Alternatives to Flexible Filly muzzle ::sigh::

daydreamer

Visit site
hi,

last year after much tinkering I managed to keep my youngster in a Flexible Filly muzzle. Sadly near the end of the summer he worked out he could shuffle his nose, stand on it, fling his head up and break it.

I tried it again this morning with slightly different ties and he went straight to pawing at it and breaking it off. I daren't use stronger ties to attach it because I'm worried about him getting his foot stuck in it/ he'll just end up breaking it anyway.

I picked that muzzle last year because he is out 24/7 and it seemed the kindest. Can anyone suggest any alternatives that might work? He doesn't need to be super restricted and I think if he is too restricted that will just make him more determined to get it off (and he is very clever!)

Thanks

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
from a getting it off point of view a dinky? as nothing solid to stand on and yank and they fit closer than any of the bucket versions (they can eat through them though)

palo1

Visit site
I have an Ultimate muzzle which has managed to resist being scraped off or removed by the teeth of madam's friends. She really doesn't mind having it on either which is helpful. They look similar to other muzzles but sit quite differently on the horse's head and are excellent quality. I liked the flexible fillies one till it broke - v expensive!! My ultimate muzzle is excellent and I would buy another.

Highmileagecob

Visit site
Tough 1 Easy Breathe. Absolute life saver for my EMS, but now his teeth are not able to cope with a muzzle I have my fingers crossed for this summer. I imported mine from the USA, and one mask lasted him almost three summers. They are big enough to allow the jaw free movement, but come with a headcollar that is not quite a good fit. I used to put an old leg strap off a rug round his neck through the headband, and secure it with a plastic spring clip. Oh - and drive an awl through the velcro fastening and feed a cable tie through it.
He was in a Dinky muzzle before that but I found it rubbed the end of his nose.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I think the problem you have it that once they have discovered that by securing and yanking they can get it off your a bit stuck. All muzzles have a breaking point so you can try any number of brands but will probably have the same thing happen.
I had to give up on mine that worked it out! Can you strip graze maybe instead?

chaps89

Visit site
I use the ultimate muzzle, they are designed to fit a bit bigger than a traditional bucket muzzle, various websites have fitting instructions and the sizes for them. Even the one who hated being muzzled tolerates this one