Alternatives to labs/ GR's.

Onyxia

Visit site
I have nothing against them and they will fit my family like a glove, they just don't "do it" for me.
Any more unusual suggestions with the lovely qualities of them very welcome!

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
Large Munsterlander - plenty of puppies on the ground at the moment (too many in my eyes but hey ho cant do anything about it now!)

Loyal, trustworthy, easily trained, affectionate, GREAT with kids and other animal. Love walks and are as soft hearted as they come :)

Archangel

Visit site
Another vote for Flatcoats. We have a lot round here at the moment and without exception they are fantastic (and some really quite tall).

Onyxia

Visit site
Great danes :D

ROFL!
They were first suggestion,but think poor OH would have a heart attack at the thought of all the slobber near his PC :p

I don't dislike them as such Galaxy, if I tried i would not be able to find a bad word to say about them..... I guess it's just that if I was buying only for myself, it would be a Border Collie or a mastiff but that would not be the best fit for us as a family.

s4sugar

Visit site
So you obviously like bigger dogs an not too much hair?

I'm with you on not liking Labs & goldies and in fact some of the nastiest dogs I've ever mat have been these breeds - closely followed by cocker spaniels. Flat coats are much more reliable but that is probably down to not having so much irresponsible breeding.
(I tend to see the worst examples by default)

Munsterlanders, Welsh springers, smooth collies might fit or how about a greyhound unless skinny dogs don't do it for you?

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Irish water spaniel (if you can find one) Ive had 2 now and they have both been fab dogs, good tempered, very easy family dog and they dont shed, result!!

galaxy

Visit site
So you obviously like bigger dogs an not too much hair?

I'm with you on not liking Labs & goldies and in fact some of the nastiest dogs I've ever mat have been these breeds - closely followed by cocker spaniels. )

agreed! It was a "family GR" that badly bit my arm 18 months ago. I was only holding his collar!

If you are after a great family dog, but are willing to do the exercise GSPs are fantastic with children. I don't have kids, so H wasn't brought up with them, but he is great with them (we do see kids quite a lot). Smooth collies as already suggested are also nice dogs (if they float your boat). My brother has one and she's a real sweetie. Be prepared to have to wait to get one though. There are very few breeders.

The Original Kao

Visit site
ROFL!
They were first suggestion,but think poor OH would have a heart attack at the thought of all the slobber near his PC :p

I don't dislike them as such Galaxy, if I tried i would not be able to find a bad word to say about them..... I guess it's just that if I was buying only for myself, it would be a Border Collie or a mastiff but that would not be the best fit for us as a family.

yes the spaghetti drool after having a drink isn't for everyone :D
Why not have a look at some rescues for a mongrel? There might be some type of cross breed that might fit? :D

Wundahorse

Visit site
I would go with the Border Collie.Great breed,very bidable and they just want to please.They also do not steal food and check out the picnic tables lioke Labs.I have two Collies and a Lab,the latter being a complete culture shock after many years of Border Collie owning.

Onyxia

Visit site
yes the spaghetti drool after having a drink isn't for everyone :D

yes...sadly, OH has spent a lot of time with my aunts lads over the years and while he is very fond of them, is also very glad that he does not live with them :D :p

Why not have a look at some rescues for a mongrel? There might be some type of cross breed that might fit? :D
I may do, but I had really hoped to buy a purebred this time.
All my dogs in the past have been foundlings, so never had the chance to pick one from a good litter :(

In short, I need the ultimate family first dog for son (age 7) and OH (doggy numpty :p ), that still has enough brain to be a bit more fun in obedience and agility for me.
Am off to google the suggestions made here :D

Wundahorse,I decided against BC's as OH is a very novice dog handler and if I am not about for some reason he would be the one looking after the dog.
All the BC's I have met have been the most amazing dogs while with someone who knows how to handle them, but have had a rather good (if slightly cruel) sense of humour with people who do not know what to do :p

Onyxia

Visit site
agreed! It was a "family GR" that badly bit my arm 18 months ago. I was only holding his collar!
:eek: :( There do seem to be more bad about then good examples now, victim of it's own success I guess :(

If you are after a great family dog, but are willing to do the exercise GSPs are fantastic with children. I don't have kids, so H wasn't brought up with them, but he is great with them (we do see kids quite a lot). Smooth collies as already suggested are also nice dogs (if they float your boat). My brother has one and she's a real sweetie. Be prepared to have to wait to get one though. There are very few breeders.
Thanks for the suggestion :)
I go for a 2 to 3 hour walk on weekdays and have a young boy so exercise is not going to be an issue :p Little brother has mentioned a dalmatian, have always wanted one of those- as if there was not already enough choice :eek: LOL!

galaxy

Visit site
ah! You want to do agility!!!!

Harleyagility.jpg

My trainer (normal collie person) LOVES him, says he's really fast and he's got his first big UKA show in April! You need a GSP!!

smiffyimp

Visit site
I agree with Labs, not their biggest fan, but thats prob to being overbred to death! I do however LURVE my Retrievers, my boy is full working lines and exactly what I would expect in a Retriever - plus he's my pal:D
IMG_3666.jpg

If you are having a really mental day and fancy a hoot then you def have to go for the Irish Setter. I can vouch that they have no brain what so ever, but they will keep you laughing in your darkest hour:D
IMG_4051.jpg

hjohnson93

Visit site
Boxer, we have 3. Perfect family dogs and great fun. Somehow managed to get a bit of a 'fighting dog' label but they are really the most loving little things!

Blanche

Down the road,up the hill,second gate on the left
Visit site
Smiffyimp love that photo of your Irish Setter.:D

Dalmatians are great family dogs but so are collies , had both when my children were young . Dalmatians have a high exercise requirement but you seem to have that covered, so not a problem . The only thing I will just add is that dallies are cleverer than a lot of people appreciate and can have YOU trained in ways you didn't realise possible until too late !;)They are great dogs and fun loving and love them but not for everyone . Oh and the white hairs , oh dear me the white hairs !:eek: Heres a couple of photos of my daughter playing with one of mine ( please excuse her attire , she had dressed herself !She's in her twenties now and dresses much better!)They had a great game dragging the trailer all round the garden.
scan0031.jpg

scan0034.jpg

vieshot

Visit site
Get a border collie! You already fancy one and with enough exercise they are great family dogs! They will play all day with the kids and will happily join out riding even on the fastest of rides! They learn quickly and are as loyal as they come. I will always own a border, even when I have a family of my own