Alternatives to Steward Clogs ...... help and advice needed

Eaglestone

Visit site
It's me an Motor again needing some help ..........

This was my last post on this subject ......
http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=516452

Motor hinds were fitted with Steward Clogs at the beginning of March and in April he had them fitted to his fores.

He was instantly very comfortable and only required 3 nails in each shoe, together with special 'tape' and they stayed on 100%.

However the continuing issue, mainly due to our wet Summer, was the constant worry about his stability and the risk of him slipping over, when the ground was wet. He resembled Bambi and lost a lot of confidence :(

Therefore, after speaking to the Farrier, he was fitted with shoes again on his fores, together with pads.

Unfortunately, although we have gained 50% more stability, he is feeling his feet again ......

So what other options are there out there .... basically, I am after Steward Clogs with shoes strapped on them, for grip and stability ..... is there anything out there, which will be more suitable?

I look forward to hearing of any suggestions.

Last edited:

KSR

Visit site
My horse had Steward clogs for a few months before he died last month.. We never had a problem with grip though.. Is there nothing you could tape on the bottom with a grip or part of a rubber/plastic doormat or something? Or ask farrier about hammering some road nails into the bottom of them.. No idea how effective either would be though..

Eaglestone

Visit site
Thanks for your advice KSR and l am sorry to hear of you loss :-(

We discussed road nails and decided it would not a good idea for Motor .... Interesting idea about the door mat, will try and do some lateral thinkiThanks for your advice KSR and l am sorry to hear of you loss :-(

We discussed road nails and decided it would not a good idea Motor .... Interesting idea about the door mat, will try and do some lateral thinking, with this idea :)

LeneHorse

Visit site
sorry can't help but hope you find something that works for him. Have you tried the Yahoo group - maybe more experience on there.?

Nari

Visit site
Not sure how similar my boy's case was to Motor's, but my farrier fitted shoes with frog supports & put soft putty under the pads for extra support & cushioning.

KSR

Visit site
Try hopeforsoundness.com or total foot protection.. It's where my farrier got my special bits from and they may have a solution or product to increase grip on the clog..