance she could be pregnant now? does she have signs of bagging up ?

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
her udders are well formed compared to the other mares, but again shes nursed in the past..... she was very thin 2 mths ago and now looking nice, rounded, but you can't see her belly from behind, shes a lovely weight! No bags, just well formed udders. I am sure I said she looked really tight and small behind when I got her.

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
ps have messaged her previous owners, so far they haven't been overly honest with me, so who knows!! Poor mare was standing on her own tail and underweight when we had her.

supaspot

Visit site
vulvas relax and elongate in preparation for birth , it wouldnt be the first time a mare has produced a surprise foal :)

mynutmeg

Visit site
I would have her checked for sure - there's no creases at all in that vulva.

If she's underweight it's possible the foal is quite small so wouldn't show as much as a bigger foal. She may not bag up until right before the foal comes or just after - depends on the mare.

It won't cost much to have her vet assessed and is really important for you to know.

Good luck:D

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
I have the vet coming out to do her 2 nd vaccine anyway so not worried about cost, she was sedated a few weeks ago for her teeth by the vet, hope that hasn't caused her any problems, so you don't get the impression it's an in season backend ? Only other thing we have noticed is she will snooze given half a chance, like we took her hunting and when it got boring she snoozed, beach last Sunday and the min we tied her back up to the trailer in a busy car park she snoozed...... Obviously it hadn't occurred to us then... Will enclose a pic of how poor she was 2 myths ago to how she is now x

HBM1

Visit site
You didn't say if she was squirting? I wouldn't worry about her snoozing, a lot of horses can switch off just about anywhere - she doesn't look pregnant (to me anyway) in that photo. Not as pregnant as she would if she was about to drop and slacken off her vulva anyway, who knows if she is in early stages.
Edited to add, she looks a hell of a lot more loved and cared for in the second photo, it's lovely she has an owner like you now.

Alexart

Visit site
It does look a little slacker than most, I wouldn't go too much on looks as to wether a mare is in foal or not, I've had mares carry the foal really high up and you would never know the mare was only days away from foaling as she would have no belly at all and very rarely did we see wriggling!!:) Your vet will be able to do a quick rectal and check wether there is anyone at home!!:p

micki

Visit site
If she was in season she would be squirting..is she?

Not all mares will squirt. My old girl never squirts when she is in season. The only way i know when she has a season is because her bed is wetter than normal and her backlegs get a little mucky.

HBM1

Visit site
Not all mares will squirt. My old girl never squirts when she is in season. The only way i know when she has a season is because her bed is wetter than normal and her backlegs get a little mucky.

Mine must all be quite overt and tarty then as they all do - just goes to show, all are different. Will be good to see what the vet says, there seem to be a lot of unexpected foals around.

mynutmeg

Visit site

mines the same - never know she's in season, made timing for going to the stud interesting :rolleyes:

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
Definately no squirting, she is a lady!! lol seriously tho, nothing to report other than when she came to us in Feb she looked like she had been superglued shut, I literally made a joke of it ... how shes elongated and slack looking and even a little open at the bottom. My gelding looks more pregnant that she does, having said that we are short on grass, so having hay to substitute and shes definately looking rounded suddenly, 4 of us have stood and watched her tummy today and she is fidgety, but nothing much to see.... her udders are bigger than the other mares ( but shes had foals previously) and definately no sack there... think I am just being paranoid!

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
You didn't say if she was squirting? I wouldn't worry about her snoozing, a lot of horses can switch off just about anywhere - she doesn't look pregnant (to me anyway) in that photo. Not as pregnant as she would if she was about to drop and slacken off her vulva anyway, who knows if she is in early stages.
Edited to add, she looks a hell of a lot more loved and cared for in the second photo, it's lovely she has an owner like you now.

Thank you for the kind words, she is a cracking pony, so sensitive and sweet, and a lovely forward going ride, can't believe how anyone could have let such a clean pony who refuses to get dirty so filthy that even 2 warm showers didn't shift it! Sad shes only rising 6 and had 3 pregnancies already! Some people!

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
Husband took her hunting last sat, considering shes only 14hh and hes 6 foot 2, he looked surprisingly good on her, shes got alot about her :) she was rather tucked up this day ( so only a week ago)