Alternatives to Neue Schule (feeling like a cheapskate now!)

Widgeon

Visit site
I've just bought a second bridle (for smart!) and am facing up to the fact that I am too lazy / strapped for time to be swapping bits over. My usual bridle is a plastic endurance one which comes out for hacking and whenever it's raining. Horse is in a 5.75" Neue Schule loose ring trans-angled lozenge, which he seems to like. However at £40+ postage for second hand, I can't really afford another one at the moment. Are there any decent alternatives? He's not overly precious about his mouth so it just needs to be the right shape and design. Shires maybe? I'd keep the "nice" bit for schooling. Not sure why but for some reason I don't trust my Google skills with this particular decision!

sportsmansB

Visit site
I got one off ebay for the same purpose, mine's not fussy either
If you put the NS exact one into ebay it brought up the cheaper copies too
Think mine was about £22

Widgeon

Visit site
I got one off ebay for the same purpose, mine's not fussy either
If you put the NS exact one into ebay it brought up the cheaper copies too
Think mine was about £22

You're a star, thank you! I wouldn't have thought of that, I use FB Marketplace a lot more than eBay for horsey stuff. I've found what appears to be the right thing for the grand sum of £16.95 including postage - not sure whether I should be afraid of this tbh :eek: A bit's not complicated though is it, how hard can it be....(nobody answer that).

Widgeon

Visit site
I've ended up finding an HKM bit that appears essentially the same - £21 posted from the Horse Bit Shop. Might go for that - seems like a sensible mid ground between cheap and reputable!

SpotsandBays

Visit site
Be careful ordering cheap ones of eBay. I ordered two bits and they had sharp edges and manufacturing marks all over. I didn’t use them!
Expert Bits do a bit similar to the trans angled lozenge and they’re really helpful to speak to also!
or Eldonian bits also do one

AFB

Visit site
I've had a NS cheapie from eBay - it was fine to use, well balanced & well made, but a year down the line the rings were starting to rust so the materials aren't up to scratch.

Widgeon

Visit site
Just bought a second hand one in the end from a small site called Second Hand Horse Bits - it was £21 including postage and looks good quality. I was also a bit worried about the quality of the rings etc on the cheap new ones. And Horse Bit Shop gets some terrible reviews on this forum so I decided not to risk it.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Be careful ordering cheap ones of eBay. I ordered two bits and they had sharp edges and manufacturing marks all over. I didn’t use them!
Expert Bits do a bit similar to the trans angled lozenge and they’re really helpful to speak to also!
or Eldonian bits also do one

Agree with this I use eldonian bits and am looking to buy a few on expert bits.