Alternative to fly masks ? What about this ...

Spangles

Visit site
As title says, any other options please ?
Mare will not keep her halo fly mask on and deposits it in the field every night. I don't like the lycra hoods as she rubs her face a lot on her knees and I would worry the mask would twist round etc.

Has anyone used a fly fringe like this ? Just thinking it'f be less intrusive and she might accept it more. I appreciate this style doesn't offer as much protection as a full face mask but I really don't think there is much point in persevering with the traditional type.
Thought on this style greatly appreciated. I like the fact this one has net ears too for that little extra protection.
https://www.horze.co.uk/fly-masks-fringes/pfiff-fly-fringe-with-ear-net/323505.html#color=BL

Lois Lame

Visit site
I like the look of that. I think I'd prefer it without the ear cover though as I've never seen ears affected by flies.

It does look a little low over the eyes though. I'd be fussing around trying to get it how I liked it and I'm not sure I'd manage it.

And one more thing, nylon stuff worries me because if it gets caught up, it won't want to break.

I like this one better...
https://www.horze.co.uk/fly-masks-fringes/horze-simple-fly-fringe--veil/22837.html#color=BL
but again, it's made of polyester.

(I'm doing lots of ETA here.) Well, polypropylene, but that is presumably very hard to break too.

Last edited:

IngramsRoughDiamond

Visit site
You've 'never seen ears affected by flies' you don't need to see it, every horse will have flies bothering their ears, it's just what happens! Op a horse on my yard has one of those, she gets limited turnout for various reasons, the fly bonnet is never still on when she comes in.

Shay

Visit site
I use fringes similar to this - but without the ear section. I find Lincoln green oil protects the ears. I won't use traditional style fly masks since coblet dragged his across his eye resulting in a deep corneal scrath that took months to heal. Having seen that I won't take the risk anymore. These fringes are the next best thing. Yes the horses do get them off from time to time. But they are cheap and there is nothing to damage the eye as it comes off. I buy really bright coloured ones so I have an outside chnace of finding them in the feild. But in fairness after the first one or two the horses stopped bothering. They don't seem to get as hot in them - for obvious reasons - so I suspect they are not as uncomfortable.

teddypops

Visit site
I like the look of that. I think I'd prefer it without the ear cover though as I've never seen ears affected by flies.

It does look a little low over the eyes though. I'd be fussing around trying to get it how I liked it and I'm not sure I'd manage it.

And one more thing, nylon stuff worries me because if it gets caught up, it won't want to break.

https://www.horze.co.uk/fly-masks-fringes/horze-simple-fly-fringe--veil/22837.html#color=BL

(I'm doing lots of ETA here.) Well, polypropylene, but that is presumably very hard to break too.
really? Mine get driven mental by flies in their ears. Especially black flies which irritate them to the point of drawing blood.

Pinkvboots

Visit site

Flies do bother there ears especially the small bitey ones, my horse had an infected ear a few months back from fly bites.

GoldenWillow

Visit site
I've used ones like this but more a browband with the fringe, they came out years ago before fly masks were available. They do seem to lose their fringe bits easily so no need to worry about them getting caught in things but need replaced.

Pippity

Visit site
really? Mine get driven mental by flies in their ears. Especially black flies which irritate them to the point of drawing blood.

Same. Last summer, my horse's ears were horribly scabby inside, until I found a mask that a) was big enough for her enormous ears, and b) she was willing to keep on. (She still takes it off the first few days she's turned out in it, but then she starts leaving it on.)

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I've used ones like this but more a browband with the fringe, they came out years ago before fly masks were available. They do seem to lose their fringe bits easily so no need to worry about them getting caught in things but need replaced.

I used a brwoband one years ago pre fly masks when my pony's eyes got affected by flies and it worked really well for that and never came off. I tried one similar to the Horze one more recently and my horse got it off in seconds. He was quite good at getting fly masks off too but at least kept those on most of the time.

cowgirl16

Visit site
I have got through a lot of these. My boy doesn't like the full masks - he gets hot and itchy. The most annoying part about these is the tassels come off so easily. He doesn't get the whole thing off - just manages to pull the tassels out. I've just bought another 2 - (QHL make?) can't remember. Only cheap - £6.50 each. The tassels only seem to be glued in and fall out for a pass time! If somebody who was good with a sewing machine could invent a sturdy one, with a break off point like a field safe headcollar, I think they would make a killing! I put a new one on him last night (with ears this time), so will find out how many tassels are left in it this pm!

wiglet

Visit site
I used to have one for my TB mare. I got it on her once... she hated it and after that, if she saw me approaching with it, she wouldn't be caught :D:p

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
There are plenty of photos around the Intarwebs of dogs wearing Aussie cork hats.
b881194783z1_20180126092259_000g4lv1gn92-0-8a6l20xs3onhntbynp2_fct2256x1692_t1880.jpg

I wonder if a horse could learn to wear one?

L&M

Visit site
I know you are 'anti' the lycra masks but we swear by the premier equine ones - one of ours is a serial fly mask remover/destroyer and after going through 3 other makes in quick sucession, now has the PE one - it has never moved, let alone come off.

i have had similar to your link and am afraid it only lasted a few days......

Rockman

Visit site
My boy kept on pulling his mask off, my solution has been a mask with no ears and rubbing some vicks vapour rub in his ears. He used to come in with his ears full of flies but now there aren't any and absolutely no bites either and he keeps his mask on!

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
I have two fly fringes very similar to that - and mine shake them off and/or wear them like beards in lightning time. And tightening the strap seems a bit like garotting them...I'm also not a fan of headcollars in the field.

They do like the Shires fly masks though.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I’ve got a Cashel full face fly mask, there’s a double closure of velcro which even my escape artist (can remove a muzzle in 15 seconds) can’t get off, even overnight. It’s also got uv protection for his stupid pink nose.

Spangles

Visit site
I have two fly fringes very similar to that - and mine shake them off and/or wear them like beards in lightning time. And tightening the strap seems a bit like garotting them...I'm also not a fan of headcollars in the field.

They do like the Shires fly masks though.

" Wear them like a beard " ..... love this !!!

Equi

Visit site
A years ago I had a pink one of these and a brand new pink fieldsafe halter for my ginger gelding. He didn’t agree It suited him and I never saw it again Which is very bizarre considering the field is not that big and I’ve been round it at least 7108373 times since. Maybe the neighbour couldn’t tolerate it lol

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
I was making these 20 odd years ago for a local riding school and the liveries who were there. One of the ladies asked me one day if I'd make one , I used chap suede and it seemed to work well, the weight in the suede meant it didn't blow up in the wnd and stayed in place. It was tough too and lasted a couple of seasons if cared for.They used to spray them with fly repellent too which stayed on the suede a long time. They were simple to make although now I would imagine quite expensive as all our hides have gone up in price. It was a lady who used to have them out in Australia and brought the idea to Surrey with her who showed me how to make them. I made and sold loads.
Mine had no net on them though and the fringe was right down past the nose to keep the flies off that area when their heads were down grazing, the owners trimmed the tassels to the right length as needed, worked well. I am not a fan of nets round ears, seen horse with flies trapped in the net and nearly drove them mad. There's enough hairs in horse's ears to stop the flies entering and shaking their head dislodges the rest.

Last edited:

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I've used similar ones with and without ears for years. Also used them for riding in. I don't use the fly masks because I've known several horses that had eye injuries from flies getting in or thorns getting caught on the mesh.