Alternatives to Linseed for dry, itchy skin?

Unicorn

Visit site
My lovely pony has very dry skin, especially along his mane, which gets very itchy and he's starting to rub a lot of mane out. I'm doing my best to help with lotions and potions, but would like to support more from the inside. Vet reckons it isn't sweetitch, just dry skin.

He's a 14.2hh 17 yr old Connie, currently living out with access to a stable. He's in pretty good shape, but doesn't need any more condition. Currently he's getting a small amount of soaked grass nuts with his EquiVita vits and mins and a little bit of hay overnight.

I've tried adding linseed, but it seemed to make him even more itchy, and I'm at a bit of a loss as to what else to try. All suggestions welcome!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Have you ever tested him for cushings itchy problem skin is a symptom?

One of mine is a bit itchy so in the summer I use dermoline medicated shampoo on his mane as that is where he rubs, I make sure I do it every few weeks more often if need be, I also use benzyl benzoate in between to calm the itch.

PSD

Visit site
Brewers yeast. Fantastic for itchy ponies, I’ve seen a huge difference in my filly since I added it to her feed, removed all sugars from the diet and I also put a fly rug on mine with mtg in the itchy areas.

Unicorn

Visit site
Thank you both

Have you ever tested him for cushings itchy problem skin is a symptom?

One of mine is a bit itchy so in the summer I use dermoline medicated shampoo on his mane as that is where he rubs, I make sure I do it every few weeks more often if need be, I also use benzyl benzoate in between to calm the itch.

I do much the same - it all seems to help keep things calm(ish) but any more help would be good. I hadn't even thought of testing for cushings - that might well be worth doing, I hadn't realised that was a symptom, so thank you!

Brewers yeast. Fantastic for itchy ponies, I’ve seen a huge difference in my filly since I added it to her feed, removed all sugars from the diet and I also put a fly rug on mine with mtg in the itchy areas.

I shall get some ordered! I've tried mtg and that seems to make him itchier, as does a fly rug - he seems to use it as a cheesegrater :( Same with fly masks. He's a funny wee chap.

AFB

Visit site

Does brewers yeast help with skin condition or just itchiness? It's not something I've ever used - linseed has helped our scurfy bits but not gotten rid entirely. No itchiness though.

PSD

Visit site
Does brewers yeast help with skin condition or just itchiness? It's not something I've ever used - linseed has helped our scurfy bits but not gotten rid entirely. No itchiness though.

well mine had really dry flaky skin, but she was itching too. The flaking has stopped, skin appears healthier and no itching

MiniMilton

Visit site
One of mine developed itchy mane and skin. Linseed made absolutely no difference and his coat looked worse on it. Turned out he had an underlying liver issue. His liver enzymes were out of balance so had to go on a completely fat free diet and I gave him legaphyton (a suppliment with liver thistle)
Liver enzymes eventually returned to normal and itchy skin stopped.

Surbie

Visit site
Mine won't reliably eat BY. He has sweetitch we think. He does happily scoff linseed, and I've tried all the lotions, but the gamechanger this year has been regularly applying small amounts of oil along the crest and rubbing in well. Same with his tail. He's rugged 24/7 so I don't need to worry about burning, just keeping the skin moisturised.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Mine won't reliably eat BY. He has sweetitch we think. He does happily scoff linseed, and I've tried all the lotions, but the gamechanger this year has been regularly applying small amounts of oil along the crest and rubbing in well. Same with his tail. He's rugged 24/7 so I don't need to worry about burning, just keeping the skin moisturised.
On my sweetitch lad I have found neem oil great for this

Unicorn

Visit site
One of mine developed itchy mane and skin. Linseed made absolutely no difference and his coat looked worse on it. Turned out he had an underlying liver issue. His liver enzymes were out of balance so had to go on a completely fat free diet and I gave him legaphyton (a suppliment with liver thistle)
Liver enzymes eventually returned to normal and itchy skin stopped.

Did he have any other symptoms, or was it just the itchy mane and skin?

MiniMilton

Visit site
Did he have any other symptoms, or was it just the itchy mane and skin?

He was also a little bit depressed. Nothing that anyone else would notice, only me. He just seemed like his spark was gone. I thought maybe he had something viral going on and I was shocked with the blood results. I'm OCD about ragworth etc so I don't know how it happened. Luckily it was caught early and fully resolved.