Alternatives to Hay Bars

fornema

Visit site
I’m looking for options other than hay bars, purely as one wall is a large metal door and one wood front to the stable, so need something I can attach into both surfaces and I do not think this is possible with a hay bar and limited DIY skills.

To be used for soaked hay with a minimum of 2 soaked nets needing to fit. Any ideas?

Birker2020

Visit site
I’m looking for options other than hay bars, purely as one wall is a large metal door and one wood front to the stable, so need something I can attach into both surfaces and I do not think this is possible with a hay bar and limited DIY skills.

To be used for soaked hay with a minimum of 2 soaked nets needing to fit. Any ideas?
I have kindly been given a newish hay cube by someone giving up horses. I was debating leaving it in the field for winter hay feeding but I'm thinking I might just put it in one corner of the stable instead of my hay bar.
That's when I get my new horse that is!

Last edited:

LJF0664

Visit site
I use a hay sling instead - I got it from ebay, not sure if it was this one, but you get the idea!

They are cheaper than a hay bar, and attach to 4 separate screw in rings so doesn't need flat walls.

Abacus

Visit site
The sling is clever but I prefer them to eat food from on the ground and on this, the hay on the top is at head height. I use big sturdy wooden boxes that were being sold as planters, both in the fields and stable. They are so heavy that they don't need any fixings.

Jambarissa

Visit site
Mine need slowing down but I hate them eating from a height. They're barefoot so tried hay pillows last year which worked fine for eating but quite often got poo'd or wee'd on.

This year I've bought a giant gorilla tug, put hay in net and thread through a hole in the bottom and tie it well so no big loops. Then handles of the tub are bailer twined to low rings on the corner walls.

Haven't been in overnight yet but so far so good, eating from floor height without being able to guzzle it in minutes.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Mine need slowing down but I hate them eating from a height. They're barefoot so tried hay pillows last year which worked fine for eating but quite often got poo'd or wee'd on.

This year I've bought a giant gorilla tug, put hay in net and thread through a hole in the bottom and tie it well so no big loops. Then handles of the tub are bailer twined to low rings on the corner walls.

Haven't been in overnight yet but so far so good, eating from floor height without being able to guzzle it in minutes.

I used to clip a small hole haynet on the floor to the wall, that worked really well too..