Alternative to wormers

Kimberley_bhs

Visit site
Long round about story but my mare is allergic to wormers... When wormed she colics tried many different brands alongside my vet.

I poo pick every day..
worm count...
and blood test for tape ect... Every 3 months..

Thankfully she's is wormless but incase something does appear can anyone recommend a herbal or alternative wormer.

Have used verm-x which so far over the past year her worm counts b-tests have been wormless.

Recommendations and experiences

meandmyself

Visit site
I find it really hard to believe that your girl is allergic to the many and varied types of wormers. What happens when you give her a dose? Have you tried giving them in different forms- granules or liquid rather than the paste?

Kimberley_bhs

Visit site
I find it really hard to believe that your girl is allergic to the many and varied types of wormers. What happens when you give her a dose? Have you tried giving them in different forms- granules or liquid rather than the paste?

Yes tried multiple brands types powder but after you see your horse colic for the umpteen time and come very close to loosing her you kinda give up on trying another type as it could be the wormer to far.

deb_l222

Visit site
I can't offer any alternatives to 'standard' wormers but I can sympathise with your colic concerns.

I lost my mare to colic a few months ago - she was wormed the week before. While the vet was treating her that fateful day we realised the last time she colicked was 3 months previously, just after worming!!

Now it's fair to say, nothing is conclusive and my mare had been wormed before, without incident, but even the vet said it was a massive coincidence.

Kimberley_bhs

Visit site
I can't offer any alternatives to 'standard' wormers but I can sympathise with your colic concerns.

I lost my mare to colic a few months ago - she was wormed the week before. While the vet was treating her that fateful day we realised the last time she colicked was 3 months previously, just after worming!!

Now it's fair to say, nothing is conclusive and my mare had been wormed before, without incident, but even the vet said it was a massive coincidence.

My heart and hugs go out to you.

xxxxxx

horses stressful creatures

my mare starts to colic after 48hours of worming... First we thought it was coincidence but after a large vet bill and several sleepless night to a equest paramox ( no fAult of the wormer or equest). Just won't risk it. Even the vet has said it's the over sensitivity of her tummy coursing the colic.

So trying to fight the herbal worm war!!

deb_l222

Visit site
Totally off the wall suggestion for you and anyone can feel free to shoot me down in flames but.......

After I lost Lucy, I finally wised up to worming and now have my lad worm counted, which has always been clear so he isn't wormed now (just yearly). What he does have though is the Dectomax injection for mites as he's a very hairy, itchy beast!!

The active ingredient in Dectomax is Ivermectin, which is found is a lot of wormers. The difference is they don't have to ingest it as it's given by injection into the muscle.

I have absolutely no idea if this may be a less invasive solution? Like I say, I'm far from an expert but your vet may be able to advise.

littleshetland

Visit site
Now don't hang me out to dry on this one, but, back in the day (1970's) an old nags man recommended 1/2 ounce (25grams ?) of Golden virginia hand rolling tobacco fed to the horse at worming times works a treat....apparently!

Fazzie

Visit site
Little Shetland I've heard that before too! And the other one was about 1 & 1/2 Inches of garlic paste in a piece of bread.

ribbons

Visit site
Don't know about rolling tobacco but the old cowboys used to give their horses the chewing tobacco after they'd finished with it supposedly to kill worms.

littleshetland

Visit site
It's the nicotine that acts as quite a powerful insecticide. I know that water that's had fag ends floating in it for a few days will kill off aphids and unwanted bugs and parasites on your garden plants if you spray it on, so I suppose it will act against internal parasites as well.
I guess if you fed an equine a small amount from time to time it may well clobber a few worms....!