Alternative to royal canin?

SecretAgentBilly

Visit site
So we've been feeding our dog royal canin for the past couple of years of so, however after seeing a post on here I researched it a bit more and found it wasn't a great option. Basically I'm looking for an alternative, she is a 9 year old jrt. Does anyone have any recommendations (preferably dry food) or ideas on where to look? Thanks.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Top food if I fed dry would be either Orijen or Acana. Look at the Dry Dog Food index a mate posted in the stickies at the top of this board. She used a green for good, Amber for ok, red for sweet Jesus no. It's helpful to look at the American websites for the breakdown of food as they declare the carcinogenics like BHA, BHT. English sites don't.

Colouredwelsh

Visit site
We've fed RC for years. We are in the RC breeders club and I will continue to raise any puppies we have on it, we've never had a problem weaning and have weaned straight onto it successfully, we've also hand reared with their milk powder successfully.

I now however feed my older dogs who are not in the showring skinners field & trial maintenance. They do really well on it and it's a third of the price of RC.

druid

Visit site
If you're on a bit of a budget zooplus online do a very good food comparable to acana and orijen called Pruizon. It's an own brand but gets the same rating as acana on the dog food review site. Petsathome have an own brand which is similar called Evolution Naturally which also gets a high rating.

I was comparing prices recently...heres the list (priced on zooplus or in store for the evolution food)

Evolution Naturally is currently on sale for £29 for 7kg. (4.14/kg)
Purizon is on sale for £39.90 for 13.5kg (£2.96/kg)
Acana is £32.90 for 6.8kg (4.84/kg)
Orijen is £36.90 for 6.8kg (5.43/kg)

Other grain free options to look at are Simpsons 80/20 premium, Taste of the Wild and Eden.