Alternative to ertugliflozin? (Discontinued in Australia)

KEK

Visit site
Does anyone happen to know if there are any alternatives to ertugliflozin? Unfortunately it’s been discontinued in Australia :(
TIA

JenJ

Visit site
Can you get canagliflozin (Invokana) or has that been discontinued too?

As far as I know the two are pretty much interchangable - my vet said she prescribes whichever is cheapest at the time!

Reactions: KEK

KEK

Visit site
Can you get canagliflozin (Invokana) or has that been discontinued too?

As far as I know the two are pretty much interchangable - my vet said she prescribes whichever is cheapest at the time!
Just checked apparently that is also discontinued here :( thanks for your reply.

JenJ

Visit site
Do you know why they have been discontinued? By all accounts they are wonder drugs (for equines at least!) so I'm curious if there were any concerns about potential side effects etc?

My sec A was on half a pill a day for 4 weeks and her insulin went from 174 to 9.

JenJ

Visit site
As an aside it's only really suitable for short term use in equines, 1-2 months really.

The equine use is still too 'new' to be confident of no adverse longer term effects. Metformin is used long-term, but many vets seem to be sceptical of its effectiveness.

KEK

Visit site
I am guessing there were side effects in people. I used it for my pony briefly and it worked well but he did get a UTI.

winnie

Visit site
I am very interested to hear why it has been discontinued in Australia and also what side effects/downsides any of you have experienced. My pony has just started on Ertigluflozin and I'm in 2 minds as to whether it is a good idea. She was rather overweight and came down with Laminitis 2 1/2 years ago, caught very early and came right quickly. But it started me testing her bloods and her insulin has remained at 100 ever since. She has lost weight, is exercised daily and has been looking and feeling good ever since. New vet has put her on a course of the drug.

Northern

Visit site
KEK, it's just the Steglatro tablets that have been discontinued. I haven't been able to figure out exactly why, but possibly for "business reasons" which to me might mean the drug wasn't utilised enough to make it worth producing for the market. It has only recently been used off-label in horses, so there isn't really a veterinary market for it here yet until it is approved for use specifically in equines.

Murdoch University are conducting a study on Ertigluflozin responses in horses, if you PM me your email address I can forward you on the survey link. Hopefully the results will prompt more research into the use of the drug in the veterinary industry. Our local compounding chemist managed to get 3 years supply in for our clients, so your options are to pursue this in your state or order the paste from Bova AUS. This comes in 30ml syringes and the dose is 1ml a day. I have just checked and it is still available to order so is probably your best bet.

Only alternative I know of at the moment are metformin tablets, but it doesn't seem to be very effective in some horses.

• Love

KEK

Visit site
KEK, it's just the Steglatro tablets that have been discontinued. I haven't been able to figure out exactly why, but possibly for "business reasons" which to me might mean the drug wasn't utilised enough to make it worth producing for the market. It has only recently been used off-label in horses, so there isn't really a veterinary market for it here yet until it is approved for use specifically in equines.

Murdoch University are conducting a study on Ertigluflozin responses in horses, if you PM me your email address I can forward you on the survey link. Hopefully the results will prompt more research into the use of the drug in the veterinary industry. Our local compounding chemist managed to get 3 years supply in for our clients, so your options are to pursue this in your state or order the paste from Bova AUS. This comes in 30ml syringes and the dose is 1ml a day. I have just checked and it is still available to order so is probably your best bet.

Only alternative I know of at the moment are metformin tablets, but it doesn't seem to be very effective in some horses.
Thanks very much! I rang my compounding chemist and they said they could not make it (and they do a lot of animal drugs). Might have to be through Bova- I thought this was $50/day but I might have miss-looked. Have PMd and thanks! 😊

Widgeon

Visit site
might mean the drug wasn't utilised enough to make it worth producing for the market.

This was my understanding.

OP, try joining this group - I find the setup of it incredibly confusing so I tend to just keep an eye on threads and discussions, but there's a quite a lot on there from Australian owners of EMS horses discussing alternative options.

• Love

KEK

Visit site
This was my understanding.

OP, try joining this group - I find the setup of it incredibly confusing so I tend to just keep an eye on threads and discussions, but there's a quite a lot on there from Australian owners of EMS horses discussing alternative options.

Thanks! Have joined (I think) the FB equivalent will check this out too.

KEK

Visit site
Well according to my MIL it was taken off the market as it was being used as a wonder weight loss drug.. no idea if this is true.

BronsonNutter

Visit site
Well according to my MIL it was taken off the market as it was being used as a wonder weight loss drug.. no idea if this is true.

I can imagine this being possible!

If both canaglaflozin and ertugliflozin have been removed from the human market in Aus then the BOVA paste is probably your best bet. Over here (UK) it does work out more expensive than the human meds but not wildly so

JenJ

Visit site
Oof! I guess it makes sense though, following on from Saxenda(Skinnyjab)/Ozempic being 'repurposed', as it's another medication to help type 2 diabetics.

KEK

Visit site
I can imagine this being possible!

If both canaglaflozin and ertugliflozin have been removed from the human market in Aus then the BOVA paste is probably your best bet. Over here (UK) it does work out more expensive than the human meds but not wildly so
Yep ordered through bova, thanks. Suspect he already has a UTI, so hope he doesn't have to be on it long.