Alternative for a gag thats dressage legal

Chestersmummy

Visit site
I currently ride the ginger ninja in a dutch gag with a straight mouth, but when I move him to the new yard I'm hoping to do dressage as theres lots of competitions up there.
The problem is when I ride in a snaffle, I have no control, he resists the contact and generally is unhappy in it.
The other alternative would be a hanging cheek snaffle but I seem to be struggling to get a straight bar one as I think it the nutcracker action that he doesn't like.
Is there anything else that I could try that will give me some brakes, control and thats dressage legal.
Oh and his gag is a happy mouth too.

ThePony

Visit site
What sort of mouth confo does your horse have? When you say you struggle to stop - how exactly? Does he set his neck against you, lean on the bit, stick his head up etc?

Booboos

Visit site
Might be best to try different bits via a bit bank (where you can try them for a small fee and return them if not suitable). If it's the joint of the snaffle he doesn't like maybe a Myler? There are two numbers that are BD legal (32 and something else?) but it will say on their site.

BTW if you look at the BD rule book I don't think you are allowed a straight bar drop:
http://www.britishdressage.net/Rule Book/Rule Book 2012 FINAL Print Copy 23rd Sept.pdf

Although it is complicated and perhaps I am confused!

Jesstickle

Visit site
Doubt you'd have more brakes in a hanging cheek snaffle than in any other kind. They don't really apply much poll pressure due to the fact the rein is free to move. Certainly not as much as a dutch gag anyway.

Booboos I think the other is the 02 mouth piece. Have been looking at Mylers just this week.

Infact specifically at the hanging cheek, but not because I have no brakes. If anyone wants to sell one PM me :p :)

ETS: sorry, that was in no way helpful. I am trying to think now of what you could use.

Last edited:

scarymare

Visit site
If you ride in a gag (like me) then a hanging cheek is the last thing you need as you require head bringing up not down. My instructor suggested the Neue Slue Verdibend (sp) which has so far proved such a success I am thinking about jumping in it:):)

brigantia

Visit site
You might want to check out the Sustainable Dressage website for descriptions of how various dressage legal bits work.

http://www.sustainabledressage.net/

You shouldn't need to use a gag bit when doing flatwork in the arena. If you really have no brakes in flatwork, then I'd second the reccomendation to get a trainer.

Hunting, show jumping, and cross country may be quite different, but in flat work you should be able to stop in a snaffle.

My horse came to me in a three ring Dutch gag. The first thing my trainer did was make me throw it away! I've never used it since. My horse goes fine in a drop cheek snaffle. I never needed to bit up again.

Annagain

Visit site
I had to find a hanging cheek straight bar as well due to my boy's mouth conformation - huge tongue and lips which meant he was very uncomfortable in a jointed bit and any other bit rings would rub his lips. The only one I found other than a happy mouth (after seeing one snap in a friend's horse's mouth half way round an xc course, I won't use them) was the Myler Mullen mouth hanging cheek. Expensive, but the only dressage legal bit I could find that he was comfortable in. That was about 6 years ago so there may be cheaper alternatives now. Good luck.

Annagain

Visit site
Might be best to try different bits via a bit bank (where you can try them for a small fee and return them if not suitable). If it's the joint of the snaffle he doesn't like maybe a Myler? There are two numbers that are BD legal (32 and something else?) but it will say on their site.

BTW if you look at the BD rule book I don't think you are allowed a straight bar drop:
http://www.britishdressage.net/Rule Book/Rule Book 2012 FINAL Print Copy 23rd Sept.pdf

Although it is complicated and perhaps I am confused!

Boobos - although there's no diagram of one, it says afterwards:

"Only the bits that are illustrated are permitted, mouthpieces may be used with any of the cheeks or rings illustrated"

So you can use any combination of the mouthpieces and cheekpieces illustrated. My mullen mouth (ok so not entirely straight, but not jointed) was sold to me by the bitbank as being dressage legal and I've not had any problems with it at competitions.

brigantia

Visit site
Which says what I said already about hanging cheeks. No poll pressure! Thanks brigantia, that's a really interesting site and will keep me amused until the end of work

Glad you enjoyed it! I really love that website.

Booboos

Visit site
Boobos - although there's no diagram of one, it says afterwards:

"Only the bits that are illustrated are permitted, mouthpieces may be used with any of the cheeks or rings illustrated"

So you can use any combination of the mouthpieces and cheekpieces illustrated. My mullen mouth (ok so not entirely straight, but not jointed) was sold to me by the bitbank as being dressage legal and I've not had any problems with it at competitions.

Ah I see thanks! I do find it quite confusing but I know BD will tell you about an exact bit if you e-mail them a photo, so OP can always ask direct if in doubt.

Chestersmummy

Visit site
Thanks!
When I move him at the end of the month I will be having a lot of flatwork lessons with him as we've a lot to sort out!
I think his main problem is the nutcracker action as as soon as any pressure is put on the mouth, even just a small half halt, his head suddenly shoots up in the air. I thought it was maybe his teeth, so had them checked and that was all fine so the only thing I can think of is the action.

Booboos

Visit site
I think his main problem is the nutcracker action as as soon as any pressure is put on the mouth, even just a small half halt, his head suddenly shoots up in the air. I thought it was maybe his teeth, so had them checked and that was all fine so the only thing I can think of is the action.

It may be that he has a small mouth, or large tongue, or a pallet that is sensitive to the nutcracker action. In all of those cases he might like the Myler but another possibility is the Demi-Anky.

Queenbee

Visit site
I love a loose ring french link/training bit with lozenge with a copper mix (I believe this is now dressage legal) my mare used to be in a gag and I switched to this, because it is loose ring she can't lean I seem to have plenty of stopping and schooling power with it, she backs off nicely, mouths, and goes into a lovely outline because it encourages her to carry herself and not lean on me :rolleyes: Its pretty much my wonder bit for all nowadays :D kind and effective :D

Chestersmummy

Visit site
It may be that he has a small mouth, or large tongue, or a pallet that is sensitive to the nutcracker action. In all of those cases he might like the Myler but another possibility is the Demi-Anky.

He has got a small mouth. Well i think he has anyway. I'm going to ask my friend if I can try him in her french link to see if thats any better.