Alternatives to a Dales Pony

southerncomfort

Visit site
I've wanted a Dales pony since I was a girl. Where other girls had posters of Duran Duran on their bedroom walls, my walls were covered with pictures of Dales ponies cantering across a field with mane and tail wafting behind them!

Life being what it is this year, I decided Life Is Short, Buy The Dales Pony. However, it is not that simple. For starters they are like hens teeth. And the rare adults I have seen have almost all been produced for the show ring and come with an eye watering price tag. I would love a baby, and their are a fair few for sale now, but it wouldn't work. My two ladies are 14 and 20. Not suitable companions for a baby.

So I'm not sure what to do. Historically I accidentally kept buying welsh chestnut mares (had 3 of them), but having lost my favourite welsh chestnut mare (and in my opinion, the best horse who ever lived) last year I don't think I could have another in all honesty. And much as I love the welshies, this might be my last pony and I'd quite like something easy this time!

So here is my list of must haves. If I can't have a Dales Pony, what will do the job for me?

Must be super safe hacking both alone and in company.
Must be excellent in traffic, particularly farm machinery, pickups towing rattly trailers, kamikaze cyclists etc
Must not be scared of sheep or cattle as we are surrounded by them.
Must be a good doer to live out with my two girls.

Other than that I'm completely open minded. Basically I want something easy just to have fun on.

(I'm going to end up with another welsh chestnut mare aren't I?)

southerncomfort

Visit site
You could go for a Fell pony or a Highland pony depending on what your height requirements are.

It also depends where you are in the country as to what the price tags would be.

I'm a short@rse so anything between 13.2 and 14.2hh. Not sure budget will stretch to a Highland. Probably £2500 - £3000 but im still saving so could potentially wait until later in the year until budget has grown.

I'm in West Yorkshire.

PSD

Visit site
There are so many fells around! It just depends on what you want I guess. Age is a big factor, I’ve just purchased my first and she is 2, super excited about her. If you’re after a youngster there are tonnes on the market

southerncomfort

Visit site
There are so many fells around! It just depends on what you want I guess. Age is a big factor, I’ve just purchased my first and she is 2, super excited about her. If you’re after a youngster there are tonnes on the market

I'd love a youngster (would love to see pics of yours). I'm just worried that my current herd isn't suitable for a youngster.

Reactions: PSD

RHM

Visit site
The fell pony sales are a great day out if nothing more!! Seen as you are in West Yorkshire there is a breeder over in Rochdale who might have some young stock.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I went from a Fell to an anglo arab.

Although I still very much like the large british native types, that anglo was so amazing that after my spinal injury (not related to the AA) I bought another amazing AA before getting into the purebred arabs. I think if you want a good hacking horse, you can't beat an arab or high % PBA. They are definitely good doers and live out no trouble. They should also be an easy step down from a Welsh without being too dull for you. :p

Some of your criteria will vary individual to individual of any breed depending on how they've been brought up, trained and what they have been exposed to. In your situation I'd look at horses that have done a bit of endurance. They should have been exposed to a variety of things and do the job you want whatever breed they are (but definitely look at the arab ones :D).